Altered, Repurposed, Recycled, Reused

Started by vtk, July 16, 2012, 12:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Dusting off this old thread to post a few pictures. When I discovered some negative scans from the late 1990s recently, I came across this gem:

It's gone now, but was located on northbound US 421 at KY 4 in Lexington. The back story behind this came to me from a where-is-he-now roadgeek named Joe Reda, who was a native of western Kentucky. When I first put a Web site online, he emailed me to tell me that when it was first opened, the Bluegrass Parkway was known as the Kentucky Bluegrass Parkway, and was marked that way on maps and signed with "KB Parkway" signs instead of "BG Parkway" markers.

Some others I have in my collection:

This is in Winchester, Ky. Not sure if it's still standing or not. Below is the front of the sign:

There were two recycled signs at this intersection back in 2001. This set reuses an old curve sign.

The other set had an old recycled US route marker.

Way back upthread, I mentioned some NC 87 signage.

I left these bigger than normal so you can see the overlay of the numbers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

formulanone

Found this on Facebook - tough to figure out this speed limit sign in Huntsville.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CentralCAroadgeek

Found this one while waiting at a stoplight on State St. in Salt Lake City:

This US-89 shield used to be a UT-76 shield.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on April 18, 2014, 09:13:37 AM
Found this on Facebook - tough to figure out this speed limit sign in Huntsville.

Here are the other two from that Marina. They aren't as bad as that one, fortunately.

Re-used Speed Limit Signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Re-used Speed Limit Signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Mergingtraffic

Wasn't there a famous pic of an old CT state-named I-86 shield on the back of a recent I-84 shield??
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on April 18, 2014, 09:28:02 AM

That's not just repurposed, that's sign abuse.  With the original number (8), it would be a contender for "best of".  Now it looks more like "worst of".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Posting this mainly to test out my new Photobucket and Imgur accounts:

Photobucket:

Imgur:

Found this at Jenny Wiley State Resort Park a couple of months ago. If you look closely, you can see patching where the "2" is. A part of KY 302 used to be KY 304. (This was also KY 3 for awhile). A couple of other KY 302 signs in this area also appear to have gotten this treatment.

Central Avenue

Watch as a little bit of black tape turns a warning message into a prohibitory message!
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Central Avenue on September 09, 2014, 11:02:17 PM
Watch as a little bit of black tape turns a warning message into a prohibitory message!

It reads more like an "all clear" message.

SignGeek101

Not a road sign, but the original bus stop sign for this bus stop was stolen about couple weeks ago. Then last week, this sign was posted in its place. Normally the bus stop name, number and the buses running on it are posted, but that has been whited out here.

This sign is temporary, but at one time it was used as a regular sign somewhere else. You can still see the word "Hastings" for the name and "50477" for the number and "16" on the sign. An old sign reused to represent a temporary sign.

hbelkins

I suspect this was once a KY 80 sign, since it was in Jackson County and the only 8x route in District 11 is KY 80, and the "9" was overlaid over the "0"

Billy F 1988

Well, doesn't this look familiar? Series C "8", Series A "9". Sounds a lot like what happened with the I-90 shield in Missoula of which the "9" was C, and the "0" was D. Yuck!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

freebrickproductions

Found this on Facebook. It's in Woodlawn, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SignGeek101

This one has definitely been used somewhere else, or was changed, but considering the sign "is on wheels", that's unlikely. Can't tell what the three once was.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/slWT9

roadfro

^ That sign appears to be made so that different panels can be placed over individual speed limit numbers, so that different speed limits can be displayed depending on where the speed truck is placed. Easier than putting on a new sign every time you move the speed truck.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 17, 2014, 12:24:36 AM
This one has definitely been used somewhere else, or was changed, but considering the sign "is on wheels", that's unlikely. Can't tell what the three once was.
[clipped]

Interesting that they're using an American speed limit sign in Canada. Perhaps if a Rip Van Winkle woke up at a spot near there and started driving, that thread about people who go a posted km/h speed limit in miles/hour wouldn't be too far fetched had it not been for the adjacent sign stating that the limit is indeed km/h.

SignGeek101

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 17, 2014, 12:38:52 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 17, 2014, 12:24:36 AM
[clipped]

Interesting that they're using an American speed limit sign in Canada. Perhaps if a Rip Van Winkle woke up at a spot near there and started driving, that thread about people who go a posted km/h speed limit in miles/hour wouldn't be too far fetched had it not been for the adjacent sign stating that the limit is indeed km/h.

There is the "Your speed" digital display that could remind people. If one were trying to go 30 mph, the display would read something like "48".

I've only seen these types of speed limit signs a few times in Canada. The one below has a separate "km/h" sign below it to remind people.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11045.msg2009660#msg2009660

afiler

Two altered embossed stop signs...
The first, only slightly altered:

Crystal, North Dakota by afiler, on Flickr

The second, radically repurposed:

Scotsguard, Saskatchewan by afiler, on Flickr

afiler

Two old reused Minnesota US highway shields:

Mapmikey

I don't think they tried very hard here:

https://goo.gl/maps/hBs3c

The correct number is 810...

Mapmikey

Sam

There were two unaltered I-87 reference markers used to mark a culvert on a town road in Seneca County, NY. I wish I had taken photos before they were replaced.

agentsteel53

Quote from: afiler on November 23, 2014, 11:22:55 PM
Two old reused Minnesota US highway shields:

wow!

a few years ago I was in Minnesota and found the corner of an old black on white state highway 34 in use as a bridge abutment warning reflector.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.