News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-91 I-95 Merge in New Haven, CT

Started by Mergingtraffic, July 19, 2009, 02:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

There was an article in New Haven's paper about the new I-91 SB & I-95 SB merge construction that will be complete next year in April 2010.

The work will make the connection a two-lane interstate to interstate connection.  This is all part of the new Q-Bridge construction, which will make the current 6-lane bridge crossing over NH harbor into a 10 lane bridge, the type of bridge will also be the first of it's type in the US (not sure what type it is though).  The DOT also wants to make all directions at the I-91 & I-95 interchange 2-lane connections. 

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/07/19/news/metro/doc4a6283eb46be2673250765.txt

(Edit - Assume you don't mean I-95/I-95 merge :-D)
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

HalifaxTravaler

Interesting, as i plan on passing through there next May on my way to Deleware from Nova Scotia.I will be sure to follow this.

Hellfighter

I'm looking at that interchange in street view. It looks confusing as hell right now!  :wow:

Mergingtraffic

Oh yeah...I forgot the website:

www.i95newhaven.com

It has plans and a computer generated layout view too
Plus pics and status updates on the 6 or so seperate projects.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Duke87

From the article:
QuoteInterstate 91 rolls down from Derby Line, Vt., on the Canadian border, three or four lanes in each direction for most of the way.

Somebody obviously hasn't ever driven it in Vermont. :pan:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Sykotyk

Quote from: Duke87 on July 20, 2009, 08:12:19 PM
From the article:
QuoteInterstate 91 rolls down from Derby Line, Vt., on the Canadian border, three or four lanes in each direction for most of the way.

Somebody obviously hasn't ever driven it in Vermont. :pan:

Too true. Is there anywhere in Vermont that is six-lanes? Maybe I-89 through Burlington, but if so only between a few exits.

Sykotyk

Alps

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 20, 2009, 10:15:50 PM

Too true. Is there anywhere in Vermont that is six-lanes? Maybe I-89 through Burlington, but if so only between a few exits.

Sykotyk

As someone who has clinched VT's Interstates, no, there is nowhere six lanes in the state.

Sykotyk

Quote from: AlpsROADS on July 21, 2009, 06:34:17 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on July 20, 2009, 10:15:50 PM

Sykotyk

As someone who has clinched VT's Interstates, no, there is nowhere six lanes in the state.
(Edit - PLEASE figure out how to quote, people.  It's not hard.  Reply AFTER the LAST /quote.)

I thought so. i just drove I-91 to I-89 to Lake Champlain and didn't recall seeing any stretches where it was more than two lanes.

I love, though, the alternating "Deer Crossing", "Moose Crossing", and "Bear Crossing" signs throughout the state.

Also, got to see the unfinished I-189 ramps/overpass at US-7 in Burlington. Where did that I-189 intend to eventually end if not at US-7?

And speaking of Vermont freeways, I clinched the US-4 freeway from Rutland to the NY state line. Is there ever any plans to build a bypass around Rutland? Seems chaotic to have US-4 drivers crawl through Rutland to get to the southside of the city to finally get on the freeway.

So, aside from a small stretch of I-91 (I-89 to I-93) and I-89 from Exit 21 to the Canadian border, I've clinched all the freeways of Vermont.

Sykotyk

Alps

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 21, 2009, 07:38:21 PM
Also, got to see the unfinished I-189 ramps/overpass at US-7 in Burlington. Where did that I-189 intend to eventually end if not at US-7?
See the VT 127 mini-freeway.  189 would have headed up the shore at least that far.

And speaking of Vermont freeways, I clinched the US-4 freeway from Rutland to the NY state line. Is there ever any plans to build a bypass around Rutland? Seems chaotic to have US-4 drivers crawl through Rutland to get to the southside of the city to finally get on the freeway.

It was the only part built of the planned I-92 freeway.  Since nothing else ever got built, it's just numbered US 4.  (4 would have followed what's now 4A there.)  No known plans to do anything else with the bypass.

So, aside from a small stretch of I-91 (I-89 to I-93) and I-89 from Exit 21 to the Canadian border, I've clinched all the freeways of Vermont.

Nope.  In addition to the 127 I mentioned, there's also VT 289.  It may only be two lanes but it's definitely a freeway.  I'm assuming you got the length of 7 from Bennington to Rutland?

Sykotyk

Yeah, I got all of US-7, along with the spur from NY-7. Yeah, I probably will get those two 'mini freeways' next time I'm up there. One more county in Vermont I have to hit to clinch the state.

Anyways, what was the plan for I-92? Watertown to Augusta or so?

It's a nice freeway. Barely traveled. But crawling through Rutland's numerous lights just takes a toll. Also, any particular reason why US 7 is only a Super 2? Again, any plans of extending it further?

Sykotyk

Alps

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 21, 2009, 11:42:30 PM

Anyways, what was the plan for I-92? Watertown to Augusta or so?

It's a nice freeway. Barely traveled. But crawling through Rutland's numerous lights just takes a toll. Also, any particular reason why US 7 is only a Super 2? Again, any plans of extending it further?

Sykotyk

Most plans for 92 were from somewhere between Glens Falls and Albany east to Manchester, tying into the NH 101 corridor (or north of it) and heading either to Portsmouth or Portland.  Some plans had I-88 extending northeast from its current end and tying into that corridor.

US 7 - May have been an early consideration for I-89, but most likely the freeway was just constructed to handle the traffic.  Since there's not all that much traffic, there's no need for it to be more than a Super 2.  The right of way is there but it would take some blasting work to get the other carriageway in, so why spend the money?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.