News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 9 News: PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING DISTRICT 9 WINS 2020 PERPETUAL PAVEMENT AWARD

This is for a section of PA 96.  Yes, I know that most of you will not believe this.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 27, 2021, 11:08:44 AMPennDOT - District 9 News: PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING DISTRICT 9 WINS 2020 PERPETUAL PAVEMENT AWARD

This is for a section of PA 96.  Yes, I know that most of you will not believe this.

With those AADT numbers on a highway that forms no part of a logical truck route, and the award being given by an asphalt industry group that leaves overlays out of consideration when it claims asphalt pavements can be "perpetual," I absolutely believe it.  Any agency can get lucky with a forgiving subgrade.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

74/171FAN

jemacedo9

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 27, 2021, 04:04:52 PM
PennDOT - District 6 News: I-76 West Collector/Distributor Ramp to U.S. 202/U.S. 422 to be Reduced to Single Lane for Several Months for Sinkhole Repair in Montgomery County
The red line on the map is in the wrong place...the C/D lanes to 202/422 are where the "328B" is noted...gotta love it...

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 27, 2021, 04:04:52 PM
PennDOT - District 6 News: I-76 West Collector/Distributor Ramp to U.S. 202/U.S. 422 to be Reduced to Single Lane for Several Months for Sinkhole Repair in Montgomery County

That's going to be a major mess - traffic was backed up at all hours of the day when they did the temporary repairs.  Add to that the Hanging Rock road closure and Matsonford Road, and the back roads are going to be quite busy.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

CapeCodder

Has the project on 81 near W-B and Scranton been completed? I seem to remember at one point the individual lanes were divided by Jersey barriers through the work zone.

74/171FAN

Quote from: CapeCodder on June 08, 2021, 10:16:22 PM
Has the project on 81 near W-B and Scranton been completed? I seem to remember at one point the individual lanes were divided by Jersey barriers through the work zone.

If you are referring to this project, it is supposed to be completed this month.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ekt8750

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 11, 2021, 05:31:47 PM
PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT to Begin Project to Improve, Widen, Reconstruct 1.8 Miles of U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike) in Montgomery County

I guess they finished the stretch from Township Line north to Morris Road? I was up that way two months ago and it looked like they still had a ton of work to do.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ekt8750 on June 12, 2021, 03:21:34 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 11, 2021, 05:31:47 PM
PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT to Begin Project to Improve, Widen, Reconstruct 1.8 Miles of U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike) in Montgomery County
I guess they finished the stretch from Township Line north to Morris Road? I was up that way two months ago and it looked like they still had a ton of work to do.

The current completion date of that project is not until November 26, 2025.

Rothman

*Waits for I-81 to be repaved from NY/PA line to New Milford*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

CapeCodder

Looking at a map of Bucks County, I noticed Exit 39 on 95 looks overbuilt. Was there supposed to be something much larger?

sprjus4

Quote from: CapeCodder on June 15, 2021, 08:06:44 PM
Looking at a map of Bucks County, I noticed Exit 39 on 95 looks overbuilt. Was there supposed to be something much larger?
I-95's original proposed alignment, IIRC.

Alps

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 16, 2021, 12:11:20 AM
Quote from: CapeCodder on June 15, 2021, 08:06:44 PM
I-95's original proposed alignment, IIRC.
That and I-895 connecting into NJ on a new Burlington-Bristol Bridge - 4 leg double trumpet of sorts.

sprjus4

What are with these new variable speed limits on I-76? I get their usage for during heavy traffic, but the whole segment this evening was fluctuating between 35 mph and 50 mph, with actual flows between 60-75 mph. If you did 35 mph, you're almost asking to be ran off the road - you might as well use hazards!

Variable speed limits should not be used in the manner they are applying them here. They're even more of a joke than the actual speed limits, which is 55 mph on the majority of the stretch by default, which is far more reasonable for this highway in particular - sure traffic moved much faster, but I wouldn't recommend any higher limit officially simply due to the geometry of the roadway - maybe 60 mph if those were permitted, but even that's questionable.

74/171FAN

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 17, 2021, 10:51:08 PM
What are with these new variable speed limits on I-76? I get their usage for during heavy traffic, but the whole segment this evening was fluctuating between 35 mph and 50 mph, with actual flows between 60-75 mph. If you did 35 mph, you're almost asking to be ran off the road - you might as well use hazards!

Variable speed limits should not be used in the manner they are applying them here. They're even more of a joke than the actual speed limits, which is 55 mph on the majority of the stretch by default, which is far more reasonable for this highway in particular - sure traffic moved much faster, but I wouldn't recommend any higher limit officially simply due to the geometry of the roadway - maybe 60 mph if those were permitted, but even that's questionable.

It sounds like that PennDOT has not fully addressed this issue.  I cannot remember offhand if I brought it up during a staff meeting or not.

74/171FAN

Crown Victoria

The project to reconstruct PA 61 between St. Clair and Frackville has been awarded just over $21 million through an INFRA grant.

This project is much needed as truck traffic is growing in the area due to the large number of warehouses throughout eastern PA and with Route 61 serving as a link between I-78 and I-81. Currently PA 61 is in pretty rough shape here, up to the point where southbound is limited to one lane due to the roadway collapsing.

https://www.skooknews.com/2021/06/penndot-awarded-21012220-million.html

https://www.revitalize61.com/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.