News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Weird business loops in San Angelo TX

Started by usends, April 25, 2021, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

(For help visualizing, refer to this map)
The original US 67 through Angelo has been bypassed; traffic now uses the Houston Harte Expwy.  Much of the historic route is now signposted as Business 67... but it's split into two disconnected loops, and neither of them go through the central business district!  Business 67-H goes through the west part of the city.  Business 67-J is in the east section.  But both of them return to the bypass instead of passing through the downtown area.  This seems very strange and illogical.  Has anyone seen this kind of arrangement anywhere else?  What could TXDOT have been thinking?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

NE2

Presumably they were connected once but the city wanted their main street.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

usends

Quote from: NE2 on April 25, 2021, 09:12:40 PM
Presumably they were connected once but the city wanted their main street.
Oddly, they were never connected; they weren't designated until 1996 (six years after Houston Harte was built).  Your point may still be valid though, about the city wanting control of the main street.  But I don't think I'm aware of another town where TXDOT has done this (sign two disconnected loops as Business US routes).  They have commonly signed portions of a historic routing as "State Loop X" (and there are many examples where the so-called Loop actually functions more like a Spur).  There's an example of this right in Angelo: Loop 378 is part of what used to be US 277.  So it wouldn't have been unusual if TXDOT had given these two segments State Loop designations.  The thing that I find unusual is that they signed them as US Business Loops.

NE2

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sl/sl0545.htm
It's possible this was signed as 67 business despite no mention of that. I'm on my phone so I can't check the full minute order.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Avalanchez71

I can't say that I have seen anything like that as signposted.  I know of several places that the business designation was removed and maybe a state highway number was posted in place.  I am sure you know of serval already like that.  MI comes to mind.  Nothing that I know of like this situation.

usends

Quote from: NE2 on April 26, 2021, 02:38:30 PM
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sl/sl0545.htm
It's possible this was signed as 67 business despite no mention of that. I'm on my phone so I can't check the full minute order.
Unsure how Loop 545 was signed, but at the very least this minute order confirms your thought about the City taking on maintenance of the old route through the downtown area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.