News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unusual destinations on highway signs

Started by hbelkins, November 25, 2014, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

We've talked about the use of "control states" and the infamous Del Mem Br.

How about counties or other unusual destinations?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

"Unusual destinations"

It's not unusual to see sports venues mentioned on BGSs. To see them used in lieu of a control city is rather unusual, though. I suppose in this case there is no good "control city" available since you've already entered it:

http://goo.gl/maps/AAZoH
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Is Camden a destination? I would say it's unusual because nobody wants to go there.

Also, Thru Traffic.

Additionally, on a US route that parallels an Interstate, sometimes the US route will have the nearest big city listed, even though the Interstate is much faster. Often, the sign predates the Interstate.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

odditude

Quote from: 1 on November 25, 2014, 02:56:50 PM
Is Camden a destination? I would say it's unusual because nobody wants to go there.
...unless you're going to the Philadelphia area's primary outdoor concert venue, or a major commuter campus of the state university, or the state aquarium...

Zeffy

Now that's not very nice....

My personal favorite is NJ Turnpike or G S Parkway when there already is a Turnpike or Parkway shield accompanying the destination.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

theline

roadman65

Also, Thru Traffic.

Additionally, on a US route that parallels an Interstate, sometimes the US route will have the nearest big city listed, even though the Interstate is much faster. Often, the sign predates the Interstate.
Like US 22 having "New York" or "New York City" on I-287 even when its nearby interstate used "Newark."  Plus now, even though the signs on I-78 use "New York City," at least I-78 goes to NYC, but US 22 does not and in some cases you have to use I-78 to get there from US 22's endpoint, especially now that the Pulaski Skyway is closed for two years.

Yeah, I know that one, but not really that unusual as it is so common in many places.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

Certainly "other Desert Cities"  has to be mentioned.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Zeffy on November 25, 2014, 05:02:02 PM

Now that's not very nice....

My personal favorite is NJ Turnpike or G S Parkway when there already is a Turnpike or Parkway shield accompanying the destination.

Far right sign - from the department of redundancy department
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DTComposer

Quote from: briantroutman on November 25, 2014, 07:16:54 PM
Certainly "other Desert Cities"  has to be mentioned.

As well as "Beach Cities."

I liked the use of "The WEST" or "The NORTH" on motorways in England - I understand they don't use those anymore.

SSOWorld

oh - right...

Delaware 1 - Dover - BEACHES!!!!
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

briantroutman

Quote from: DTComposer on November 25, 2014, 07:29:13 PM
I liked the use of "The WEST" or "The NORTH" on motorways in England...

The PTC still has some "...And West"  signs on the Turnpike.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

Ian

Maine has a few interesting ones...

So does New Hampshire...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cjk374

^  I've seen a pic in another thread (can't find it right now) where a liquor store used an old sign for their private use, but never thought I would see one as a destination (in blue no less!).  That's really cool!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on November 25, 2014, 05:02:02 PM
Because it's so easy to read the text in the NJTP/GSP shields.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman

Quote from: cjk374 on November 25, 2014, 09:56:43 PM
^  I've seen a pic in another thread (can't find it right now) where a liquor store used an old sign for their private use, but never thought I would see one as a destination (in blue no less!).  That's really cool!

Don't have a photo, but Globe Liquors on US 44 in Taunton, MA has a sign that looks exactly like a highway BGS.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

NE2

Quote from: roadman on November 26, 2014, 10:15:43 AM

Don't have a photo, but Globe Liquors on US 44 in Taunton, MA has a sign that looks exactly like a highway BGS.

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ma/us_44/

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Quote from: NE2 on November 26, 2014, 10:20:22 AM

Pub 97 on the Georgetown/Groveland line on MA 97 has a US 97 logo.

Google Maps link (go into Street View yourself, since my Adobe Flash player is out of date and I can't access it)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman

Quote from: NE2 on November 26, 2014, 10:20:22 AM

Thanks.  Never saw the sign from that angle, so I didn't realize it was actually a recycled BGS.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

I don't think tourist destinations like sporting arenas, amusement parks, etc., are all that unusual.

I'm thinking more like unusual geopolitical entities, like counties.

I saw the "Shore Points" sign for I-195 on the NJ Turnpike in a photo somewhere else this morning; I suppose that might count.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Pete from Boston

Also, Thru Traffic.

Not US, but "Cape Cod" on Morrissey Blvd. just south of Columbia Rd. in Boston fits this pattern.

Ian

In New Hampshire, liquor stores act as rest areas as well...

(1st photo along I-95 NB near Hampton, 2nd at the liquor store on I-93 in Hooksett)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Ian on November 26, 2014, 04:16:22 PM

In New Hampshire, liquor stores act as rest areas as well...

(1st photo along I-95 NB near Hampton, 2nd at the liquor store on I-93 in Hooksett)

For the unaware, New Hampshire's state-monopoly liquor prices are 20-30% cheaper than Massachusetts's, so the liquor stores along highways in the southern part of the state are very, very busy.   It's very rare for me to buy hard liquor in Massachusetts, since it's reasonable to expect I'll end up in New Hampshire at least once every month or two. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.