News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where are there still pedestrian signals with words instead of pictograms?

Started by KCRoadFan, August 20, 2020, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: ari-s-drives on September 03, 2020, 08:06:18 PM
There are hardly any where I'm at, but this one in Castro Valley, CA caught my eye

This one is really odd because the pedestrian signal is above the vehicle signal.

dogbert617

Quote from: Henry on August 24, 2020, 09:57:55 AM
Quote from: machias on August 23, 2020, 11:45:42 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 20, 2020, 08:08:52 PM
Quote from: machias on August 20, 2020, 08:02:01 PM
They're still sporadically around Chicago, I can think of four intersections within 8 blocks of our home on the North Side that still have them. Some intersections have a mix of worded messages and LED pictograms on the same intersection.

What are the cross streets? I thought about looking at them on Street View.

Roscoe/Lincoln/Paulina is one intersection that has them. The WALK/DONT WALK is on the SE corner of Roscoe and Lincoln

Found it!

There are a few others left in the city of Chicago, as well. A few intersections even have ALL pedestrian lights, with the old fashioned 'walk' and 'don't walk' as well!

Pratt and Kedzie(old word ones are on the northeast and southwest corner, and the other 2 types of pedestrian signs/lights are at this intersection too): https://goo.gl/maps/28FGB7iTUeUkkxTLA

Clark and Southport(all old word signs): https://goo.gl/maps/7ZJAPGjPz2eHRGy59

Diversey and Southport(split between the word signs, and the hand/human type pedestrian sign. is that type of sign called a pictogram?): https://goo.gl/maps/yhh55P2vhNdCK7uTA

Belmont and Racine(all old word signs): https://goo.gl/maps/k5HxLScstEHguzgQ9

Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few others, I'm forgetting about. And I knew about that one at Lincoln and Roscoe before seeing this thread, and as another person mentioned it, didn't say it in my post.

RobbieL2415

Any ConnDOT installation prior to the mid-90s is text-only.

bcroadguy

Streetview hasn't been updated there since 2015, but Charlottetown, PEI is the only place in Canada I'm aware of that might still have any, including at this awful franken-intersection.

They seem to have replaced almost every single pedestrian signal in town since then, but Regina, Saskatchewan still had at least one in 2009.

There might some more Canadian examples, but these are the only ones I've happened to see on Streetview.

ErmineNotyours

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US 89

The only ones still left in Utah that I'm aware of are up in Logan. This was on 100 West at 100 North (I think?) in 2019

There are a few more along 100 West there. Unfortunately, when I was up there last it looked like several of them were about to be replaced. I'll be in Logan in about a month so I'll be able to check and see if any survived.

If there are any others elsewhere in the state, they are almost certainly not on a state highway - UDOT loves replacing things and traffic lights are no exception.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 08, 2021, 10:23:37 PM
Tacoma, WA

I believe that signal is the oldest in Tacoma. Surprisingly, it does seem to be actuated.

There is another heading out towards Puyallup on River Road (WA-167) at the Milroy Bridge. Only two of the six ped signals have symbols.

jtespi

All throughout Guymon, Oklahoma they have old word-based pedestrian signals with "walk/don't walk." About 80% of the traffic signals are like that and also have incandescent bulbs for the main signal heads. They are very dim and hard to see.
The pedestrian signal lenses are very faded and in most cases it's hard to make out the words "walk" and "don't walk." The ped signals just look like orange and white blobs.

I made a quick video about it:

Here's also another example of the "walk/don't walk" pedestrian signal consolidated into one housing further north on Main Street.

andrepoiy

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

andrepoiy

Quote from: Rothman on October 02, 2022, 11:45:47 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on October 02, 2022, 08:50:38 PM
Syracuse NY: (at the Tipperary Hill inversed signal)

[image snipped]
Hm.  Wonder if those are still there.

I visited the traffic light 2 weeks ago so they were there 2 weeks ago.

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Rothman

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 03, 2022, 02:04:44 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 02, 2022, 11:45:47 PM

[image snipped]
Hm.  Wonder if those are still there.

I visited the traffic light 2 weeks ago so they were there 2 weeks ago.
I'd consider them "endangered."  City of Syracuse has been pumping a lot of money into signal work.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

So they didn't invert that so the DONT WALK would be at the bottom?

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on October 03, 2022, 05:40:06 PM
So they didn't invert that so the DONT WALK would be at the bottom?

I don't know if the pedestrian signals date back to when that inverted signal was first installed.

DTComposer

Quote from: mrsman on September 04, 2020, 09:45:41 AM
Quote from: ari-s-drives on September 03, 2020, 08:06:18 PM
There are hardly any where I'm at, but this one in Castro Valley, CA caught my eye

This one is really odd because the pedestrian signal is above the vehicle signal.

I've been through there - I figured that particular mast arm was left over from the original road configuration (Crow Canyon Road was widened sometime in the 1970s) - you'll notice the streetlight is of a different design than the rest at that intersection.

freebrickproductions

There's still a few worded pedestrian signals around Alabama. Last I saw these cities & towns still had some in service:
Decatur, AL
Athens, AL
Bessemer, AL
Tuscumbia, AL
Florence, AL
Centre, AL
Gadsden, AL
Calera, AL
Arab, AL
Talladega, AL

I also recall Irondale, AL, having a pair, but I think they're gone now? Street view there hasn't been updated since 2017, so it ain't much help.

Outside of Alabama, I've seen them in these places, or at least had them shown to me by a friend:
Vidalia, GA
McRae-Helena, GA
Manchester, TN
Shelbyville, TN
Carlisle, PA
Teaneck, NJ
Rocky Top, TN

Washington, D.C. may still have some worded 3M ped signals hiding out around the city as well if you know where to look.

Bit of a shame seeing them disappear over the years though, as I always enjoy seeing them in service. Grew up with them here in Huntsville, but they're sadly all gone now. Glad I've been able to buy a few of my own to enjoy over the years.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

I miss when the WALK was green instead of white. :bigass:

Then Millburn, NJ you once had a red WAIT instead of DON'T on top with a changed color WALK on the bottom on a ped signal on Essex Street in Downtown.

Not that I'm complaining about present, but from reminiscing the past it was cool to once be part of.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.