News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Commutes that cross two different state lines, going through three states?

Started by KCRoadFan, July 29, 2020, 07:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: I-55 on July 29, 2020, 09:01:57 PM
Ashland, KY to/from Huntington, WV would most likely utilize US-52 in Ohio (crossing the Ohio River 2 times each way) unless the Huntington location is right along I-64

I've posted this numerous times on both AARoads and MTR, but it bears a repeat here.  My father commuted the 50 miles from Scott Depot, West Virginia to Ashland for over 20 years.  He went through three states on the morning commute using US-52 just like the I-55 example above.  But on the way back, he only drove through Kentucky and West Virginia using US-60//US-23 and I-64.  There was too much traffic turning west on US-52 towards Ironton to allow a speedy return trip through Ohio.

The former route started out as I-64 -to- WV-94 (West Huntington Bridge) -to- US-52 -to- 12th Street Bridge (Spur US-23) -to- US-60/US-23.  After the first US-52 rerouting, WV-94 was eliminated and US-52 was multiplexed on I-64 from the Fifth Street exit to the West Huntington Bridge.  After the second US-52 rerouting, he picked up the US-52/I-64 multiplex from the Kenova exit to the West Huntington Bridge on the evening commute.  I worked in Ashland two summers during college, and got stuck chauffeuring him.  When my sister worked two summers at the Ashland Oil refinery, they had to use the Catlettsburg route both directions.

After the completion of the 13th Street Bridge in 1985, he was able to return via Ohio on US-52 but as a creature of habit, I think he only did so when traffic conditions were expected.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.