News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 1 in Wiscasset, ME

Started by froggie, August 01, 2009, 09:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Currently on vacation, eventually heading into Canada.  Spent the past day-and-a-half along the mid-Maine coast (Meaghan has a friend who owns an inn in Newcastle).  And both days so far, have been caught in what was a 30-minute delay trying to get through Wiscasset on US 1.

And from what I've been told by locals, this is a regular occurence, not just on summer weekends, but during the week now as well.  Numerous factors involved.  Looking at 2007 MaineDOT traffic counts, US 1 averages in the 17-20K range through Wiscasset, and this is no doubt much higher on summer weekends.  There's a 25 MPH speed limit with a few tight curves and a steep hill through town.  There's an at-grade rail crossing just before the bridge across the Sheepscot River.  And there are very popular tourist destinations in downtown Wiscasset that send a steady stream of pedestrians across the street.  Neither direction is immune...while I was caught in 30 minute delays on northbound (sic EB) US 1, the southbound direction was seeing delays of its own of at least 10-15 minutes.

As of last year, MaineDOT was working on a Draft EIS for a bypass project (which is SORELY needed, not to mention 4-laning US 1).  But the locals are telling me this has been pushed around for at least 4 decades...nobody can come to an agreement...and at this point it's doubtful funding could be found anyway.

So the situation is likely to stew...

Ian

Wow I didn't think Wiscasset was that crowded. I was there last year and it wasn't that bad, just minor town traffic. Freeport is another bad traffic town in Maine, but I-295 already by-passes it, so you can take that around town.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

The Coastal Highway is a bear.  Maine should take a page from Rhode Island, build a new four-lane divided highway inland (few signals, Michigan lefts where required to minimize direct crossings), and designate the current highway Scenic 1A.

froggie

That would be optimum...but I just don't see it happening.  You could make an argument, based on traffic volumes, for 4 lanes out to Waldoboro, and for spot improvements pretty much along the entire corridor, but the only real bottlenecks along US 1 are at Wiscasset and Brunswick.

Ian

Brunswick is also a bad traffic area. That's why I am glad there is a freeway from there to Bath. But that still doesn't ease any congestion on Pleasant St or Mill St. A traffic circle is an option but that area is too tight to build one. Widning is a another option, but with all the businesses I doubt it. Another problem in Brunswick is that on Pleasant St, there is no left turn lanes at any of the traffic signals, side streets, businesses, or driveways.
Youtube l Flickr

Ian

I just went through Wiscasset today while on vacation in Maine. Jeeze I see what you mean. Traffic is terrible! Took me about 25 minutes to get through. There are a lot of pedestrian crossings aswell. However I did enjoy going through with all the old New England style houses and beautiful trees and scenery. I see the sign going northbound into town and I do agree its the "prettiest town in Maine".

Oh BTW, froggie, did you notice there is a wrong-way multiplex with US 1 and ME 27 through Wiscasset? I got lots of photos of different signs from the area.

Ian
Youtube l Flickr

froggie

Yes, saw the wrong-way multiplex, but was more interested in noting the traffic jam, the cause of the traffic jam, and avoiding hitting anyone/anything in the traffic jam.

Ian

Alright, was just wondering.
Youtube l Flickr

OracleUsr

To me, the Coastal Highway designation is a misnomer, both south of Bucksport and north of Ellsworth, the only sections I have been on in Maine.  The highway barely touches the coast.  US 1 is not a route you take if you want to go anywhere fast.  Why Mapquest recommended it as the route from Bangor to Lubec still boggles my mind.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Alps

Quote from: OracleUsr on August 29, 2009, 12:07:34 AM
To me, the Coastal Highway designation is a misnomer, both south of Bucksport and north of Ellsworth, the only sections I have been on in Maine.  The highway barely touches the coast.  US 1 is not a route you take if you want to go anywhere fast.  Why Mapquest recommended it as the route from Bangor to Lubec still boggles my mind.

One of the ugliest "scenic routes" I have ever driven.  Every glimpse of the coast looked black and tarry.  ME 9 was such a breeze across central Maine, and very, very scenic IMO.

OracleUsr

I should have used Hwy 9.  I had one chance to photograph the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse and missed my chance because of the thick fog.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

froggie

Disagree with Steve on the ugly/"black and tarry" part.  Didn't look black at all for Meaghan and I.  We actually found the Rockland-Bucksport segment to be quite scenic (minus the Belfast bypass), and the route goes through some neat downtowns along the way.

Alps

We definitely picked a bad weekend.  I don't know why everything looked so bad.  And I'd agree, the downtowns themselves are likely the most scenic part.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.