Remember when __ was __? (1 roadgeek + 1 non-)

Started by kphoger, December 28, 2022, 09:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Remember when Virginia had lots of cutout or white borders shields?
Remember when I-264 in Virginia Beach was VA 44?
Remember when the American Basketball Association was a viable major league?
Remember when the Washington Redskins were a very good team? (Mainly for 1995hoo as I was a diehard Redskin fan in the 1970's-early 1990's)
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hunty2022

Quote from: amroad17 on January 02, 2023, 12:06:15 AM
Remember when Virginia had lots of cutout or white borders shields?

Yes. There used to be many in Madison/Orange Counties, especially at Gordonsville or Madison.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Takumi

Used to be lots in Richmond too, as recently as a decade ago when I hosted a meet there and they were one of the features, and a few in Hopewell. Now the only one in the area is one carbon copied by Hopewell’s public works department around 2015.

Now if you remember when VA 44 was in Richmond and not Hampton Roads, you’re really old.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

I remember when VA 31 concurred with VA 5 into Williamsburg. 

I remember when Busch Gardens had a monorail to the Hospitality Center.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

Remember when US 66 went through Winslow AZ? Remember when the Detroit Lions last contended for the Super Bowl?  :bigass:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on January 02, 2023, 12:10:05 PM
Remember when US 66 went through Winslow AZ? Remember when the Detroit Lions last contended for the Super Bowl?  :bigass:

I do, the 1992 season when they made it it the NFC Championship game and got blown out by the Redskins.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2023, 12:24:53 PM

I do, the 1992 season when they made it it the NFC Championship game and got blown out by the Redskins.

That was the 1991 season, though the game you reference was played in 1992.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 02, 2023, 02:29:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2023, 12:24:53 PM

That was the 1991 season, though the game you reference was played in 1992.

Sorry, yes the game was during January 1992.  It was back during the era when my Dad was convinced Barry Sanders was going to lead the Lions eventually to a Super Bowl championship.  Started out promising for sure but never really got past the heights of the 12-4 year and being blown out by the Joe Gibbs Redskins.

amroad17

Remember when Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA was the "Old Country"  and Busch Gardens in Tampa was the "Dark Continent" ?
Remember when I-95 wasn't built between Palm Beach Gardens and Fort Pierce in Florida?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/JNypMrUv3RPgfVmd7
When this overpass in the eighties was a concrete arch bridge.

When CT was Conn before the two digit postal abbreviation was used.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: kirbykart on December 31, 2022, 08:52:08 AM
Remember when the Thruway had tollbooths?

Yes it only happened a couple years ago, but I remember finally taking a road trip in 2021 after the worst of the pandemic, and I was like "Where are the toll booths?" right around where the ones near Exit 50 used to be.

Remember when Maxemillian de Robespierre was executed in 1790s France?

Neither do I.

No, but I remember a revolutionist named Maximilien Robespierre who was executed in the summer of 1794...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on January 02, 2023, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on December 31, 2022, 08:52:08 AM
Remember when the Thruway had tollbooths?

Yes it only happened a couple years ago, but I remember finally taking a road trip in 2021 after the worst of the pandemic, and I was like "Where are the toll booths?" right around where the ones near Exit 50 used to be.

Remember when Maxemillian de Robespierre was executed in 1790s France?

Neither do I.

No, but I remember a revolutionist named Maximilien Robespierre who was executed in the summer of 1794...

I remember the killer robot Maximilian from the 1979 move The Black Hole (which also featured Maximilian Schell as Dr. Reinhardt).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.