News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why Are There So Few Actually 'I' Interstate Expressways in Metro Houston?

Started by bluecountry, January 29, 2020, 01:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Quote from: bluecountry on January 04, 2021, 10:17:34 AM
Would be interesting to know if there were any other plans for extending I-45.
Also, why doesn't Texas like 3 digit spur/loop interstates?

It is generally believed that when the updates to US-75 in downtown Sherman are complete, that Texas will ask for it to be extended to at least the US-69 / US-75 intersection near the Oklahoma state line. Oklahoma is sort of thinking about it, but honestly they already have problems maintaining that which they already have.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: 1 on January 03, 2021, 06:25:43 PM
Quote from: GaryV on January 03, 2021, 06:10:04 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on January 03, 2021, 01:28:41 PM
2)  Why is I-45 'I-45' and not some non-two digit I?
It wouldn't fit in the grid elsewhere because it would duplicate US-45 in some states.  So they "wasted" it in a single state, rather than skipping it altogether as with I-50 and I-60.

If I-45 was on the 29/49 corridor, there would be no duplication with US 45.

I-49 was first proposed DECADES after I-45 was built. Besides, I-49 originally went only  from Lafayette LA to Shreveport LA. Proposals to extend it came about a decade or more after the original stretch was opened.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.