News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Control Cities

Started by geoking111, February 10, 2009, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Quote from: thenetwork on June 17, 2021, 06:56:15 PM
Just by force of habit, I have tried to book a flight from DIA, then realizing I have to use DEN.
I typed "PTI" in the search box for Greensboro's Piedmont Triad International Airport when searching for flights once, then realized that it isn't the airport code and GSO is. Signs on I-73 sign it as "PTI-GSO Airport", which I'm currently undecided whether if I like it or not.

ilpt4u

Pensecola Int'l Airport should certainly be signed "PNS Airport"  - so perfect

In the real world, the exit off FL's I-110 is signed "Airport Blvd - Pensacola Airport"

I am not sure signing O'Hare as "ORD"  would be better or worse than just signing O'Hare, as is signed today on the Tri-State, Kennedy, and Addams to get to the Airport

US 89

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2021, 07:04:55 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2021, 06:42:07 PM
Are there any airports with confusing codes, such as CVS, MLB, CNN, CDC, FBI, ETC, etc. in the United States?

I would consider Denver (DEN) as confusing to many, only because most people (at least the locals) calls the 25-year old airport by the three-letter DIA. 

Just by force of habit, I have tried to book a flight from DIA, then realizing I have to use DEN.
Just sign "Denver airport"

Which... is what they already do?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US 89 on June 17, 2021, 08:10:03 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2021, 07:04:55 PM
Are there any airports with confusing codes, such as CVS, MLB, CNN, CDC, FBI, ETC, etc. in the United States?

I would consider Denver (DEN) as confusing to many, only because most people (at least the locals) calls the 25-year old airport by the three-letter DIA. 

Just sign "Denver airport"

Which... is what they already do?
Ok that works
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hobsini2

LONG is that list. A few highlights.
MCO Orlando
BNA Nashville
SMF Sacramento
IAD Washington Dulles
RSW Ft Myers
SDF Louisville
MSY New Orleans
MCI Kansas City
PDX Portland, OR
MDT Harrisburg
AVP Scranton
TYS Knoxville
IAH Houston Bush Intercontinental
GEG Spokane
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 20, 2021, 12:16:55 PM
MCO Orlando
BNA Nashville
SMF Sacramento
IAD Washington Dulles
RSW Ft Myers
SDF Louisville
MSY New Orleans
MCI Kansas City
PDX Portland, OR
MDT Harrisburg
AVP Scranton
TYS Knoxville
GEG Spokane
I know most of these but only because I'm an aviation geek.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

MCO Orlando
BNA Nashville
SMF Sacramento
IAD Washington Dulles
RSW Ft Myers
SDF Louisville
MSY New Orleans
MCI Kansas City
PDX Portland, OR
MDT Harrisburg
AVP Scranton
TYS Knoxville
GEG Spokane

SMF is the software that this forum runs on, but it's not something absolutely everyone knows. MDT is Mountain Daylight Time, but you have to think about it for a bit. I don't know the alternative meanings of any of the other three-letter acronyms/initialisms.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Flint1979

For the airport near me it's called MBS so that's what the three letters are for the airport code. It use to be called Tri-City Airport but was switched to MBS in the 90's to ease confusion with other airports using the name Tri-City. It was switched to MBS because that's what the airport code was and still is.

Bishop International Airport in Flint uses FNT.

Gerald Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids uses GRR.

Capital Region International Airport in Lansing uses LAN.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on June 20, 2021, 12:54:32 PM
MCO Orlando
BNA Nashville
SMF Sacramento
IAD Washington Dulles
RSW Ft Myers
SDF Louisville
MSY New Orleans
MCI Kansas City
PDX Portland, OR
MDT Harrisburg
AVP Scranton
TYS Knoxville
GEG Spokane

SMF is the software that this forum runs on, but it's not something absolutely everyone knows. MDT is Mountain Daylight Time, but you have to think about it for a bit. I don't know the alternative meanings of any of the other three-letter acronyms/initialisms.

MCI used to be a phone company.

But I think the point of this list is simply that none of those codes are what you would "expect" the local airport code to be.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

I would stay away from the airport codes on road signs.  Many of them are cryptic and you don't want drivers to stop and think about the signs too much.  Maybe a few cases where the code is best known name of the airport would be okay - JFK, LAX.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2021, 01:26:16 PM
MCO Orlando
BNA Nashville
SMF Sacramento
IAD Washington Dulles
RSW Ft Myers
SDF Louisville
MSY New Orleans
MCI Kansas City
PDX Portland, OR
MDT Harrisburg
AVP Scranton
TYS Knoxville
GEG Spokane

But I think the point of this list is simply that none of those codes are what you would "expect" the local airport code to be.
MCI is still a thing, but it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Verizon. The Verizon Business part of Verizon, and especially its national and global fiber transit networks, are the direct descendants of MCI within Verizon

Often those long-haul fiber routes are still marked with "MCI"  Utility Locate flags when the cable routes are located for digging projects in the area

rarnold

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2021, 01:26:16 PM
MCO Orlando
BNA Nashville
SMF Sacramento
IAD Washington Dulles
RSW Ft Myers
SDF Louisville
MSY New Orleans
MCI Kansas City
PDX Portland, OR
MDT Harrisburg
AVP Scranton
TYS Knoxville
GEG Spokane

The reason KCI uses the call sign MCI is because Mid-Continent Airlines was using it (and TWA) were using Downtown Airport and Fairfax Airport at overhaul bases. The city was going to name the new airport as Mid-Continent Airport, but Mid-Continent merged with Braniff and the name was changed to Kansas City International Airport, or KCI. Attempts to change the call sign to KCI won't happen becuase MCI has appeared on nav charts.

ilpt4u

I didn't think any US airports were allowed to have a 3-letter airport code that starts with a "K"  - since the IATA prefix for US Airports is "K"  ie KJFK and KORD and KLAX

SkyPesos

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 20, 2021, 02:10:03 PM
I didn't think any US airports were allowed to have a 3-letter airport code that starts with a "K"  - since the IATA prefix for US Airports is "K"  ie KJFK and KORD and KLAX
There's KOA, though it's in Hawaii and uses a different ICAO prefix (P instead of K) than the mainland airports.

hotdogPi

It was actually to avoid confusion with radio stations. W wasn't used, either.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 20, 2021, 02:13:18 PM
There's KOA, though it's in Hawaii and uses a different ICAO prefix (P instead of K) than the mainland airports.
KOA is also a 50,000 watt AM radio station in Denver.

dvferyance

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 20, 2021, 03:12:22 PM
As well as a campgrounds.

Flint1979

Quote from: dvferyance on June 20, 2021, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 20, 2021, 03:12:22 PM
As well as a campgrounds.
Yep standing for Kampgrounds Of America.

SkyPesos

For anyone interested in finding the origin of an airport's three letter code: there's this site called airportcod.es that have most of the at least medium sized airports with passenger service on there with an explanation of their code.

SkyPesos

PDX Portland, OR
PDX isn't that out of the ordinary. 'PD' are the first and last letter of Portland, and X is a common filler letter for airport codes, like also in LAX.

hobsini2

Quote from: 1 on June 20, 2021, 02:40:26 PM

That's about 95% true. Alaska has a number of airport codes with a K to start. just glancing at wiki, there are a few in the lower 48, Kelso WA (KSO) and King City CA (KIC) for example, that use a K to start.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

US 89

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 20, 2021, 08:34:08 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 20, 2021, 02:40:26 PM
I didn’t think any US airports were allowed to have a 3-letter airport code that starts with a “K” - since the IATA ICAO prefix for US Airports is “K” ie KJFK and KORD and KLAX

That's about 95% true. Alaska has a number of airport codes with a K to start. just glancing at wiki, there are a few in the lower 48, Kelso WA (KSO) and King City CA (KIC) for example, that use a K to start.

Add Kanab, UT (FAA/IATA KNB, ICAO KKNB) to that list, too.

At least in Alaska, using K to start a 3-letter code would not cause any confusion with 4-letter K--- format ICAO codes because the prefix for airports there is PA (K is just for the continental US). The Fairbanks airport ICAO code is PAFA, for example.

Roadgeekteen

This is getting off topic. I think we need a new thread for airport codes.

hobsini2

Back to the topic at hand, using certain 3 letter airport codes that are obvious for "airport" control cities is perfectly fine with me. 

hbelkins

SDF is entirely logical if you know that Louisville's airport was known as Standiford Field for decades. I think it's now called Muhammad Ali International Airport, but I'm not sure, as all the signage on the interstates just says "Airport."

CVG makes little sense since the airport isn't located in Covington.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.