News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ - I-80/I-287 Project

Started by Alps, July 27, 2009, 06:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

There's no indication of it at the NJDOT website, but there are orange signs on the I-280 WB and US 46 WB ramps to the I-80 Local roadway (at Exti 47) saying "This ramp to be closed on or about" but leaving the date blank.  On I-80 Local there's a VMS saying that the I-287 North ramp will close August 8.

How long is the I-287 North ramp closed?  When do the 280/46 onramps close?  When do they reopen?

NJRoadfan

Was just through there a half hour ago. Still no dates. Looks like the 287N to 80W loop ramp is going to be completely rebuilt though.

njroadhorse

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 28, 2009, 05:26:14 PM
Was just through there a half hour ago. Still no dates. Looks like the 287N to 80W loop ramp is going to be completely rebuilt though.
Yup, because it's too sharp for trucks to make it safely from 287N to 80W.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

signalman

According to an article in yesterday's local paper, there are supposed to be overnight ramp closures to install concrete barriers for worker safety and for repaving.  The following closures are scheduled:

Ramp from 80E to 287N will be closed from 11 pm Aug 6 to 5 am Aug 7 and from 10 pm Aug 7 to 5 am Aug 8.  Construction barriers will be removed and the improved ramp will be paved

Ramp from 80W to 287N will close from 11 pm Aug 8 to 8 am Aug 9 and from 10 pm Aug 9 to 5 am Aug 10.  Construction barriers will be installed during this closure

Workers are also supposed to be installing a retaining wall near the ramp from 287N to 80W, but the ramp does not need to close for that

Alps

Yeah, but none of that addresses the ramps from 46 and 280 to I-80 Local (i.e. to 287/exit 43).  The problem is that the ramps from 280 and 46 are at or beyond capacity during the day (say 1,000 vph from each with a long line behind them), especially during rush hour.  If the closure is anything other than overnight, delays will cascade back for miles and miles.  I assume it's only going to be overnight closures on those ramps as well, but the fact that I haven't seen a single word about any of this (DOT's website included) bothers me.

signalman

I understand completely.  I've used the ramps from 46 and 280 during the day, I know how they get backed up.  Those ramps were not mentioned in the newspaper article though.  I just wanted to report what I had read.

Alps

Gotcha - thanks.  In related news, I saw more signs on I-280 WB yesterday saying roughly "I-80 Local detour - use Exit 1".  Which means nothing to anyone, unfortunately.  The detour signs really ought to be for I-287, and then once you get on US 46 throw in some I-80 shields as well.  People will have to figure out that I-80 Local is that roadway they always take - the only I-80 Local shield I know of is right at the divergence from I-80, which means that all this diverted traffic can't at all be expected to know what it is.

akotchi

That's called looking at a plan for the roadway name rather than the surrounding signing when putting together the detour plan . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

New update (UPDATED) - ramp closes 8/21.  Hopefully it opens in time for weekday commuters.  Time to avoid that train wreck otherwise.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.