Plates with road names on them (freeway underpasses)

Started by TheGrassGuy, March 16, 2021, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

I-78 and NJ-24 have them.
I-287 has them between exits 35 and 39, and 47 to the end. I-80 has them west of exit 25.
I-195 and I-295 have them, but NJ-18, NJ-33, NJ-42, and NJ-55 do not.
The NJTP used to have only one on the Rainey Road overpass, but it now has them almost everywhere (?).
The GSP has them everywhere, but they are on the side and in 2 lines. The ACE has both that style and the conventional style.

I know some other states have them on overpasses.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

M3100

Are you talking about overpasses without on-/off-ramps? I-495 Washington Beltway has those.

TheGrassGuy

JoePCool14

Well, in that case, in Chicagoland, they are on just about every over or underpass. Both IDOT and ISTHA are good about posting them. Once you get further out, it depends on the road. Though I should note that ISTHA posts them no matter what.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

thspfc

andrepoiy

Yeah, these are posted on Ontario freeways if there's no interchange with that particular road

Scott5114

Rare in Oklahoma. The Kickapoo Turnpike has them, but I can't think of any other road that does.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TravelingBethelite

If I recall CTDOT doing anything consistently, it's putting up these signs. I remember seeing them on pretty much every non-interchange overpass, and I seem to think they were on interchange overpasses as well.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Great Lakes Roads

Indiana: varies by region.

Indiana Toll Road- has them at almost every overpass or underpass

epzik8

The JFK Highway in Maryland (I-95) has had these from the time of its opening in 1963. The original plates were tacked onto the overpasses themselves and were in all-uppercase letters. Around the time that MDTA replaced the Highway Gothic BGS with Clearview ones, these plates were replaced with sentence-case Clearview ones and placed at ground level next to the rightmost lane on the highway. There were a few exceptions to the original ones; the ones for Kenwood, Hazlewood and Chesaco avenues on approach to the I-895 split (or just past it) were added later and were in sentence-case, while the Old Joppa Road overpass at roughly 73.2 in Harford County didn't have one at all until all others were replaced.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadman65

NYC used to sign Street blades on the center light poles to advertise cross street above.

NJ 495 had one similar at Bergenline Avenue in Union City.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheGrassGuy

What about New York?

The Thruway has them.

Many (though not all) bridges in NYC have them too. But most of the parkways outside of NYC don't.

In Buffalo and Niagara Falls, all expressways have them except for the Niagara Scenic Pkwy.

In Albany, all expressways have them except for the Slingerlands Bypass. I-890 also has them.

In Rochester, all expressways have them except for the Inner Loop. The Lake Ontario Pkwy has them.

None of the freeways around Utica or Rome have them.

I-390 has them. I-86 has them in the western section only. The Adirondack Northway has them in the Albany area and Adirondack Park, but not the middle section.

I-81, I-84, I-684, I-88, and I-99 lack them. The Cross Westchester Expressway might have used to have them before it was widened and all the bridges were replaced, but they are no longer there.

roadman65

Bergenline Avenue in Union City, NJ is still listed on a sign attached to the center light pole according to GSV.
https://goo.gl/maps/suxi2uBVy95gxeSz5

Sheryl Crowe

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: roadman65 on March 23, 2021, 08:14:25 PM
Bergenline Avenue in Union City, NJ is still listed on a sign attached to the center light pole according to GSV.

already mentioned

mapman1071

AZ has them on freeways, overpasses (mounted on bridge over freeway) and on underpasses (sign on right side or center median/lightpost) 

roadman65

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 24, 2021, 11:15:37 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 23, 2021, 08:14:25 PM

already mentioned

I was the one who mentioned it first. I posted it to show it's still there as I referred to it as was at first.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 23, 2021, 06:20:03 PM
What about New York?

In Rochester, all expressways have them except for the Inner Loop. The Lake Ontario Pkwy has them.

Not usually for overpasses, though.

MNtoOC

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 16, 2021, 04:42:18 PM
It's fairly rare to find this posted in MN when the freeway is overpassing, but here are the ones I can think of.

This brings up one of the signs I always find odd, as for some reason MnDOT placed the Oakdale 50th Street markers in the medians for both northbound and southbound 694.

https://goo.gl/maps/7a4M2bX3yvXX3KvN8

US 89

Extremely common in both Georgia and Alabama. Georgia's are typically just the name of the street, with maybe also the state highway number in text if one exists. Sometimes even hidden concurrency state highways can show up on these, such as on I-20 where the eastern I-285 crossing is signed as "SR 407 / I-285".

Alabama's, on the other hand, are much more detailed - they include not only the name and route shield of the road crossing over, but also the type and milepost of the route you're on. If it's a county road crossing over, the sign will include the name of the county as well. Here's an example from I-565 in Huntsville, and one from I-59 near Hammondville.

TheGrassGuy

Gotta say, DeKalb County has been pretty astute at signing county routes with blue pentagons. :clap:

US 89

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 10, 2021, 09:11:09 PM
Gotta say, DeKalb County has been pretty astute at signing county routes with blue pentagons. :clap:

In my experience that is true for the majority of Alabama.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.