News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wood-backed signs

Started by Occidental Tourist, June 06, 2021, 03:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

Anyone aware of jurisdictions that currently use retroreflective sheeting over a plywood backer for highway signs?  I've been traveling up US 191 in Utah this week and have found many (but not all)  signs along the highway that look fairly new that use plywood instead of metal for the backing.  I'd love to know if anyone is aware of whether this is an ongoing practice in Utah and whether any other jurisdictions use wood for sign backing.

Max Rockatansky

Wisconsin is big on plywood unisigns.  New Mexico, Arizona and Connecticut used to use them occasionally. 

tchafe1978

Wisconsin has been moving away from plywood signs since 2017. There are probably still plenty of them out there, but they're being replaced with aluminum backed signs. Wisconsin will still make unisigns, however.

US 89

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on June 06, 2021, 03:55:18 AM
Anyone aware of jurisdictions that currently use retroreflective sheeting over a plywood backer for highway signs?  I’ve been traveling up US 191 in Utah this week and have found many (but not all)  signs along the highway that look fairly new that use plywood instead of metal for the backing.  I’d love to know if anyone is aware of whether this is an ongoing practice in Utah and whether any other jurisdictions use wood for sign backing.

To be honest wood signs used to be way more common in Utah. As you noticed, there are plenty still out there, though they are gradually being replaced by their metal counterparts. There are even some wood-backed BGSs on I-15 through downtown Salt Lake City that date from a 2001 reconstruction project.

That said, I didn’t think Utah had installed any new wood-backed signs in the last 15 years or so. Do these look newer than that?

hbelkins

Ohio has used them, particularly for directional signs at intersections and mileage signs. I remember some wooden signs at the intersection of US 23 and US 20 southeast of Toledo years ago.

Most temporary orange construction signs in Kentucky are plywood.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: US 89 on June 06, 2021, 09:42:44 AM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on June 06, 2021, 03:55:18 AM
Anyone aware of jurisdictions that currently use retroreflective sheeting over a plywood backer for highway signs?  I've been traveling up US 191 in Utah this week and have found many (but not all)  signs along the highway that look fairly new that use plywood instead of metal for the backing.  I'd love to know if anyone is aware of whether this is an ongoing practice in Utah and whether any other jurisdictions use wood for sign backing.

To be honest wood signs used to be way more common in Utah. As you noticed, there are plenty still out there, though they are gradually being replaced by their metal counterparts. There are even some wood-backed BGSs on I-15 through downtown Salt Lake City that date from a 2001 reconstruction project.

That said, I didn't think Utah had installed any new wood-backed signs in the last 15 years or so. Do these look newer than that?

A couple of signs in Bluff for town distances looked fairly new; newer than some of the sun-crazed and sun-bleached metal signs near Blanding and Monticello.  Near Moab they had signs for upcoming passing lanes that definitely looked new that were on wood backers.  In fact, the wood-backed ones seemed newer (based on appearance and style) than some other metal-backed passing lane signs.

Wood-backed:

Metal-backed:

US 89

Hm. Interesting. I am actually heading down that direction in a few weeks so I will have to pay attention a little more closely.

I will say, though, that the wood-backed sign in that photo is actually probably older than the metal one. I think we abandoned that style a while back. If you're still down there, one way to check is to look in the bottom left corner, where signs made after ~2010 will have 2 digits indicating the year the sign was manufactured (though this is rather difficult to see/read at speed).

Occidental Tourist

Already moved on, but I'll check it out next summer when I go back.

renegade

Lots of wood-backed signs in northern Michigan, particularly in the Upper Peninsula.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

Quote from: renegade on June 09, 2021, 02:47:59 PM
Lots of wood-backed signs in northern Michigan, particularly in the Upper Peninsula.

I wonder why they're more prevalent up there and in Wisconsin. You'd think the cold, snowy climate and the resulting freeze-thaw cycles would make aluminum a better choice than wood.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 09, 2021, 03:14:32 PM

I wonder why they're more prevalent up there and in Wisconsin. You'd think the cold, snowy climate and the resulting freeze-thaw cycles would make aluminum a better choice than wood.

Same reason wooden houses are common there, I suppose:  lots of trees to make them from.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Sure, but the same is not true everywhere–Oklahoma doesn't have a lot of trees but we have a lot of wooden houses. And other forested states like those in the Northwest use aluminum signs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 09, 2021, 03:14:32 PM

Two words: Lowest bidder.

(Although with the way lumber prices are these days, I'd be surprised if wood is cheaper than metal.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MCRoads

I got to see a decommissioned Rt 66 sign on plywood. It was polished and stained by the DOT employee who kept it after it was taken down, but still. It's a lot heavier than a metal shield of the same size.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.