2021 Ohio Roadmeet - Cleveland (AUGUST 28TH)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, May 06, 2021, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Dan Garnell asked to postpone Toledo till next year.
So instead of next year, I'll host a Cleveland roadmeet this summer.
It will be heavy on bridges, with only a couple of road projects going on this year.
Date: Some time in July or August. (I'll nail it down after I return from Cleveland (for my day job) next week)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'll probably try to incorporate as much as this proposed path (I don't think it came to fruition) as possible;
https://themonumentous.com/cleveland-bridge-loop/

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 06, 2021, 07:30:04 PM
It will be heavy on bridges, with only a couple of road projects going on this year.
Date: Some time in July or August. (I'll nail it down after I return from Cleveland (for my day job) next week)

I'm of course very interested in attending a Cleveland meet.  I hope I can make it, but if it's in the second half of July, I won't be able to.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 07, 2021, 06:20:21 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 06, 2021, 07:30:04 PM

I'm of course very interested in attending a Cleveland meet.  I hope I can make it, but if it's in the second half of July, I won't be able to.
same here, if it's second half of July I am out, heading out to Albuquerque for the annual matchbox convention held around that time
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Bitmapped

I'd be interested in a Cleveland meet as long as there's not a COVID flare-up. Not sure if I'd do the lunch/dinner part, though, as I've continued to avoid restaurants.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

July 3 & 10 have early evening Indians home games (6 PM start times)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 08, 2021, 02:00:33 AM

Does that make you more, or less, likely to host the meet on one of those dates?
-A.J. from Michigan

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 08, 2021, 07:44:12 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 08, 2021, 02:00:33 AM

Does that make you more, or less, likely to host the meet on one of those dates?
Depends on where I can hold lunch at. If I go with Edgewater Park/Whiskey Island (near downtown), I'll be very cognizant for parking for everyone. I think I found a site out east, at Euclid Beach, that would cancel any concerns I have about co-existing with downtown baseball traffic.

Roadgeek Adam

Given I hosted the last Cleveland meet 8 years ago, I am not opposed to driving down. We'll see.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Laura

Dan Murphy just announced his Wilmington, DE meet for July 17th, and the Extra Miler Club's annual meeting in Covington, KY (Cincinnati Metro) is August 7th, so if you could ideally pick another day that would be great. That said, given the choice between Cleveland and Cincy I will choose Cleveland due to distance.

hbelkins

Quote from: Laura on May 12, 2021, 04:21:34 PM
Dan Murphy just announced his Wilmington, DE meet for July 17th, and the Extra Miler Club's annual meeting in Covington, KY (Cincinnati Metro) is August 7th, so if you could ideally pick another day that would be great. That said, given the choice between Cleveland and Cincy I will choose Cleveland due to distance.

EMC is in northern Kentucky? It might be worth the drive up for a day.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

It's possible I can make it, but only if poo, and poo isn't very likely for a while.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Alps

Quote from: bandit957 on May 17, 2021, 12:19:27 PM
It's possible I can make it, but only if poo, and poo isn't very likely for a while.
try dulcolax

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I will be going with Saturday, August 28 for the Cleveland tour.
11 AM at Wildwood Metro Park. Bring your own lunch*
Tour will include....
MLK/Liberty Blvd through Rockefeller Park/Doan Brook (Several stone bridges)
Opportunity Corridor (future Oh 10), really the only road construction project we'll observed.
Abandoned Sideway Ave Supension Bridge (Seicer has a good history of this project on his website)
As many of the downtown Cleveland bridges as I can.
Shoreway West (Attempted "Road Diet" here)

(If I don't run out of time...)
Rocky River 
Valley Pkwy bridges, including...
Hilliard Blvd
Lorain Rd (Oh 10)
Brookpark Rd (Oh 17)
Berea Falls
----
Oh 82 over the Cuyahoga
I-271-480 dualization (ODOT sort-of uncoupled the two)

By this point, masks will be optional. If there is a demand (or meteorological necessity) to have an indoor gathering spot (for lunch or dinner), Beachland Ballroom will be my first option.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 18, 2021, 10:46:57 AM
I will be going with Saturday, August 28 for the Cleveland tour.

Sweet!  At this point, I am planning to be there.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 18, 2021, 10:46:57 AM
By this point, masks will be optional. If there is a demand (or meteorological necessity) to have an indoor gathering spot (for lunch or dinner), Beachland Ballroom will be my first option.

I would personally enjoy an indoor gathering spot for lunch (not sure I'll join for dinner but maybe), but I would defer to you as the host on whatever you want to do for that (and considering what everyone else is or isn't comfortable with).
-A.J. from Michigan

Roadgeek Adam

In the middle of August, indoors would be better.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 19, 2021, 03:48:13 PM
If we were in non-covid times, this would be a no-brainer. Otherwise, I stand by what I wrote originally...
QuoteIf there is a demand (or meteorological necessity) to have an indoor gathering spot (for lunch or dinner), Beachland Ballroom will be my first option.

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 19, 2021, 10:53:46 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 19, 2021, 03:48:13 PM
If we were in non-covid times, this would be a no-brainer. Otherwise, I stand by what I wrote originally...
QuoteIf there is a demand (or meteorological necessity) to have an indoor gathering spot (for lunch or dinner), Beachland Ballroom will be my first option.
By mid August we should be well emergent. The food looks fine there.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

A.J. Bertin

My time off from work has been approved for the Friday before this meet, which means I'll drive to Cleveland that day.  My hotel room is booked for Friday night and Saturday night.  I'm looking forward to this!
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

I'll have to pass on this meet. If possible, I'll be at Toledo instead.

dgolub

I'd be interested, as long as things are good coronavirus-wise.

JREwing78

This thread is missing a certain salesmanship:

Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt

There's tons of covered bridges to scope out just a little east in Ashtabula County. Good excuse to make it a weekend trip.
https://visitashtabulacounty.com/things-to-do/covered-bridges/

Laura

The three of us are planning on attending!

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.