News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

DRJTBC Awards Contract for I-78 Open Road Tolling

Started by PAHighways, September 29, 2009, 11:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission approved a contract today for Open Road Tolling (ORT) at the I-78 Toll Bridge.  This project and similar work at the I-80/Delaware Water Gap Toll Bridge would make these the first Delaware River crossings equipped with high-speed E-ZPass capabilities.

http://www.drjtbc.org/default.aspx?pageid=1558

Chris

Why are those bridges even tolled? Aren't they payed off by now?

Lots of connections to get out of the state are tolled, almost if they are meant to keep people "in". There are like 13 toll bridges across the Delaware river. Only I-95 in Trenton doesn't seem to be tolled, plus probably some minor bridges further upstream.

froggie

They're tolled in part because the rules against tolling Interstates don't apply to major bridges or tunnels, and in part because the tolls provide funding for maintenance of both the tolled bridges and nearby local free bridges (such as the one downstream in Milford).

And yes, you are correct in your observation that "connections to get out of the state are tolled".  You'll find that on both sides of New Jersey...notice the bridges/tunnels across the Hudson are also tolled going eastbound (i.e. out of Jersey).

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on September 30, 2009, 07:19:14 AM
And yes, you are correct in your observation that "connections to get out of the state are tolled".  You'll find that on both sides of New Jersey...notice the bridges/tunnels across the Hudson are also tolled going eastbound (i.e. out of Jersey).

My brother and I noticed that years ago and laugh at it! :rofl:

It hasn't always been this way.  I remember back in the early 1980s that the Delaware Water Gap Bridge was tolled in both directions.  I can say the same thing of the Walt Whitman Bridge (I-76) in Philly and the Delaware Memorial Bridges (I-295) near Wilmington.

I think they are all tolled one way now.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Roadgeek Adam

This streak (on the Hudson) actually continues up northward

The Tappan Zee is tolled eastbound
The Bear Mtn is tolled eastbound
The Newburgh-Beacon is tolled EB.
The Mid-Hudson is tolled eastbound
The Kingston-Rhinecliff is tolled EB.
The Rip Van Winkle is tolled eastbound

Weirdo process
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

froggie

Not weird...consistency.  Simply put, as you pointed out, all of the tolled crossings of the Hudson collect the tolls going eastbound.

Sykotyk

Well, it makes sense for New Jersey. Once you're there, you'll gladly pay to leave  :sombrero:

Seriously, you have to toll it in one way consistently. Otherwise, the ingenious traveler will cross where it's free eastbound, and then cross where it's free westbound.

Sykotyk

mightyace

Quote from: Sykotyk on October 01, 2009, 04:20:54 PM
Well, it makes sense for New Jersey. Once you're there, you'll gladly pay to leave  :sombrero:

Seriously, you have to toll it in one way consistently. Otherwise, the ingenious traveler will cross where it's free eastbound, and then cross where it's free westbound.

Sykotyk

Even so, there are still options to reduce it.  On a trip in 2000, I crossed from NJ to PA on the US 202 bridge near New Hope, PA.  The toll was either 25 or 50 cents at the time.  I crossed back on the Delaware Water Gap bridge which was somewhere between $1 and $3 westbound but I was going eastbound. (I don't recall exactly what it was since I didn't have to pay it!) :sombrero:

That's not the same as avoiding the toll, but nice nonetheless.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

I-95 free
Old Alt 1 and Calhoun St. bridges free
Washington's Crossing free
etc.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on September 30, 2009, 07:59:30 PM
Not weird...consistency.  Simply put, as you pointed out, all of the tolled crossings of the Hudson collect the tolls going eastbound.

Wonder why that is? Aren't they missing out on a lot of revenue by not tolling in both directions?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2009, 09:06:45 AM

Wonder why that is? Aren't they missing out on a lot of revenue by not tolling in both directions?

I am thinking their rationale is: people will go in the morning, and then come back in the evening, so they will get everyone sufficiently by charging twice what they normally would, but only in one direction.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

^^ Didn't that happen on the Verrazano Narrow Bridge? First it was tolled in both direction, but I believe they canceled the tolls eastbound, and now charge the double amount westbound. 90% of the traffic drives back and forth anyway. Better be in the queue one time than two times...

PAHighways

Quote from: Chris on October 03, 2009, 01:30:09 PM
^^ Didn't that happen on the Verrazano Narrow Bridge? First it was tolled in both direction, but I believe they canceled the tolls eastbound, and now charge the double amount westbound. 90% of the traffic drives back and forth anyway. Better be in the queue one time than two times...

There are no tolls going westbound into Staten Island.

Truvelo

What about the Northampton St Bridge near Phillipsburg? The free bridge is about 1/4 mile from the tolled US-22 bridge. Anyone on US-22 could easily use the free bridge and not lose much time.
Speed limits limit life

froggie

I disagree with that.  There's several traffic signals, a 25 MPH speed limit, and it's almost all single lane (i.e. no way to pass).

Lyle

Quote from: PAHighways on October 03, 2009, 01:47:07 PM
There are no tolls going westbound into Staten Island.

Yes, there are. And they're pretty high, too.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Chris on October 03, 2009, 01:30:09 PM

Can't say I've ever paid that ridiculous toll to cross the Gangplank. I've driven it quite a few times eastbound for free though.

PAHighways

Quote from: Lyle on October 04, 2009, 12:56:25 AMYes, there are. And they're pretty high, too.

I didn't remember going through a toll plaza at the western approach the last time I took 278 leaving NYC.

froggie

PAHighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.