News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New MUTCD announced

Started by Alps, October 05, 2018, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

I always liked the underline tenths of miles. I wish that stuck around.

I'm also a fan of putting location names in boxes, similar to what New York does. (Although I'd suggest green-on-white instead of an actual outline).

ran4sh

Another error I have found is that Figure 2B-7 contradicts section 2B.34 paragraph 8 . (Regarding signage for reversible lanes that do not use changeable signs or signals but rather list the times on the sign)

The text says the prohibition time message must be listed "first" (to the left if arranged horizontally). But the figure depicts, for one direction, signs with the prohibition time listed second/in the middle.

This error is new, as the figure from the 09 MUTCD correctly complied with the text as shown here: https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009r1r2r3/part2/fig2b_07_longdesc.htm

Edit - It looks like the 09 version had its own error - one direction of signs is shown with the wrong times for prohibited and permitted lane use. But at least that error is in just the figure and does not have contradiction with the text.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Tom958

Bay City and Somerset were the fictional locales in which the soap opera "Another World" was set when I watched it as a teen in the seventies. The show was successful enough that "Somerset" was introduced as a spinoff, with the original series set in Bay City.

Quote from: on_wisconsin on December 22, 2023, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: jzn110 on December 22, 2023, 07:55:47 AM
Quote from: Big John on December 19, 2023, 11:37:13 AM
On Page 350, cities of Brookfield and Green Bay changed to fictional cities of Somerset and Bay City.

Bay City, MI, would like a word.

As would Somerset, WI...

-- US 175 --

Quote from: Tom958 on December 25, 2023, 04:13:48 AM
Bay City and Somerset were the fictional locales in which the soap opera "Another World" was set when I watched it as a teen in the seventies. The show was successful enough that "Somerset" was introduced as a spinoff, with the original series set in Bay City.

Quote from: on_wisconsin on December 22, 2023, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: jzn110 on December 22, 2023, 07:55:47 AM
Quote from: Big John on December 19, 2023, 11:37:13 AM
On Page 350, cities of Brookfield and Green Bay changed to fictional cities of Somerset and Bay City.

Bay City, MI, would like a word.

As would Somerset, WI...

I wondered if someone would bring up the Another World angle -- and if someone in the midst of the new MUTCD's production might have been a soap fan.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on December 21, 2023, 08:48:34 PM
The Hutch doesn't really have any examples of a single exit having two different numbers, though (aside from some not-updated signs at the CT border).  The closest is the NY 120 exit, 16B NB, 16 SB, but that situation isn't really unusual in a part of the country where one side of an exit being split by direction and the other side not is routine (even though that isn't the reason for it here).  Someone going SB looking for 16B would probably clue in to having to take 16 (especially if the rest of the state finally converts, and stuff like the 21/21B/21A/22 sequence on the Thruway goes away).

4, 5, 6, and 9 also have suffixes for multiple exits in one direction while remaining vanilla in the other.

Really more the "WTF really?" issue with the Hutch is that vanilla exit 8 exists in both directions but goes to two completely different places depending on which direction. SB it's the Cross County (former exit 15). NB it's Webster Ave (former exit 16).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Henry

Anyone find it funny that an unsigned Interstate is labeled on an APL sign for an exit that is one interchange too late in the real world? (At least they got the route and exit numbers right.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CovalenceSTU

I went through the new MUTCD's pictures and while I won't list everything, there's lots of neat additions such as U turn arrows, seagull intersections (sort of), "YOUR SPEED" standardized, units of sign info (similar to the Texas MUTCD), optional dotted line (instead of no line) before lanes end, no more three-lane roundabout examples (good riddance), and separated bike lanes.

US-99 makes a cameo:

New APL split arrow with no curve:

New section for instructing people to zipper merge: (edit: what have I done)

JoePCool14

I like that new arrow for two straight ahead options for APLs. Definitely gives another good option, especially for express-local lane setups.

Zipper merge signage needs to be more common. I'm tired of drivers merging a mile from the merge point, and semi drivers playing traffic cop to block the open lane.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Brandon

Quote from: Quillz on December 24, 2023, 05:36:41 PM
I'm also a fan of putting location names in boxes, similar to what New York does. (Although I'd suggest green-on-white instead of an actual outline).

The Ohio Turnpike used to to exactly that (green on white box) for one exit back in the 1990s and 2000s.  It has since been changed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 29, 2023, 01:57:15 PM
I'm tired of drivers merging a mile from the merge point, and semi drivers playing traffic cop to block the open lane.

In Oklahoma, many drivers find it difficult to ignore the big "STATE LAW / MERGE NOW" signs that are posted a half-mile upstream of the merge point...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2023, 02:31:50 PM
I'm tired of drivers merging a mile from the merge point, and semi drivers playing traffic cop to block the open lane.

In Oklahoma, many drivers find it difficult to ignore the big "STATE LAW / MERGE NOW" signs that are posted a half-mile upstream of the merge point...
And that's probably the best approach in many cases.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: kalvado on December 29, 2023, 02:33:37 PM

Even better would be to double solid stripe the lanes and prohibit passing within 1000ft of the taper.

The law should also be made abundantly clear that if you are in the lane that's merging, you must remain in it through the merge.

kphoger

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 29, 2023, 02:36:42 PM
Even better would be to double solid stripe the lanes and prohibit passing within 1000ft of the taper.

The law should also be made abundantly clear that if you are in the lane that's merging, you must remain in it through the merge.

Well, then, the new MUTCD zipper merge signage wouldn't see much use, then, would it?

Can we please not turn this thread into a debate about the zipper merge's benefits and drawbacks? especially considering nobody ever seems to come up with real data to back up their side of the argument...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

well, question is about placement of the merge. For free flowing traffic I would argue at least 30 seconds upstream. For congestion that 1/2 mile looks about right as well.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on December 29, 2023, 03:02:35 PM

well, question is about placement of the merge. For free flowing traffic I would argue at least 30 seconds upstream. For congestion that 1/2 mile looks about right as well.

What's the point of merging a 1/2 mile before the end of the lane?  You're still leaving 1/2 mile of open lane unused.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2023, 03:30:01 PM
Quote from: kalvado on December 29, 2023, 03:02:35 PM

What's the point of merging a 1/2 mile before the end of the lane?  You're still leaving 1/2 mile of open lane unused.
time and distance for the flow stabilization. What do we get by filling that 1/2 mile, though?

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on December 29, 2023, 03:36:09 PM
time and distance for the flow stabilization. What do we get by filling that 1/2 mile, though?

*uggggh*  OK, here we go . . .

There is a point at which that argument breaks down, though, isn't there?  Why not merge 1½ miles early? 3 miles early? 5 miles early?

Why does the flow stabilization have to happen at a specific point?
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2023, 03:39:07 PM
Quote from: kalvado on December 29, 2023, 03:36:09 PM

*uggggh*  OK, here we go . . .

There is a point at which that argument breaks down, though, isn't there?  Why not merge 1½ miles early? 3 miles early? 5 miles early?

Why does the flow stabilization have to happen at a specific point?
OK, what is the rate limiting step of the lane drop from your perspective? (and this may go to a separate thread, actually)

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on December 29, 2023, 03:41:22 PM
OK, what is the rate limiting step of the lane drop from your perspective? (and this may go to a separate thread, actually)

Single-file traffic passing through the physical merge point?
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2023, 03:46:16 PM

Point as in... ?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on December 29, 2023, 03:50:14 PM

Point as in... ?

Upstream issues where the roadway is constricted impact the overall flow.  A construction worker stopping traffic; a narrowed available lane, trucks occasionally being very close to the lane, or an unusual site that people are looking at will constrict flow.

kphoger

Point as in... ?

As in, the point at which it is no longer physically practicable for two lines of traffic to flow.  Is it quantifiably better or worse to have that be approximately where traffic merges, a half-mile past where traffic merges, or four miles past where traffic merges?
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2023, 03:54:59 PM

Point as in... ?

Upstream issues where the roadway is constricted impact the overall flow.  A construction worker stopping traffic; a narrowed available lane, trucks occasionally being very close to the lane, or an unusual site that people are looking at will constrict flow.
not what i asked.. lets try again.
let's consider more or less vanilla lane drop due to roadwork, as shown in MUTCD:

lets assume lane is closed for 1/2-1 mile so there is enough room to talk about traffic pattern in narrow area,  and no active work to interfere with the flow. Just simplest one.  Instead of suggesting last minute drop, lets add some room between merge and lane drop point, effectively moving all signs a bit back - same 1/2-1 mile, enough to talk about patterns.  And there is enough traffic to create some congestion.

Now, in which areas you expect free-flow, and where it would be congested stop-and-go, and what causes mode swtiches?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on December 29, 2023, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2023, 03:54:59 PM

Point as in... ?

not what i asked.. lets try again.
let's consider more or less vanilla lane drop due to roadwork, as shown in MUTCD:

lets assume lane is closed for 1/2-1 mile so there is enough room to talk about traffic pattern in narrow area,  and no active work to interfere with the flow. Just simplest one.  Instead of suggesting last minute drop, lets add some room between merge and lane drop point, effectively moving all signs a bit back - same 1/2-1 mile, enough to talk about patterns.  And there is enough traffic to create some congestion.

Now, in which areas you expect free-flow, and where it would be congested stop-and-go, and what causes mode swtiches?

Again: Upstream issues where the roadway is constricted impact the overall flow.  A construction worker stopping traffic; a narrowed available lane, trucks occasionally being very close to the lane, or an unusual site that people are looking at will constrict flow.

In other words, there are several issues that go into when traffic moves slow, and traffic moves fast. 

Use a traffic light for instance.  If you have 10 cars approaching and going thru a green light, there's no real constriction.  If you have 10 cars at a red light, there's heavy constriction.  When that light turns green, the first car goes, then the second, then the third, etc.  They don't all move at the same time.  In the meantime, approaching traffic comes up behind the 10th car, which hasn't moved yet even though the light is green, because it's waiting for the vehicles in front to move.  The 11th and 12th cars only saw a green light though, so in their minds the vehicles stopped in front of them shouldn't be there.

A work zone, or even general congestion, operates the same way.  Traffic piles in, and ultimately there's going to be a slowdown if there's a constriction ahead.  Once that constriction is removed, traffic starts to move again, but everyone doesn't suddenly go from slow to fast at the same time.  It takes time.  And the reduction of the lane will constrict traffic, regardless if everyone merges over at the merge point, 1/2 mile away, or 3 miles away. 

So use the available lanes till they end, because the constriction point won't change because traffic vacates an open lane early.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2023, 04:14:19 PM
So use the available lanes till they end, because the constriction point won't change because traffic vacates an open lane early.
Try again with a better picture:

Zone A: incoming free-flowing traffic slows down due to congestion ahead and merges into a single file, proceding like that into Area B
Area D: outgoing traffic is now not restricted, and accelerates to a highway  free-flow speed

Can you describe zone B and C?  assume no lane jumpers, everyone merges.

PS pardon my crazy image editing, don't shoot the piano player

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.