News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Earthquakes and Volcanoes

Started by Bruce, March 31, 2020, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Figure we should have a general rolling thread for all earthquakes.

Today's entry: a 6.5 event northeast of Boise, Idaho. Epicenter is coincidentally near "Shake Creek".

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us70008jr5/executive

US 89

Note that this is less than two weeks after a 5.7 earthquake in Salt Lake City. Although that one was smaller in terms of magnitude, it produced more damage overall because it occurred much closer to populated areas, and the shaking intensity was equivalent because the geology of the Salt Lake Valley is more favorable for earthquake wave transmission.

We're still getting aftershocks from that, by the way. The vast majority of them are too small to feel, but every few days now there's a slightly stronger one that's felt close to the epicenter. In fact, we had some light shaking from the Idaho earthquake today and most people assumed it was just another aftershock.

nexus73

This is the website I look at twice daily to get a forewarning (maybe) for the Cascadia Subduction Zone megaquake:

https://pnsn.org/earthquakes/recent

Earlier I read that when the Big One hits the PNW, it has a 30% chance of triggering the San Andreas Fault.  If you think the coronavirus pandemic is a big deal, just wait until you lose a million or more people and the entire productivity of the West Coast.

After reading about the big hits to Boise and Salt Lake City, how about this to make everything else look very small: Supervolcano eruption at Yellowstone.  This would be right on the cusp of a human species extinction event. 

Want to really finish us off?  After seeing all the above happen, there goes any space monitoring for small celestial bodies which could collide with the Earth.  Along one comes just at the right/wrong time.  Watch it land right on top of Wuhan...LOL!

If this stuff wasn't so serious, it would be fun to see someone make the biggest string of disasters movie one could create.  Do it "Airplane" style! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US 89

Just had a 4.2 aftershock in Salt Lake City. It's the strongest one since the day of the original 5.7 quake almost a month ago.

US 89

Bruce

bing101

https://www.abc10.com/mobile/article/weather/earthquakes/tonopah-earthquake-felt-in-northern-california/103-2c95031b-60d7-468e-be89-ce7f5b9635f6
An earthquake is reported in the Tonopah, Nevada area. Note this quake was felt as far as California according to the article.

bing101

bing101

bing101

index

5.1 magnitude here in North Carolina this morning. First time I've ever felt a quake. Honestly, it was kind of startling at first. First I felt a jolt in my legs, I heard kind of a thud, then I noticed the shaking, both saw it and felt it. Stuff on my desk was shaking, I could feel it in my legs, and it knocked a can of bug spray off my desk. Strongest quake for NC in 104 years. It was done and over with in like 10 seconds but I'll be damned if it wasn't something.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

LM117

Quote from: index on August 09, 2020, 10:03:09 AM
5.1 magnitude here in North Carolina this morning. First time I've ever felt a quake. Honestly, it was kind of startling at first. First I felt a jolt in my legs, I heard kind of a thud, then I noticed the shaking, both saw it and felt it. Stuff on my desk was shaking, I could feel it in my legs, and it knocked a can of bug spray off my desk. Strongest quake for NC in 104 years. It was done and over with in like 10 seconds but I'll be damned if it wasn't something.

I felt it, but nothing was knocked over or flew off the shelves. I assumed it was just a big truck going by my house and didn't think anything of it. I wouldn't have known it was a quake if I hadn't read the news.

The first earthquake I ever felt was the one that hit the East Coast in 2011. I was living in Farmville, VA at the time. I damn sure didn't need to see the news to know what that shaking and boom was!
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Quote from: index on August 09, 2020, 10:03:09 AM

Felt by many in eastern Kentucky as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Supposedly yesterday's quake was felt around here, but I didn't notice it. I believe it was just after 8:00 AM. I had been out of bed for less than five minutes at that point and I doubt I was fully awake yet. I didn't notice the 2011 Virginia earthquake either. I was driving my RX-7 on the Beltway with the top down when it happened and I just didn't notice; moreover, if I had noticed anything, I'm sure I'd have discounted it as the car's suspension or buffeting from a passing truck. First I knew of the 2011 quake was when I got a text message from my brother about it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

csw

I'm about 60 miles from this one and I slept right through it. I guess the mountains acted as shock-absorbers!

Bruce

Despite living on the Ring of Fire, I have still yet to feel an actual earthquake. I slept through our last minor earthquake and was too young to remember the Nisqually earthquake in 2001 (M 6.7)

hbelkins

Only earthquake I ever felt was the July 1981 event with an epicenter near Sharpsburg, Ky. I was taking a shower when it happened and just felt one big "thump" or "thud." Like someone had dropped something heavy. My mom came in the bathroom to see if I had slipped and fallen. Her next step was to go downstairs to see if my brother had blown something up.  :-D

Only later, when television news broke in with the story, did we realize what happened.

Several years later, there was a quake near Clays Ferry, where there's a known fault (think about that one the next time you drive across the I-75 Kentucky River bridge there). My brother was going to college in Richmond and he felt it. I'm only about 40 miles or less as the crow flies from there, but didn't feel it. He called to ask if we'd felt anything, and my dad and I both said no. Then on the news at 11 p.m., they confirmed a minor quake.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Earthquakes I've experienced:

--1982? Pioneer Valley, western MA.  Just a little shaker

--1997, San Francisco -- another little shaker, but I was eating in a Korean hot pot restaurant at the time -- jiggled the building slightly.  Learned later on that a female co-worker from Utah in a different part of the city tried to take a picture of it.

--A few years ago, Capital District, NY.  A minor earthquake sent a few of my co-workers running out of our building.

I think that's it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

triplemultiplex

I was awoken in the middle of the night in my Juneau hotel room in 2014 by a nice little 5.9 about 90 miles west.  One of those deals where by the time you realize what's going on, it's over.  I often wonder if I would have just slept right through if I wasn't on the 5th floor.

I remember the only damage was to the internet.  The quake took out some underwater cable in the region and main ISP was offline.  It even affected cell tower data.  Would have sucked if we weren't leaving the next morning for Ketchikan.  No internet on the ferries anyway, so no big deal.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Stephane Dumas

There was an 4.0 earthquake who was felt in eastern Massachusetts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ibcJmVXYU

hotdogPi

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on November 08, 2020, 10:21:15 PM

I felt that one myself.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on November 09, 2020, 06:55:19 AM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on November 08, 2020, 10:21:15 PM

I felt that one myself.

I have a friend that lives in the same town as you and he felt it as well. No one else I know up our way did. I was on a bicycle ride at the time and missed it somewhere in North Andover.

triplemultiplex

The world's most active volcano decided that two years was entirely enough time sit quietly.
The lava lake is back at Kilauea.

It's got a lot of volume to expand into down in that caldera so there is no immediate danger of lava flows anywhere yet.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.