News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicHasClass

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2021, 01:15:26 PM
Odd to post a I-80 west shield here. https://goo.gl/maps/qdtHpHWHa6M8sZA9A
Being the road ahead connects only with EB I-80.

You can get there by taking US 46 west, but then they shouldn't bother with a direction banner at all.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/vrgz7se3rYPajEPg6
The fact there is a milepost for the Garden State Parkway meant to be seen from the frontage road on a wall.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

Entrance ramp from northbound US-24 to eastbound I-696.  The "Rouge River" sign can be seen only from the ramp, not from the mainline.  Should have been posted on the far side of the bridge.
https://goo.gl/maps/srBvAb9rHniY2cid9

Weird combination of very different font sizes, westbound I-696 in Oak Park.  I would expect to see this in Maryland, not Michigan.
https://goo.gl/maps/BzxPxRvKsdC5cNYv7

thenetwork

Not necessarily a sign per se, but definitely an oddity:

This was a photo taken on then-US-21/The Willow Freeway at the Cleveland/Newburgh Hts., OH border likely in the 1940s or early 50s.  Today this would be I-77 at the Fleet Avenue overpass.

What makes this freeway shot interesting is that there is a phone booth that was installed in the middle of a freeway.  Why?  Hell if I know...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/533195343518644/permalink/1815713381933494/

If you look through the earliest comments, there is a wider shot of the overpass. 

The bridge has since been rebuilt, same location now:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zNVvKfRzUCKQnWnU9

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

This assembly translates to "new signage in 2km"... okay, what is the new signage?

Well, it seems like it is work zone signage. Clearly not the right sign for this (plus, the "DANS 2km" isn't in any standards book).
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 06, 2021, 12:19:34 AM
This assembly translates to "new signage in 2km"... okay, what is the new signage?

Well, it seems like it is work zone signage. Clearly not the right sign for this (plus, the "DANS 2km" isn't in any standards book).

Is 'lentement' an adverb?  I think most other languages would just put their equivalent of 'lent' on the sign.

In English, the equivalent sign would say 'slowly'.  In Spanish, 'despaciamente'.  And both would just sound really weird to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 10:04:34 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 06, 2021, 12:19:34 AM

Is 'lentement' an adverb?  I think most other languages would just put their equivalent of 'lent' on the sign.

In English, the equivalent sign would say 'slowly'.  In Spanish, 'despaciamente'.  And both would just sound really weird to me.

"Lentement" is the standard... for STOP/SLOW paddles. It shouldn't be used for anything but those paddles.

In a way, it tells you "allez lentement" (go slow).
—Mr. Thwomp

J N Winkler

It's also worth noting the "Lentement" sign in this StreetView extract doesn't actually use the FHWA series.

Yellow-background "Lentement" used to be one of those signs English-speaking tourists were warned about in Québec, so it came as a surprise to me to learn it hasn't been authorized since at least 1998.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

LilianaUwU

I don't get the purpose of this town line sign on Autoroute 50. If it's meant as a sort of reference marker, then why does it look so much of a road sign? It should look more like this.
—Mr. Thwomp

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 06, 2021, 09:43:51 PM
I don't get the purpose of this town line sign on Autoroute 50. If it's meant as a sort of reference marker, then why does it look so much of a road sign? It should look more like this.

It appears to mark the municipal boundary between the two.  There's another sign on the other side of the highway, and that is precisely where Google Maps has the Lachute municipal boundary crossing A-50.  Yet it's more in the style of a divide sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 09:53:55 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 06, 2021, 09:43:51 PM

It appears to mark the municipal boundary between the two.  There's another sign on the other side of the highway, and that is precisely where Google Maps has the Lachute municipal boundary crossing A-50.  Yet it's more in the style of a divide sign.

Yeah, I thought the same as well. But it would usually be in the style of the Lévis sign I posted, hence the confusion as to why that sign is the way it is.
—Mr. Thwomp

vdeane

Looks like MTQ decided to borrow Vermont's way of signing it, though I'm pretty sure in VT that's only with surface roads; interstates use this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: vdeane on May 06, 2021, 10:16:37 PM
Looks like MTQ decided to borrow Vermont's way of signing it, though I'm pretty sure in VT that's only with surface roads; interstates use this.

Yup, if anything, it should be on a surface road. How is a driver meant to see this going 100 km/h on a freeway?
—Mr. Thwomp

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

^^ I was more compelled by "LANE ONLY" rather than "EXIT ONLY" verbiage.

LilianaUwU

Here's a sign for a private alley labeled as Pimpin' Avenue.

Also worth noting is the high quality Street View capture from 2008.
—Mr. Thwomp

LilianaUwU

It seems as though the EXIT ONLY tab on this sign has had its lettering fade to black to white.
—Mr. Thwomp

Scott5114

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 10, 2021, 10:46:19 PM
It seems as though the EXIT ONLY tab on this sign has had its lettering fade to black to white.

Ah yes, the days before ODOT signage went to total dogshit...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

This is the best they could come up with?

SEA Airport Expy @ WA-518, SeaTac, WA

"Burien" is crammed between the down arrows. Meanwhile the shields are 19 miles apart with a gaping chasm of nothingness between them.

plain

Quote from: jakeroot on May 14, 2021, 02:18:14 AM
This is the best they could come up with?

SEA Airport Expy @ WA-518, SeaTac, WA

"Burien" is crammed between the down arrows. Meanwhile the shields are 19 miles apart with a gaping chasm of nothingness between them.

Indeed a horrible design. The WA shields are too far down, which probably forced Burien down between the arrows. This actually might be a contender for Worst Of.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I just remembered something I meant to post to that thread.
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2021, 09:49:03 AM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51119098699_3da2b99ed5_4k.jpg

This one with the fraction in larger numerals than the whole number.

Anybody else think they should bring in route F to make it a triplex, and then rearrange the W and T?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.