News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 49 Helena Bridge

Started by US71, May 29, 2021, 09:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PastTense

The increased traffic is quite temporary--only until the Memphis I-40 bridge is repaired. Since the bridge is not in danger of falling down, nothing needs to be done.

Mapmikey

ARDOT authorized studying the feasibility of improving US 49 including a new bridge at Helena at its Sept 2020 meeting.

See page 10 at https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/September-2-and-September-23-2020-Minute-Orders.pdf

bwana39

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 30, 2021, 05:03:45 PM
ARDOT authorized studying the feasibility of improving US 49 including a new bridge at Helena at its Sept 2020 meeting.

See page 10 at https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/September-2-and-September-23-2020-Minute-Orders.pdf

You could study anything. Just because you study something does not mean you act on it. I have a friend who got married the same EXACT day my wife and I did. He and his wife had a rough patch (or 4). He went and studied divorce. When he figured out the economics, he decided to drop it. He was married to her until his death.

I feel comfortable that the Helena Bridge is sufficient for the local traffic. I have said this before, this bridge poses no navigation hazard. There is no pressing need to remove it. As long as it suffices for local traffic, leave it in place and build another bridge somewhere else. My choice would be closer ot Memphis. Even the proposed Dean Bridge (which I have ranted and railed against) would be a better use of funds than removing a small town bridge that is sufficient for what its use in the next decade or so would dictate.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

edwaleni

Quote from: bwana39 on June 03, 2021, 01:45:06 AM

You could study anything. Just because you study something does not mean you act on it. I have a friend who got married the same EXACT day my wife and I did. He and his wife had a rough patch (or 4). He went and studied divorce. When he figured out the economics, he decided to drop it. He was married to her until his death.

I feel comfortable that the Helena Bridge is sufficient for the local traffic. I have said this before, this bridge poses no navigation hazard. There is no pressing need to remove it. As long as it suffices for local traffic, leave it in place and build another bridge somewhere else. My choice would be closer ot Memphis. Even the proposed Dean Bridge (which I have ranted and railed against) would be a better use of funds than removing a small town bridge that is sufficient for what its use in the next decade or so would dictate.

Studies are simply performing a professional assessment of the capability of a said bridge against current standards and requirements.

No different than a car owner assessing his car or truck after few hundred thousand miles to determine if it is viable to meet ones needs. (or in the example above, the viability of ones spouse)

Rick Powell

The late Bob Blasius, former IDOT District 3 engineer, once told me: "A feasibility study is something you do when you have no intention of actually building anything." Basically to appease the political constituency and demonstrate "doing something". Not all feasibility studies are used in this manner of course, but it brought a smile to my face from the memory.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 03, 2021, 11:10:19 AM

The late Bob Blasius, former IDOT District 3 engineer, once told me: "A feasibility study is something you do when you have no intention of actually building anything." Basically to appease the political constituency and demonstrate "doing something". Not all feasibility studies are used in this manner of course, but it brought a smile to my face from the memory.

This makes me laugh, mostly because it sounds so Illinois. So it's a viability study on political appeasement.

Mapmikey

While the above responses are certainly true, how often does a DOT build a project of that scale without doing a study beforehand?

bwana39

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 06, 2021, 02:26:50 PM
While the above responses are certainly true, how often does a DOT build a project of that scale without doing a study beforehand?

Oh I agree with you as well. The point is just because you study it doesn't even mean you have ANY intentions of building it.

As to actually building a project, these types of studies are parts of the EIS and other permitting and funding processes.

Which means you have to study it to build it, but you don't have to build anything just because you did a study on it.

I might add, generally, pointless studies are just a part of a bigger picture study that actually has elements that are actually within the realm of probabilities or even something that is almost certain to be built.

Stephane Dumas

Slightly off-topic but I wonder if the US-49 Helena bridge is retrofitted for earthquakes since it's in the New Madrid fault zone?

Road Hog

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 07, 2021, 09:29:40 AM
Slightly off-topic but I wonder if the US-49 Helena bridge is retrofitted for earthquakes since it's in the New Madrid fault zone?
I'm guessing not, since the bridge is old and not on a major route. A quake will just save both states on demolition costs and they'll count on federal disaster money to rebuild it.

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on June 07, 2021, 10:55:45 PM
I'm guessing not, since the bridge is old and not on a major route. A quake will just save both states on demolition costs and they'll count on federal disaster money to rebuild it.

It isn't about not spending money. It is the same reason they replaced the San Francisco Bay Bridge.  There is no good seismic retrofit available. As far as that goes, the M&A has not had a seismic upgrade.   

You know, I am as opposed to poor expenditure of public funds as your caricature depicts. The problem is you are as sarcastic about needed expenditure as you are about absolute waste. 

edwaleni

Structural appraisal:   Basically intolerable requiring high priority of corrective action

https://bridgereports.com/1018219

Last rehab: 1991

I didn't see any seismic actions taken.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.