News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relaxok

My parents were back in CT recently (we've both moved away long ago).  They said the traffic and construction through I-84 in Waterbury is STILL going on.  It was getting into full swing back when I left in 2002 and was terrible again when I visited around 2010.

What exactly are they doing in Waterbury and why is it taking so long?

My recollection is that they were doing some straightening (which didn't seem all that helpful to me, being someone who commuted through it) but what else has it turned into?

shadyjay

They're actually making really good progress with I-84 Waterbury.  A reverse curve section is being eliminated, local roads realigned and rebuilt, overpasses being replaced, new exits/ramps being built, etc etc.... its a lot more than a simple widening.  There's a web site with lots of photos and cameras in the project zone. 

http://i-84waterbury.com/

And if you love construction in Waterbury, there's the upcoming Mixmaster rehab, set to add several more years of road work in Waterbury. 

DrSmith

Some of the Waterbury work took forever because of shoddy work done in the Cheshire section. As they were finishing up the construction, there were major issues with the drainage, guard rails, lighting discovered and required extensive work to correct. Once that section was fixed and fully opened, it was several years before the state decided to go back and finally widen the last 2 lane segment (the current construction zone).

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on July 07, 2018, 09:44:07 AM
They're actually making really good progress with I-84 Waterbury.  A reverse curve section is being eliminated, local roads realigned and rebuilt, overpasses being replaced, new exits/ramps being built, etc etc.... its a lot more than a simple widening.  There's a web site with lots of photos and cameras in the project zone. 

And if you love construction in Waterbury, there's the upcoming Mixmaster rehab, set to add several more years of road work in Waterbury.
What a time to be alive!  Got that, the Hartford Viaduct, I-91 Exit 29 reconfiguration, the potential Bulkley Bridge replacement, the final Merritt Parkway rehab project, the removal of the Middletown stoplights on CT 9.

ipeters61

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 07, 2018, 03:05:33 PM

What a time to be alive!  Got that, the Hartford Viaduct, I-91 Exit 29 reconfiguration, the potential Bulkley Bridge replacement, the final Merritt Parkway rehab project, the removal of the Middletown stoplights on CT 9.
Makes me miss CT even more.

Also what is this with a Bulkeley Bridge replacement?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alps

How many of these will actually happen before being canned?

MikeCL

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 06, 2018, 04:31:33 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on July 06, 2018, 07:55:48 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 06, 2018, 12:20:38 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5569998,-72.642563,3a,54.9y,299.94h,79.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG_CwfDdwel5TzPMYi_8fKQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
The remnants of the CT 9 NB metered ramp, the only one CONNDOT has ever installed.  Control box on the left.  The cone marks where the light was mounted.  Cracked pavement is where the cabling was sunk.
Hm...very interesting.  Do you know when it was in service?  Seems like an appropriate place to have a ramp meter since it's right before the stoplights in Middletown.
I've looked everywhere for paperwork; studies, engineering diagrams, completed projects, no dice.  Only proof (if you can call it that) is a memory of being in the car when my parents drove past it about 17-18 years ago.

Stupid question (happened to be in the shot when you move the camera around.. but what's those stations I've seen one 95-NB in Stamford.. are they weather motioning stations for the state?

KEVIN_224

If it's not the weigh station between Exit 2 and 3 in Greenwich, then you've got me.

jon daly

Quote from: MikeCL on July 10, 2018, 06:54:55 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 06, 2018, 04:31:33 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on July 06, 2018, 07:55:48 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 06, 2018, 12:20:38 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5569998,-72.642563,3a,54.9y,299.94h,79.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG_CwfDdwel5TzPMYi_8fKQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
The remnants of the CT 9 NB metered ramp, the only one CONNDOT has ever installed.  Control box on the left.  The cone marks where the light was mounted.  Cracked pavement is where the cabling was sunk.
Hm...very interesting.  Do you know when it was in service?  Seems like an appropriate place to have a ramp meter since it's right before the stoplights in Middletown.
I've looked everywhere for paperwork; studies, engineering diagrams, completed projects, no dice.  Only proof (if you can call it that) is a memory of being in the car when my parents drove past it about 17-18 years ago.

Stupid question (happened to be in the shot when you move the camera around.. but what's those stations I've seen one 95-NB in Stamford.. are they weather motioning stations for the state?

I see a couple stations that look like weather stations on or just off of Route 2. One is in the median between Colchester and Norwich (I think it is in Bozrah, but I'm not sure.) The other is right next to the entrance ramp to CT-2 North from High Street, E Hartford. I see it on Streetview, but I don't have the Google Fu skills to link the pic.

MikeTheActuary

MikeCL

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

RobbieL2415

Quote from: ipeters61 on July 07, 2018, 07:12:03 PM

There have been rumblings by Congressmen about replacing it with a new bridge or a tunnel. But this is very early talks.

jon daly

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 11, 2018, 05:04:46 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/27/nyregion/it-is-boom-time-in-highway-construction.html

Old NY Times article on CT road building boom

"Major road projects in the state will include widening the Commodore Hull Bridge between Derby and Shelton, widening I-91 north of Hartford, replacing the interchange of I-91 and I-84 in Hartford and rebuilding portions of I-86 near Manchester."

These aren't as sexy as new road construction from my perspective. They don't change the maps much unless they get detailed enough to show ramps. But I remember these projects very well. Before this, it wasn't easy to merge on to 91 in Enfield or Windsor Locks. And I think this was also the end of having to use Morgan St in Hartford to get from 84 to 91.

shadyjay

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 11, 2018, 08:48:00 PM

There have been rumblings by Congressmen about replacing it with a new bridge or a tunnel. But this is very early talks.

I wouldn't worry too much just yet on replace the Bulkeley.  From what I've heard, those rumblings are just that... pie in the sky ideas for massive reroutes of the interstates through Hartford.  Well, pie in the sky for now.  There's been no mention of the Bulkeley in the "Ramp Up CT" project or any other long-term docs that I've seen. 

Rothman

Quote from: jon daly on July 12, 2018, 06:46:49 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/27/nyregion/it-is-boom-time-in-highway-construction.html

"Major road projects in the state will include widening the Commodore Hull Bridge between Derby and Shelton, widening I-91 north of Hartford, replacing the interchange of I-91 and I-84 in Hartford and rebuilding portions of I-86 near Manchester."

These aren't as sexy as new road construction from my perspective. They don't change the maps much unless they get detailed enough to show ramps. But I remember these projects very well. Before this, it wasn't easy to merge on to 91 in Enfield or Windsor Locks. And I think this was also the end of having to use Morgan St in Hartford to get from 84 to 91.
The flyover from I-84 East to I-91 North was a huge deal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: shadyjay on July 12, 2018, 07:52:00 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 11, 2018, 08:48:00 PM

I wouldn't worry too much just yet on replace the Bulkeley.  From what I've heard, those rumblings are just that... pie in the sky ideas for massive reroutes of the interstates through Hartford.  Well, pie in the sky for now.  There's been no mention of the Bulkeley in the "Ramp Up CT" project or any other long-term docs that I've seen.

I would think that even if I-84 is rerouted and no longer uses the Bulkeley Bridge, the bridge would be retrofitted to its prior use as the Morgan St Bridge for local traffic to connect Morgan St in Hartford and Connecticut Boulevard in East Hartford.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mergingtraffic

CT was busy building new expressways well into the 1980s.  CT-72 west of I-84 until around CT-177 in 1981, CT-8 in 1982, CT-25 in 1983, I-384 in 1986, I-691 in 1987, even I-291 and CT-9 were completed in 1992/1994 respectively.

KEVIN_224

Flip the last two. CT Route 9's last segment, from Cedar Street (CT Route 175) in Newington to I-84 in Farmington, opened on September 30, 1992. I still have the story from WVIT-TV (NBC) channel 30 of New Britain/Hartford somewhere.

jon daly

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 12, 2018, 03:57:45 PM

CT was busy building new expressways well into the 1980s.  CT-72 west of I-84 until around CT-177 in 1981, CT-8 in 1982, CT-25 in 1983, I-384 in 1986, I-691 in 1987, even I-291 and CT-9 were completed in 1992/1994 respectively.

This is true, but I don't think the NYT article mentioned this. Then again,  I read it right after waking up so my reading retention skills weren't 100% :).

KEVIN_224

I was on the non-expressway portion of CT Route 8 for the first time on July 17th, riding through Winchester, the village of Winsted and Colebrook into Massachusetts. We stayed on it until reaching US Route 20 near Lee, MA. I now have 2 questions:

1- Was the expressway portion ever intended to continue further north?
2- Why does the route have an even number? (The same could be said about Route 9 in MA, along with Route 9 in VT and NH.)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 18, 2018, 06:17:50 PM
I was on the non-expressway portion of CT Route 8 for the first time on July 17th, riding through Winchester, the village of Winsted and Colebrook into Massachusetts. We stayed on it until reaching US Route 20 near Lee, MA. I now have 2 questions:

1- Was the expressway portion ever intended to continue further north?
2- Why does the route have an even number? (The same could be said about Route 9 in MA, along with Route 9 in VT and NH.)
1- Yes, all the way to the Mass Pike
2- I would guess it's because it's an alternative route to Southern VT. US 7 takes you through more densely populated towns in the Berkshires than CT/MA/VT 8.  8 ends literally in the middle of nowhere; Searsburg, VT. No fanfare, just a T intersection with VT 9.  8 was also a former NE Interstate route.

PHLBOS

Apparently, Gov. Malloy isn't ready to give up the ghost regarding tolls on CT highways.  He just authorized a $10 million study for such.  Wasn't a study already done prior to the withdrawn-legislative vote a month or two ago?

Gov Malloy Orders 10 Million Electronic Tolls Study

Complete waste of $10 million if one asks me.  How about placing that money towards actual maintenance & repairs instead.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 18, 2018, 07:46:30 PM
Apparently, Gov. Malloy isn't ready to give up the ghost regarding tolls on CT highways.  He just authorized a $10 million study for such.  Wasn't a study already done prior to the withdrawn-legislative vote a month or two ago?

Complete waste of $10 million if one asks me.  How about placing that money towards actual maintenance & repairs instead.
The General Assembly doesn't directly allocate funds that are given to CONNDOT. CONNDOT maintains roads based on their budget, which is based on the money they are budgeted from the GA. And they aren't not maintaining roads, obviously.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 18, 2018, 07:46:30 PM

There was a congestion relief study done about tolls. It's still on the CT DOT website. It's studied and studied again

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.