News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Southwest Illinois Connector

Started by edwaleni, January 13, 2020, 04:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on February 23, 2020, 06:22:14 PM
They have done the engineering and land up to Pickneyville so I am sure of that section plus it is getting some funding in current plan.Another route is just going up 127 to 64 . Same distance to downtown and only 18 miles.

IL-127 makes sense south of Pickneyville, but north of it is too close to US-51 and I-57 (IMHO).

Both the Waterloo and Belleville areas have been pushing population out further on their SE routes and have already been upgraded to freeways. Seems to make sense to improve those connections from the south that way.

IDOT needs to start looking at a new outer east beltway based on IL-4 than make improvements on IL-127 north of Pickneyville.  Even the now deceased mayor of Lebanon (who was a proponent of US-50) knew that.

ilpt4u

Bumping up this thread...the Mayor of Murphysboro, on the Southwest Connector Task Force, posted on FB tonight that Senator Tammy Duckworth has filed for a $210Million Earmark for the Murphysboro to Pickneyville section - I assume as part of the Infrastructure bill

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 12, 2021, 11:02:26 PM
Bumping up this thread...the Mayor of Murphysboro, on the Southwest Connector Task Force, posted on FB tonight that Senator Tammy Duckworth has filed for a $210Million Earmark for the Murphysboro to Pickneyville section - I assume as part of the Infrastructure bill

IDOT is in the process of awarding a $5.73 M contract to Samron Midwest Contracting Inc of Murphysboro Illinois to extend the 4-lane section of IL 13/127 north of Murphysboro. The 1. 3 mile project begins at Ava Road and ends just north of Grange Hall Road. Work includes constructing intersection improvements at IL 13/127 and Ava Rd/Kimmel Bridge Rd and at IL 13/127 and Grange Hall Road to Restricted Cross U-Turn (RCUT) Intersections, earthwork, drainage improvements and Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) pavement and shoulders.

Carrie Nelsen, P.E. | Program Development Engineer

Illinois Department of Transportation | District 9

edwaleni

Per the Waterloo Republic-Times

https://www.republictimes.net/wheels-keep-turning-on-connector/

Wheels keep turning on connector

A project to connect the St. Louis metro area with more of Southern Illinois dating back to the 1950s has recently received new attention.

The Four-County Highway Coalition is a collection of officials from Monroe, Randolph, Perry and Jackson counties attempting a new push for the long-awaited Southwest Illinois Connector.

The project centers around a proposed four-lane highway starting along Route 3 south of Waterloo, traveling just south of Red Bud and north of Sparta before rejoining Route 154, turning to avoid Pinckneyville and join Route 127 to Murphysboro.

Murphysboro Mayor Will Stephens was recently selected as chairman of the Southwest Connector Project. He spoke about the proposal's long history and how it was originally suggested due to the growth of Carbondale and that surrounding area.

State Senator Terri Bryant (R-Murphysboro) and other government officials have played a role in revitalizing the project for its most recent attempt.

Bryant and Stephens both spoke about recent efforts made on the project.

In 2018, Illinois Senate Joint Resolution No. 54 was passed to establish the Southwest Illinois Connector Task Force to study the cost, need and other aspects of the proposal.

The task force later disbanded following the publication of a substantial report detailing various findings.

"For a couple of years, that task force did their work and put together the study,"  Bryant said, "and we now have a really good study that we can take in a binder form to the feds."

More recent work done by the coalition that was formed after the task force has continued to build on that report.

Bryant specifically mentioned efforts on the part of her office to track down an original congressional record from decades ago that could serve to speed up the funding process for the project.

The congressional record, as Bryant says she has heard, contains a permanent authorization for the project that establishes a payment split that would see the federal government paying 95 percent of necessary funds and the state government paying 5 percent for the connector.

"What we're having to do is go backwards and find this originally because we found what could have been it, but it's been renamed, there's new numbers, we're not sure if it still means the same thing,"  Bryant said, "so we're trying to go back and find the original congressional record to show that it was even done."

Bryant added that, even if there was permanent authorization decades ago, the current legislature is not bound by previous legislation unless it is enshrined in law.

Bryant and Stephens spoke about the myriad of reasons such a project could benefit the region.

Bryant pointed to one of the most prominent selling points for the highway when it was first proposed: the ability for rural communities to more easily access healthcare in St. Louis.

"We're a very rural area for medical needs and not really a great way to get to the metro east,"  Bryant said.

Stephens said one of the biggest reasons for this highway is the simple inconvenience — and often danger — that traffic on two-lane roads in the area can pose for those trying to get to the metro east quickly.

He pointed to substantial bottlenecks at the Red Bud and Pinckneyville squares as well as major traffic tie-ups farm equipment can cause during planting and harvest seasons.

Stephens also spoke about the number of accidents that can occur on those roads, information that is further described in reports found on the coalition's website.

"There's a multitude of reasons why we need to build this highway and have needed to build it for decades,"  Stephens said, "and the reasons (then) are the same reasons today."

Stephens also suggested the additional infrastructure could have a positive effect on businesses in communities along the connector.

"It's also, no doubt, an economic activity project to boost infrastructure investment in the region, to provide drivers for business attraction. This would go a long, long way,"  Stephens said.

While the gears are turning once again for the connector project, it could be a long time before any construction starts.

Along with the issue of funding, Bryant said constituencies along the connector's proposed route would need to be consulted.

She added that communities in the area could feel quite different about the highway. Previously, Red Bud and much of Randolph County seemed to be positive about the project while Columbia and some of Monroe County seemed less enthusiastic.

"The entities within the Southwest Connector will have to have citizen meetings and allow for citizen input, so we could be 10 years down the road from even turning dirt,"  Bryant said.

For more information on the Southwest Illinois Connector, visit the Four-County Highway Coalition website at siconnector.com or call Stephens at 618-363-1308.

paulthemapguy

I'm surprised there isn't a northeastern bypass of Murphysboro tacked onto the route.  I don't suppose the route's more direct route would go straight east to Pinckneyville and straight south from there, but I guess this is how the route has to be in order to properly incorporate Perry County into the four-county coalition.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ilpt4u

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 25, 2022, 09:32:31 PM
I'm surprised there isn't a northeastern bypass of Murphysboro tacked onto the route. I don't suppose the route's more direct route would go straight east to Pinckneyville and straight south from there, but I guess this is how the route has to be in order to properly incorporate Perry County into the four-county coalition.
A new Northeastern Murphysboro bypass would defeat the purpose of the existing 4-Lane IL 13/127 multiplex in Murphysboro, that is currently being extended northward about another mile

Would be a new terrain route and need a new Big Muddy River bridge

Depending on traffic control on the proposed routing via Pinckneyville then onto Sparta, it is still arguably faster to take Ava Blacktop out of Murphysboro to Rt 4 in Ava, thru Campbell Hill and Willisville, continue onto (Randolph/Perry) County Line Rd, and join the new 4-lane IL 154 there

Can't really go between the 13/127 and 4 corridors, tho, due to Pyramid State Park

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 25, 2022, 09:49:42 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 25, 2022, 09:32:31 PM
I'm surprised there isn't a northeastern bypass of Murphysboro tacked onto the route. I don't suppose the route's more direct route would go straight east to Pinckneyville and straight south from there, but I guess this is how the route has to be in order to properly incorporate Perry County into the four-county coalition.
A new Northeastern Murphysboro bypass would defeat the purpose of the existing 4-Lane IL 13/127 multiplex in Murphysboro, that is currently being extended northward about another mile

Would be a new terrain route and need a new Big Muddy River bridge

Depending on traffic control on the proposed routing via Pinckneyville then onto Sparta, it is still arguably faster to take Ava Blacktop out of Murphysboro to Rt 4 in Ava, thru Campbell Hill and Willisville, continue onto (Randolph/Perry) County Line Rd, and join the new 4-lane IL 154 there

Can't really go between the 13/127 and 4 corridors, tho, due to Pyramid State Park

As you are well aware, its not always the most direct route, nor the most efficient route that gets selected, it is the route that gets the most collective approvals from the impacted citizens.

When Allegiant stooged Marion's airport, the flight out of Belleville picked up a lot of people from that area. I asked many which way they came, up I-57 to I-64 I asked?

Oh no they said, they came up IL-127 to Pickneyville and then over to IL-4 on IL-13. Too many trucks and cops on I-57.

kphoger

Quote from: edwaleni on October 26, 2022, 05:35:22 PM
When Allegiant stooged Marion's airport, the flight out of Belleville picked up a lot of people from that area. I asked many which way they came, up I-57 to I-64 I asked?

Oh no they said, they came up IL-127 to Pickneyville and then over to IL-4 on IL-13. Too many trucks and cops on I-57.

FWIW, when I lived in Herrin, my usual route between Belleville and home was...

IL-127 to Pinckneyville
IL-13 to Vergennes
FAS-1916 to Elkville
US-51 for about a quarter-mile
FAS-869 to Royalton
IL-149 to Hurst
FAS-907 to Blairsville
FAS-908 to Herrin
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: edwaleni on October 26, 2022, 05:35:22 PM
As you are well aware, its not always the most direct route, nor the most efficient route that gets selected, it is the route that gets the most collective approvals from the impacted citizens.

Once the 6-laning of 57 is done between Marion and Mt Vernon the issues of using I-57 will decrease, but as that project progresses, there is construction, and then the current 4-lane sections of 57 and the high truck traffic volume honestly makes the road feel unsafe at times

Those that live closer to the 127 corridor, it is a no brainer to take 127 up to 64, or use Ava Blacktop/IL 4/County Line Rd/Rt 13/IL 4 again to get to BLV or even onto St Louis

But even if you live closer to Marion, the 127 routing is at least competitive, in its current state. Potentially upgraded to a 4-lane expressway corridor should make it moreso, assuming the number of allowed signals is kept decently low while maintaining safety

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 05:49:25 PM
FWIW, when I lived in Herrin, my usual route between Belleville and home was...

IL-127 to Pinckneyville
IL-13 to Vergennes
FAS-1916 to Elkville (Elkville-Vergennes Rd/Blacktop)
US-51 for about a quarter-mile
FAS-869 to Royalton (Elkville-Royalton Rd/Blacktop)
IL-149 to Hurst
FAS-907 to Blairsville (Cambria Rd)
FAS-908 to Herrin (Herrin Rd)
Added the Road names, where appropriate
I drive many of these roads daily

ilpt4u

Update on the siconnector.com website: Mayor Will Stephens of Murphysboro is now Chairman of the Four County Highway Coalition aka the Southern Illinois Connector coalition. And with that, the City of Murphysboro, on behalf of the Four County Highway Coalition, has applied for a $387 Million grant via MEGA funding as part of the Biden Infrastructure Act for the Southern Illinois Connector

https://www.siconnector.com/

hobsini2

Would this possibly be a future corridor for an I-24 extension to St Louis?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ilpt4u

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 29, 2022, 04:55:49 PM
Would this possibly be a future corridor for an I-24 extension to St Louis?
It is not planned as a freeway, at this point. Historically this corridor has been looked at as a freeway, and as a tollway. Right now the corridor is planning and developing as a 4-lane expressway, with how much access control yet to be decided

The segment being built right now, 1 mile north of where the previous 13/127 4-lane ended in Murphysboro, is going to incorporate "Michigan Lefts"  or J-turns or whatever you want to call them, at Ava Rd/Kimmel Bridge Rd and at Grange Hall Rd, so traffic at those cross-roads will not be allowed to cross-over 13/127, and will be forced to turn right onto 13/127, and use the new Michigan Left turn-arounds to either complete the "Michigan Left"  and go the other direction on 13/127 or to continue straight on the "other"  side of the highway

13/127 traffic will be allowed to turn left at these 2 intersections, tho

froggie

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 29, 2022, 07:09:33 PM
The segment being built right now, 1 mile north of where the previous 13/127 4-lane ended in Murphysboro, is going to incorporate "Michigan Lefts"  or J-turns or whatever you want to call them, at Ava Rd/Kimmel Bridge Rd and at Grange Hall Rd, so traffic at those cross-roads will not be allowed to cross-over 13/127, and will be forced to turn right onto 13/127, and use the new Michigan Left turn-arounds to either complete the "Michigan Left"  and go the other direction on 13/127 or to continue straight on the "other"  side of the highway

Proper terminology here would be "J-turns", as a "Michigan Left" still allows through traffic on the cross road, and it appears that will not be the case here.

ilpt4u

Quote from: froggie on October 29, 2022, 07:17:27 PM
Proper terminology here would be "J-turns", as a "Michigan Left" still allows through traffic on the cross road, and it appears that will not be the case here.
I honestly didn't know there was a difference between Michigan Lefts and J-Turns. Thought they were the same! So there is a difference. Point taken

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 29, 2022, 07:33:25 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 29, 2022, 07:17:27 PM
I honestly didn't know there was a difference between Michigan Lefts and J-Turns. Thought they were the same! So there is a difference. Point taken

They're similar enough.  The J-Turn is a variation on the Michigan Left that's also used by MDOT.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

NWI_Irish96

I visited this area for the first time yesterday, specifically to add these four counties to my list. I went from I-255 to I-57 via IL 3, IL 154, IL 4, CR 18, US 51, IL 14. It seemed like a nice area, though it was very foggy/rainy so I didn't get to see much.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

The Southwest Connector got some press recently on WSIL/ABC-3 out of Carterville. The Mayor of Murphysboro, who also serves as the Chair of the SWC Board, is interviewed during the piece. He sounds pretty hopeful and confident the Biden Bill will provide $$$ for it, as apparently there is language specifically to help coal-dominant regions. Also wants $20Mil/year for 10 years from the State of IL for the project

https://youtu.be/nrLBRTISqwo

hobsini2

Glad to see this is getting local support and possible federal funding.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

edwaleni

I asked a former co-worker about this connector and she knew all about it. She was not very positive.

"I moved away from Dupo to get away from crime and stupidity and now you want to make it easier for it to get to Columbia?"

I am sure that doesn't reflect everyone's views, but it was a blunt reminder that sometimes people don't want easier transporation.

As for the earlier interview talking about reaching better medical care in the Metro East, this has been a serious issue nationally after the ACA was passed.

When the Medicare reimbursement rates were lowered in favor of the exchanges, many regional healthcare facilities got killed since the locals (who didn't have employer based HC) couldn't afford coverage under the ACA exchange system.

This forced many regional hospitals to drop their advanced diagnostics becuase they couldn't make enough money. This forced more patients to get referred to facilities yet farther away from where they live just to get simple things like cat scans.

I know this is a highway blog, but the passing of the ACA really screwed small town, rural america, and forces them to move to larger cities or drive yet farther to get decent diagnostics.

Smaller town hospitals and clinics are turning into birthing wards and dying wards with an emergency room. Everyone in between has to drive somewhere to find decent care.

<rant over>

ilpt4u

More Local TV Press coverage for the SWIC, this time on KFVS/CBS 12 out of Cape Girardeau (FYI it is a weird TV market, containing Southern IL where the ABC affiliate is, Southeastern MO where the CBS and FOX affiliates are, and Western KY where the NBC affiliate is)

https://www.kfvs12.com/2023/03/10/highway-connecting-southern-illinois-st-louis-could-be-real-possibility/

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 12, 2023, 02:29:47 PM
More Local TV Press coverage for the SWIC, this time on KFVS/CBS 12 out of Cape Girardeau (FYI it is a weird TV market, containing Southern IL where the ABC affiliate is, Southeastern MO where the CBS and FOX affiliates are, and Western KY where the NBC affiliate is)

https://www.kfvs12.com/2023/03/10/highway-connecting-southern-illinois-st-louis-could-be-real-possibility/

When I was a kid we used to turn our antenna rotor SW so we could pick up Cape Girardeau. At the time it was one of the tallest TV towers in the country.

We lived in an interesting area where we could get St Louis, Evansville, Terre Haute, Cape Girardeau and Carbondale (SIU). But not Champaign-Urbana, Decatur or Springfield.

Dad said he would have to raise the TV antenna another 20 feet and it wasn't worth it. When a storm took out our antenna, we were one of the first to get cable and that ended the Cape Girardeau experience.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.