News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Flashing red in all directions at an intersection

Started by bzakharin, September 02, 2014, 12:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

So I just encountered one of these on a signal somewhere in rural northeast PA. Took a while to figure out that's what it was, since I've never seen one before, and it's kind of hard to see the light displayed for cross traffic, so sat there waiting for the relatively heavy traffic on the cross street before figuring it out. I've heard of 4-way stop signs of course, but 4-way flashing reds don't give you any direct clue as to their existence. How common are these?

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

They have them in Alabama and there used to be one in Yeehaw Junction, FL at the intersection of FL 60 and US 441.  In most cases the STOP signs are still supposed to say 4 Way or ALL WAY.

Maybe you missed those signs as the MUTCD requires signals alone cannot be sole traffic control devices when being used as beacons.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Perhaps it wasn't clear from my post, but these appeared to be regular traffic signals (with red, yellow, and green balls) that happened to be flashing red in all directions. It wasn't anything like those permanent double-flashing red or yellow beacons I encounter quite frequently. In any case, there did not appear to be any stop signs in any direction at any approach.

corco

Quote from: bzakharin on September 02, 2014, 01:07:40 PM
Perhaps it wasn't clear from my post, but these appeared to be regular traffic signals (with red, yellow, and green balls) that happened to be flashing red in all directions. It wasn't anything like those permanent double-flashing red or yellow beacons I encounter quite frequently. In any case, there did not appear to be any stop signs in any direction at any approach.

Are you sure the power wasn't out?

bzakharin

Quote from: corco on September 02, 2014, 01:19:28 PM

Can't be 100 percent sure, but certainly there were no other signs of this. Why would that matter? Are traffic lights programmed to flash red when power is out? Or do you mean I didn't see the stop sign because the power was out? Since it was during the day, the latter is not the case.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on September 02, 2014, 01:45:32 PM

Can't be 100 percent sure, but certainly there were no other signs of this. Why would that matter? Are traffic lights programmed to flash red when power is out? Or do you mean I didn't see the stop sign because the power was out? Since it was during the day, the latter is not the case.

Depending on the default, they can be made to flash yellow/red, or all red.  Sometimes it depends on the sight conditions - if it's too dangerous for the side street to get a good sight view of the main road, it may have been programmed to default to all red.

It could have also been a new signal which are set to flash for a few weeks for motorists to get adjusted to it.  Same thing though - defaulted to all red because of limited-sight conditions.

Brandon

Quote from: bzakharin on September 02, 2014, 12:49:22 PM
So I just encountered one of these on a signal somewhere in rural northeast PA. Took a while to figure out that's what it was, since I've never seen one before, and it's kind of hard to see the light displayed for cross traffic, so sat there waiting for the relatively heavy traffic on the cross street before figuring it out. I've heard of 4-way stop signs of course, but 4-way flashing reds don't give you any direct clue as to their existence. How common are these?

Very common in some places if the signal isn't needed for lower traffic period such as the overnight hours.  In Michigan, it is not uncommon for rural or small town signals to default to flashing red or flashing red/yellow in the overnight hours.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 02, 2014, 01:49:39 PM

Depending on the default, they can be made to flash yellow/red, or all red.  Sometimes it depends on the sight conditions - if it's too dangerous for the side street to get a good sight view of the main road, it may have been programmed to default to all red.

It could have also been a new signal which are set to flash for a few weeks for motorists to get adjusted to it.  Same thing though - defaulted to all red because of limited-sight conditions.
I've seen red/yellow and all yellow before, but not all red. Learn something new every day, I guess

Big John

Can also be used when traffic is loo light to warrant regular usage of the signals, such as at nights and/or weekends.

freebrickproductions

The intersection of Holmes Avenue and Woodson Street here in Huntsville is currently flashing red in all directions due to Holmes being closed for a bridge replacement. I've seen it happen at other intersections like the intersection California Street, Fraser Avenue, and Lowe Avenue, and the intersection of Whitesburg Drive, Franklin Street, and Marsheutz Avenue. I have a video of the signals at the latter intersection flashing.
Most of the time, however, the signals flash yellow for the main road and red for the side streets.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

California uses them all around.  Also Orlando uses it at Oakridge Road and Orange Blossom Trail. 

The latter is up for discussion with the Orange County Traffic Engineering as Orange Blossom Trail should flash yellow in flash mode as Oakridge Road is not as major of a road as OBT is.  Even in normal timing you have to wait two light changes in the early morning rush hour to cross Oakridge Road which has only a few cars cross OBT when you have to wait.  It is all political reasons for this one that I do not want to go in to, but nonetheless it flashes as four way stop street when in beacon mode.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: bzakharin on September 02, 2014, 02:14:44 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 02, 2014, 01:49:39 PM

I've seen red/yellow and all yellow before, but not all red. Learn something new every day, I guess

A signal should never be set to all-way yellow flash mode--that's a safety concern, so I hope you haven't really seen that.

Depending on the signal cabinet hardware and battery backups, the signal can continue to operate during power failure--for some types of signalized intersections (SPUIs, complex intersections, intersections near rail crossings), battery backup is either highly suggested or required. I once got to see inside a signal cabinet with a City of Sparks (NV) traffic engineer. For the basic 4-way/8-phase intersection we were at, he explained that the battery backup could keep the signal operating in regular mode for about an hour, followed by up to 2 (or was it 4?) hours in all-way red flash mode.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

M3019C LPS20

When a signal controller loses its main power supply, a battery backup system (if present) kicks in, which temporarily provides additional juice. At a typical intersection, a small cabinet (rather narrow in appearance) contains this system. It is almost always next to the signal controller cabinet.

Normally, a signal controller (computerized) will only put itself into flash mode if the conflict monitor in the set-up detects an issue that cannot fix itself. Also, you could program a signal controller to activate flash mode at a particular time of the day. This is likely true for the set-up you saw in Pennsylvania.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadfro on September 03, 2014, 05:33:09 AM
A signal should never be set to all-way yellow flash mode--that's a safety concern, so I hope you haven't really seen that.
Please advise the studio that made "Cars".  The signal on flash in the town (Radiator Springs?) is on 4-way yellow flash, resulting in a "Hey..wait just a second here!" moment when I first saw the movie, which is probably why I belong on this forum...

Brian556

Quote from roadrunner75:
QuotePlease advise the studio that made "Cars".  The signal on flash in the town (Radiator Springs?) is on 4-way yellow flash, resulting in a "Hey..wait just a second here!" moment when I first saw the movie, which is probably why I belong on this forum...

This, along with the US 66 shield that said "ROUTE" in the state name area, are the two things that annoy me about this otherwise cool movie.

dgolub

I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere along the way, but they're rare in the New York area.  Most flashers here are yellow for one direction and red for the other.

Big John

IDOT has a policy if the signals go into flash mode, it is red for all sides.

pianocello

Quote from: Big John on September 02, 2014, 02:35:05 PM
Can also be used when traffic is loo light to warrant regular usage of the signals, such as at nights and/or weekends.

Or when traffic is too light to warrant usage of the signals at all, like in Gary. Some of the many stoplight-turned-4-way stops in Gary have physical stop signs installed at the intersection, but many don't.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

agentsteel53

Quote from: pianocello on September 04, 2014, 03:51:17 PM
Or when traffic is too light to warrant usage of the signals at all, like in Gary. Some of the many stoplight-turned-4-way stops in Gary have physical stop signs installed at the intersection, but many don't.

this being Gary, I bet the stoplights don't work and the signs have been reappropriated.  such is the case in East St. Louis.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CJResotko

Here are a few examples of traffic signals in all-red flash mode without any stop signs:
Ortonville, Michigan, at the intersection of Mill Street and South Street (scroll around to see it flash): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8523167,-83.4451247,3a,75y,113.72h,78.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so8oMkNeUge1PHhO5SONb2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Denison, Texas:
Fannin Avenue and W Main Street: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.755515,-96.5415569,3a,75y,156.97h,110.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sh30x-UamsR4e0uvNCqP5Qw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656'
Mirick Avenue and W Main Street (you can see signs under the signal that say "4-way"): https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7555622,-96.5429682,3a,17.3y,265.33h,101.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5G9SiYjE1bNrW775r4VRAA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

mrsman

Quote from: CJResotko on March 10, 2019, 11:18:40 AM
Here are a few examples of traffic signals in all-red flash mode without any stop signs:
Ortonville, Michigan, at the intersection of Mill Street and South Street (scroll around to see it flash): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8523167,-83.4451247,3a,75y,113.72h,78.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so8oMkNeUge1PHhO5SONb2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Denison, Texas:
Fannin Avenue and W Main Street: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.755515,-96.5415569,3a,75y,156.97h,110.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sh30x-UamsR4e0uvNCqP5Qw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656'
Mirick Avenue and W Main Street (you can see signs under the signal that say "4-way"): https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7555622,-96.5429682,3a,17.3y,265.33h,101.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5G9SiYjE1bNrW775r4VRAA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've always wondered if a signal were to go on permanent flash mode, wouldn't it make sense to just put in stop signs and remove the signal.  Use the signal hardware and equipment at other intersections or simply just recycle the equipment.

In DC, there are many intersections in Capitol Hill that used to be regular signals but are now glorified 4-way stops.  The streets are closed to regular traffic, unless you are on Congressional staff, due to security concerns.  They will never have enough traffic to need signals again.

This is the closest that the Google car got to one:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8941829,-77.0058696,3a,75y,176.15h,79.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJkzR9Wm94rJJvsSH7SsS6g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

lepidopteran

At least once I saw a setup with flashing yellow on the main road, and flashing red on the sidestreet.  Typical, but with one additional twist.  There was a Left Turn Signal on the main road as well -- and that one flashed (circular) red.  One installation flashed alternately/wig-wag style, the other in sync.

Not sure, but I think I saw this done once with a service road; the signals facing the service road flashed red (and presumably, the cross street did too) while the main road flashed yellow as usual.  Don't remember the sync pattern, tho.

roadman65

Lakeland, FL has one at Ariana Street and Wabash Avenue, but its a 3 way stop.

Orlando has a few, and many when two major arterials meet at a broken signal.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

This one on CT 364 was put here to supplement the stop signs after a fatal accident about 40 years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/L5qGUKKtUqu
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.