News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwydriver405

Quote from: jakeroot on February 13, 2024, 08:40:56 PM
Thank you for sharing this video, I was curious how it operated and your video does a great job demonstrating the operations.

I hate to have to ask/clarify, but if I understand correctly, both approaches can go at the same time if the pedestrian phase is activated? This is pretty unusual, but then it looks like it may be illegal to continue straight? I see the R3-5LR signs for both approaches.

Yes, both approaches have a left and right FYA display when the pedestrian phase is activated via push button activation only. I'm unsure about the legality of proceeding straight thru Stevens Creek Blvd to stay on Henry, as all of the vehicle movements I observed were turning left or right.

jakeroot

Quote from: fwydriver405 on February 13, 2024, 10:05:32 PM
Thank you for sharing this video, I was curious how it operated and your video does a great job demonstrating the operations.

I hate to have to ask/clarify, but if I understand correctly, both approaches can go at the same time if the pedestrian phase is activated? This is pretty unusual, but then it looks like it may be illegal to continue straight? I see the R3-5LR signs for both approaches.

Yes, both approaches have a left and right FYA display when the pedestrian phase is activated via push button activation only. I'm unsure about the legality of proceeding straight thru Stevens Creek Blvd to stay on Henry, as all of the vehicle movements I observed were turning left or right.

Another thing I find peculiar is the left-facing flashing yellow arrows, facing...nothing. Drivers turning left don't have to yield to anything. Unless the pedestrian crossing is activated, in which case maybe they need to yield to traffic turning right? Since left turns always yield. Not really sure. Very unusual setup.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on February 14, 2024, 06:10:54 PM

Another thing I find peculiar is the left-facing flashing yellow arrows, facing...nothing. Drivers turning left don't have to yield to anything. Unless the pedestrian crossing is activated, in which case maybe they need to yield to traffic turning right? Since left turns always yield. Not really sure. Very unusual setup.

Very interesting setup indeed!

I'd guess the left FYAs are used to indicate that left-turning traffic has to yield to traffic that may be turning right from the opposing side of the offset stem...? It's peculiar to say the least.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mrsman

Quote from: roadfro on February 17, 2024, 04:07:59 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 14, 2024, 06:10:54 PM

Very interesting setup indeed!

I'd guess the left FYAs are used to indicate that left-turning traffic has to yield to traffic that may be turning right from the opposing side of the offset stem...? It's peculiar to say the least.

It seems that the straight through movement is prohibited.  While there is no sign saying that explicitly (straight arrow with a red crossout sign) there is a sign that shows left arrow and right arrow with one stem hanging on the mast arm of the signal.  This generally means that only the directions shown are permitted.

From GSV, it seems that the signal installation is relatively recent, in 2016 and years prior Henry Ave was controlled by stop signs having to yield to traffic on Stevens Creek.

It seems that there is a growing trend to not use a green orb signal if the straight movement is not allowed.  So the only permitted movements are left turns or right turns.  As each is required to yield to something, a protected green arrow is inappropriate, so a flashing yellow arrow is used instead.  I suppose the right turn is protected when no pedestrian pushes the button, but it is probably a good idea to keep it as a FYA, since there may be pedestrians who may make a run for it whenever Stevens Creek gets a red, even if they didnt push the button.

This is a weird signalization indeed.

L.A. tends to have a lot of split intersections, due to the way the city developed.

Here is the corner of Pico and Genessee:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0507399,-118.3635829,3a,75y,22.69h,76.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfLgJpbTYhzHvFYHFCx2sjQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DfLgJpbTYhzHvFYHFCx2sjQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D216.83968%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

The pedestrian crosswalks are at the edges of the intersection, not the middle.  Also, there is split-phasing and the straight through movement is allowed. 

As a child, I remember this corner used to have regular signalization, left turners would simply have to yield  to traffic that may be coming out of the opposing right corner, but  I certainly agree that the current split-phasing is the safer approach, but of course, the main downside to split-phasing is that it means more red time for Pico.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.