News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Being marry or single

Started by Tom89t, January 10, 2012, 12:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: Steve on February 18, 2012, 12:00:51 AM
Quote from: NE2 on February 17, 2012, 09:30:06 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 17, 2012, 09:09:50 PM
I believe that I could get a fairly strong show of hands with 'autistic/aspergers' roadgeeks, too.
That's not fair. You can do that anywhere on the internet.
Wikipedia rates its editors based on the autism spectrum. You can't get in the door without having issues.

:lol:

I do get a certain pleasure with creating an article, and then watching it be one of maybe 10 a day be the only one that survives. But I have probably made five edits in the last three years, I get the idea that a wiki is probably the worst possible means of communication between humans (perhaps by mentioning that, I am throwing a dart at my particular area of my undiagnosed autism spectrum).

hbelkins

I think females just tend to be less "geeky" in general. Face it, ours is an odd hobby/interest/infatuation/obsession. Even among males, it's not usual.

Even stereotypical descriptions of descriptions have a gender bias. Guys look "geeky." Women look "smart" or "intellectual."  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Steve on February 17, 2012, 12:32:58 AM
Quote from: vtk on February 17, 2012, 12:11:06 AM
I wonder which is more common, gay roageeks or girl roadgeeks? Both groups have a tendency to be "in the closet" I think, so the answer may be elusive.
Gay roadgeeks by 10:1. Everyone knows it.
Not me, though.

US71

We ask only a man's worth, not the accident of his condition.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kphoger

My wife likes road trips just fine, up until the point when you just have to get the HECK OUT OF THE CAR because you can't take another hour of it.  This is good, considering we drive everywhere we go now that we have kids.  We just got back from a 1550-mile round trip for a wedding.  She doesn't mind my goofy love of roundabouts, DDIs, and such–even expects me to plan our route to go through them.  However, I don't think she'd be up for a twenty mile detour to see a button-copy sign.  Fortunately I'm not that kind of roadgeek.

The way in which I am a total geek is that I always have our entire route planned out, including fuel and meal stops, ahead of time.  Everyone else chuckles at me, but not my wife.

There are certain things, though, that a person should expect to have to give up upon getting married.  I value marriage and family much more highly than I value roadgeekery.  The odd lucky person (no pun intended) might find a fellow roadgeek spouse, but don't count on it.  I more or less gave up hitchhiking when I got married (except for hitching home from work back in Illinois when she had the car); sure, my feet got itchy every so often, but so what?  The value of a praiseworthy wife is worth so much more than mere travel whims.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ctsignguy

I would prefer to be married....now if i can find a nice lady who lives in Ohio, and likes to go on the occasional weekend road trips to where ever, and can tolerate signs and a sizable sign collection, i would be all set. (now, the question would be...could she tolerate ME?)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2012, 06:41:25 PM....

The way in which I am a total geek is that I always have our entire route planned out, including fuel and meal stops, ahead of time.  Everyone else chuckles at me, but not my wife.

I do the opposite, especially on fuel. I try to go as far as I can without stopping and I tell my wife that if she needs to stop for the toilet or if she gets hungry, she has to tell me or I may not stop (though often if we're approaching a rest area I will ask if she needs to stop). I base the gas stop on when the yellow light comes on; once that happens, I'll stop quickly if I don't know the area but I'll stretch it if I know I can get away with it. My wife prefers to stop for gas before the yellow light comes on and it drives her crazy that I will check the "Miles to Empty" gauge on the trip computer, see "10 miles" listed, and then drive another 25 miles before I stop for gas. (Thing is, I know the "Miles to Empty" gauge zeroes out early, and I also know it's an estimate. I take it as my signal to start thinking about refueling.) My record in my current car is 455 miles before filling up. I'd like to break that record, but our recent roadtrips have been to the south and the natural point to stop for gas is in the Florence, SC, area. I could go further, but then there are fewer stations.

My wife is willing to put up with SOME road-related detours. She was perfectly happy to go over the Dames Point Bridge east of Jacksonville or to take the FL-417 toll beltway around Orlando instead of going straight through. She doesn't mind my opting for the scenic roads over the Interstate once we've reached, or are close to reaching, our ultimate destination, and she doesn't mind when I'll take a parallel road just because I'm tired of another one (for example, I-295 versus the New Jersey Turnpike). But if a detour or scenic route will add more than half an hour to the trip, she makes her displeasure known unless the detour is due to a significant backup on the main road. Back in 2007 we went out to Wyoming for the UVA at Wyoming football game and I missed a turn on the way back and wound up going 125 miles out of the way. At first she was loving the scenery, but I was quickly made aware that the long detour was not appreciated!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

I plan stops every couple of hours due to fatigue issues:  neither one of us is good at driving for more than about 150 miles at a stretch without taking a quick break, but we can easily do 700+ miles if we switch drivers every so often.  So I make sure to even those stretches out as much as possible, and that there is a choice of restaurants around meal time.

There was one time that having my wife tell me not to take a detour saved me.  We were driving I-44 across Missouri in snowy weather, and traffic was all jammed up somewhere along in there.  I checked the map and saw a way around the traffic using secondary state highways for about 15 miles or so.  Then she told me in no uncertain terms that it is unwise to use the lettered routes during heavy snows.  The traffic jam soon ended, and we were happily NOT in a ditch along some farm road.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.