News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CT 15: the good, the bad, and the...

Started by Duke87, August 13, 2009, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

First, the good. If anyone was wondering if there are any old state outline CT 15 shields still up anywhere, I present to you your answer:

One thing that is possibly assisting this one's continued survival: it's not on a state highway.

Next, the "bad". Couple of current spec shields, nothing too special:

And finally, the ugly:

You could chalk this up to a weird imitation of the actual style if it was New Jersey, or Delaware.... but Connecticut has never used circle shields. In fact, this one (and another one just like it) is also not on a state highway, so CONNDOT may or may not even be responsible for it.
Also, note how the arrow is on the same sign panel as the "shield". Funky.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

74/171FAN

The bottom one sounds like something that VDOT would allow or even the city of VA Beach with their rampant circle shields for state highways  :-/
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mergingtraffic

where are those old shields?  More old relics...up farther on CT 15 & US 5 at the CT-175 interchange there are some old green button copy signs, get off going north and turn right. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

There are a handful of state-outline 15's floating around still, just very hard to find.  I don't think any are left on a BGS.  One is indeed left on a state road.

Dougtone

There is an outline CT 15 shield on CT 136, at an intersection near a truss bridge.  All other details escape me for the moment.

wytout

"where are those old shields?  More old relics...up farther on CT 15 & US 5 at the CT-175 interchange there are some old green button copy signs, get off going north and turn right."

In CT Button Copy is not always old.  We have so much of it, and some of it has been placed in the last 15 or so years, like on I-291.  ConnDOT has some love affair with button copy.  I've seen some overhead repair work on signs on I91 north of hartford, with new button copy letters and numbers placed to keep these signs alive.  In fact Just about every green overhead on I-91 north of Hartford is Button Copy.
-Chris

Mergingtraffic

I know CT used button copy up until the late 70s.  Then, they started using regular non-copy letters, as evidenced when CT-25 opened up in 1982-1983.  Also, some early 80s NON button copy on CT 34 SB in West Haven and NB just before CT 8. 

Then they started using button copy in the mid 80s again as evidenced when I-84 was widened through Danbury, they replaced all the old signs with button copy and those awful square sign gantries.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Duke87

Quotewhere are those old shields?

North end of Roxbury Road in Stamford (it's visible in Google street view). Same area as the ugly little circles All in reference to the Den Road interchange, which is a topic in and of itself.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Then please start the Den Rd. topic!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.