News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Johnson County Gateway

Started by route56, April 10, 2014, 10:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Today, KDOT had a public presentation on the Johnson County Gateway project.

Here's what's in the cards:

• K-10 and Ridgeview will become a DDI. For now, Ridgeview does not extend north of K-10. Interestingly, the sidewalk for Ridgeview is in the Median between the crossovers.

• There will be a C-D ramp connecting K-10 just west of Renner with I-35. The off-ramps to Renner and Northbound I-435 will also be tied to this C-D ramp.

• The existing folded diamond loop ramp connecting Renner to eastbound K-10 will instead connect to the new C-D ramp. A new ramp will be constructed connecting Renner with eastbound K-10/I-435.

• The exit for both I-35 and Lackman on southbound I-435 will be just past the K-10 exit, before eastbound K-10 merges into 435.

• New ramps for Lackman to and from eastbound 435. There will also be a exit for Lackman on K-10 before it merges onto 435. Lackman will also have a ramp to the C-D road, giving it a connection to I-35.

• The 435 mainline gets widened to 4 and in some place 5 lanes each direction.

• The ramp from I-35 to westbound 435 will also have a C-D ramp, merging with northbound 435 past K-10. It will also connect to the existing westbound 435 ramps to/from Lackman. There's a new ramp connecting mainline 435 with Lackman.

• The existing single-lane flyover ramps from 435 to 35 will be replaced by two-lane ramps.

• There will also be a DDI on I-35 at 95th Street. In addition, there will be new ramps connecting 95th to the frontage roads on both sides of I-35. The connection to the west frontage road will resemble a folded-diamond "dumbbell" interchange (that's right, a DDI and roundabouts in the same complex!) while the east fronage road utilizes a more traditional look. (The east frontage road does not extend north of 95th, the west frontage road does.

Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

mvak36

Did they say when they'd start construction? In the spring? Or will they wait till the summer to start?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

route56

The latest Press release from KDOT:

College Boulevard Public Open House Scheduled for April 24 in Olathe

The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) and the cities of Olathe and Lenexa are hosting a public open house for improvements to College Boulevard between Ridgeview Road and Renner Boulevard in Johnson County on Thursday, April 24, 2014. The public is invited to attend the open house anytime between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. at the Grace Methodist Church in the Grace Gathering Room, 11458 S. Ridgeview Road in Olathe.

At the open house, attendees can learn about the upcoming College Boulevard construction project plans and schedule. KDOT and city staff along with the design-build contractor, Gateway Interchange Constructors, will be on hand to answer questions. There will be no formal presentations.

College Boulevard will be improved to two-lanes in each direction between Ridgeview Road and Renner Boulevard. These improvements were added to the Johnson County Gateway Phase 2 Design Build Project since College Boulevard could be used as an alternative route during project construction on K-10. College Boulevard is one of the first scheduled roadway portions for construction in Phase 2 of the Gateway Project. Construction will begin later this spring and is scheduled to be completed this fall (2014).

The I-435/I-35/K-10 interchange is one of the most congested interchanges in the state. The Johnson County Gateway Phase 2 Design-Build Project will address 90 percent of the existing problems drivers experience today and 50 percent of projected 2040 traffic problems. Phase 2 construction will start later this spring and all work is scheduled to be completed by December 31, 2016, seven months ahead of the original schedule.

The Johnson County Gateway is KDOT's first design-build project. Design-build will streamline project delivery allowing early collaboration between the contractor and the designer. This early collaboration can result in project innovations, faster project delivery and more predictable costs.

For more information on the design-build process or the Johnson County Gateway Project, please contact Burt Morey at (913) 764-4525 or bmorey@ksdot.org. Additional project background can be found on the project website: www.jocogateway.com.
For information on other Kansas City Metro Area Projects, please contact Kimberly Qualls, Northeast Kansas Public Affairs Manager, at (785) 640-9340 or kqualls@ksdot.org.

R.P.K.

route56

Quote from: mvak36 on April 11, 2014, 10:27:33 AM
Did they say when they'd start construction? In the spring? Or will they wait till the summer to start?

The groundbreaking for the project is Tomorrow:

Quote from: Kim Qualls, KDOT District 1 Public Affairs Manager
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 21, 2014

News Contact:  Kimberly Qualls, (785) 640-9340 or kqualls@ksdot.org

Media Invited to Johnson County Gateway Design-Build Project Groundbreaking

The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) invites you to join us on Tuesday, April 22 at 2:00 p.m. for a groundbreaking event for Kansas' first design-build project, the Johnson County Gateway Phase 2 Project in Lenexa (Johnson County).

Kansas Governor Sam Brownback, KDOT Secretary Mike King and several local dignitaries will speak at tomorrow's ceremonial event.

Date:  Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Time:  2:00 p.m.

Location:  Quest Diagnostics, 10101 Renner Boulevard, Lenexa, KS - South Parking Lot Facing K-10. In case of inclement weather, the event will be held onsite inside the Quest Diagnostics Building.

R.P.K.

mvak36

route56

[Thread exhumation permit number 435-46 K-1502]

A major step in the Johnson County gateway project -- the new C/D ramp between Southbound I-435/Eastbound K-10 and I-35 -- will open tomorrow, October 22. Here's the press release from KDOT:

TRAFFIC ALERT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - October 16, 2015 [sic]

Eastbound K-10 & Southbound I-435 to I-35/Lackman Road MAJOR TRAFFIC SWITCH Set for Tomorrow, Friday, October 23

Your commute is about to change. You will need to pay extra attention as your exits have moved.

Eastbound K-10 and southbound I-435 traffic, your access to I-35 and Lackman Road is now changing. The NEW eastbound collector distributor road for eastbound K-10 and southbound I-435 traffic to northbound and southbound I-35 has been completed and will open to traffic beginning at 5 a.m. on  Friday, October 23, weather permitting. The new eastbound I-435 to Lackman Road ramp will also open to traffic at the same time.

> > > Here's what this means for drivers, you will need to make your exit decision sooner dependent on where you are heading. See video links below.

• Eastbound K-10 exit to I-35 is now before Renner Boulevard.
  • Eastbound K-10 to Lackman Road exit is now about 1/2-mile before Lackman Road.
  • Southbound I-435 to I-35 and Lackman Road access is now just south of 95th Street before the curve to eastbound I-435.
    In preparation for Friday morning's opening, the following overnight ramp I-435 & I-35 interchange ramp closures will take place for temporary barrier and asphalt work.

EXPECT DELAYS! WEEKDAY OVERNIGHT RAMP CLOSURES: Eastbound I-435 to northbound and southbound I-35 ramps will be CLOSED for the traffic switch to the new eastbound collector-distributor (C-D) road system beginning at 10 p.m. on Thursday, October 22 and will reopen to traffic at 5 a.m. on Friday, October 23, weather permitting. Message boards will direct traffic to detour via eastbound I-435 to Quivira Road back on westbound I-435 to access northbound and southbound I-35.

REDUCING WEAVING MOVEMENTS BY ADDING COLLECTOR-DISTRIBUTOR ROADS ON THE #JOCOGATEWAY PROJECT[/size]

R.P.K.

mvak36

Quote from: route56 on October 22, 2015, 01:57:09 PM
[Thread exhumation permit number 435-46 K-1502]

A major step in the Johnson County gateway project -- the new C/D ramp between Southbound I-435/Eastbound K-10 and I-35 -- will open tomorrow, October 22. Here's the press release from KDOT:

Looks like Google Maps is in the process of adding the new ramps. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9440558,-94.7653245,15z

route56

Quote from: mvak36 on October 23, 2015, 09:01:16 AM
Looks like Google Maps is in the process of adding the new ramps. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9440558,-94.7653245,15z

I'll be going out and doing GPS traces for OSM this afternoon before going to work. I'll fix OSM over the weekend.

Despite a few showers, all the ramps opened this morning as scheduled.

TRAFFIC ALERT — UPDATE!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 23, 2015

[image of dancing grey lolcat with the caption "THANK YOU!"]

#‎KCTRAFFIC > HAPPY DANCE! > Despite this morning's rainy weather, as of 5 a.m. TODAY, Friday, October 23, the MAJOR TRAFFIC SHIFT impacting how eastbound K-10 and southbound I-435 traffic now access Lackman Road and northbound and southbound I-35 via the NEW eastbound collector-distributor road system (Johnson County) was OPENED to all traffic. Also, the new eastbound I-435 to Lackman Road ramp was opened to traffic at the same time. (See more on today's detailed traffic shift in the traffic alert included below.)

A copy of yesterday's press release, posted upthread, was included in this morning's email blast - RPK

The Kansas Department of Transportation and the Gateway Project contractor, GIC, want to send a big THANK YOU to all KC Metro Area drivers for working your way through the NEWLY OPENED traffic shift on this morning's commute!

We also want to send another big THANK YOU to all our media and transportation partners who helped to share this major traffic shift information with KC Metro Area drivers! We are so blessed to work with so many incredible media and transportation partners who help to keep KC Metro Area drivers safe and informed on a daily basis all year long.

R.P.K.

mvak36

Quote from: route56 on October 23, 2015, 12:48:27 PM

I'll be going out and doing GPS traces for OSM this afternoon before going to work. I'll fix OSM over the weekend.

Despite a few showers, all the ramps opened this morning as scheduled.

Cool. I will drive that area tomorrow sometime.

route56

I should say I'll UPDATE! OSM tomorrow.

In the meantime, KDOT has posted two new drone videos.

From 435 to the new C/D road

From K-10 to the new C/D road

R.P.K.

route56

Some photos of new sines in the Gateway project

52359 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

52401 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
K-10 east at Ridgeview, approaching the new CD ramp to 35/NB 435, Before (10/10/15) and after (10/23/15) the new slip ramp to I-35 was opened.

52404 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Updating distances to exits on existing BGSs via orange patches (10/23/15)

52407 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
APL signage on the new C-D ramp (10/23/15)

52442 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Northbound Renner approaching K-10. (10/24/15)

52445 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Sine salad at Renner and the 35/NB 435 C-D ramp (10/24/15)

R.P.K.

Scott5114

Well, that's not what KDOT standard gantries look like. Buh???
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

route56

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2015, 01:26:53 AM
Well, that's not what KDOT standard gantries look like. Buh???

I guess the Contractor decided to try something new :)

R.P.K.

mvak36

Meeting Materials from Open House on November 5 regarding I-35 and 95th Street project next year:

http://jocogateway.com/95th-and-i-35-interchange-improvements-factsheet/

route56

The eastbound lanes of 435 have shifted onto the new bridges over Lackman and Santa Fe Trail Drive, and the new Lackman to EB 435 ramp is now open. New Photos.

52588x by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Upgraded to Sine Salad on southbound Lackman approaching 435.

52591x by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
The new ramp from Lackman to eastbound 435. Anybody notice anything quirky about that reassurance marker?

R.P.K.

ddonnelly19

US 50 isn't on that route at that point

Chris

route56

Quote from: ddonnelly19 on November 30, 2015, 12:43:35 PM
US 50 isn't on that route at that point

* route56 hands ddonnelly19 a cookie

HOWEVER.... whenever a highway begins a concurrency with a freeway, the first reassurance marker marking the beginning of the concurrency comes after the off-ramp. The new 435 marker has, in fact, been placed after the off-ramp to US 50 west. It just so happens that the ramp in question (435 south to I-35) comes before this on-ramp.

Thus, the sign is incorrect (traffic following US 50 east will not have joined I-435 yet) and correct (reassurance marker beginning the I-435/US 50 east duplex is after the exit that must be taken for US 50 west)

R.P.K.

mvak36

Driving on WB I-435 last week, it looked like they're about ready to open up a new lane between the Antioch on-ramp (onto 435 WB) and the Quivira exit. I don't know when they're going to open it, hopefully soon.

My best guess (from regularly driving through the area) is that the new lane would be a continuation of the Antioch on-ramp and would be the new exit lane to Quivira. The existing lane (that currently exits onto Quivira) would continue on I-435 WB as an extra lane (not sure where that lane would end though).  I can confirm once they open it.

EDIT: Never mind about them opening the extra lane soon. I drove through the area today and they restriped the WB lanes to make room for the reconstruction of the EB 435 lanes next year. I jumped the gun on that one.

route56

New APL sign on eastbound K-10:

52613 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

R.P.K.

Scott5114

Hm. Decent enough way of handling a three-way APL.

Still sticking with the weirdo gantries on K-10, I see. There weren't any on I-435 as of Thanksgiving.

route56

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 08, 2015, 11:41:43 AM
Still sticking with the weirdo gantries on K-10, I see. There weren't any on I-435 as of Thanksgiving.

One of the new-style gantries was being installed on I-435 south/eastbound near the I-35 ramp tonight.

R.P.K.

Scott5114

I wonder if they're unique to this project or if KDOT plans on transitioning to those statewide. The new ones aren't bad looking but they do stick out amongst the box gantries, and the box gantries are more versatile (i.e. you can put signs on both sides of a box gantry, and although it's possible to do it on the back of a triangular gantry, it looks really weird and is probably trickier).

mvak36

Quote from: route56 on December 10, 2015, 02:14:09 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 08, 2015, 11:41:43 AM

One of the new-style gantries was being installed on I-435 south/eastbound near the I-35 ramp tonight.

I drove through there today. Man, those things are pretty big. Maybe it was the size of them, but it felt like the clearance wasn't as high for some reason.

route56

One thing I am noticing about these new signs: The contractor is installing the truss with the signs already in place. It'll probably be more of a pain when the signs come do for replacement; OTOH, tagging should not be a problem :)

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.