News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CT Route 11

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 05, 2009, 03:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

The new Route 11 Expressway in Southeastern CT is not dead afterall.  Last week, politicians thought it was dead because the state put the project on hold as they have to prioritize their project monies.  Ths project has support from all the politicians and regional goverments. 
Congressman Joe Courtney says there is monet in the state to complete the enivronmental studies and he wonders why that can't still move forward.   The state completed the FEIS in 2007 but have to do more so the EPA doesn't veto the project so they want to corss their t's and do their i's.

I don't thinkit'll be done in my lifetime and I'm in my mid-30s but at least it isn't totally dead.

But it's rare to have ALL the officials on board for it and it still goes nowhere. Amazing.  And Joe Courtney brings up a good question...if they have the money why not do the enviromental studies!?!?!

Here is the article..courtesy of the Day, newpaper...

State DOT commissioner says Route 11 still alive 

By Amy Renczkowski      Published on 10/5/2009 

Print This      Send Correction  Norwich – Route 11 is not dead.

So said state Department of Transportation Commissioner Joseph Marie this morning to elected officials, called to a closed-door meeting about the long-stalled project.

The pending engineering and environmental studies, which could take about three years to complete, are on hold until an in-house analysis of the department's needs is conducted. That analysis will be completed and submitted to the governor next month.

If those needs are addressed, and projects are prioritized, Marie said the state could push forward with the studies for Route 11 as early as next year.

"We want to evaluate systematically all the needs around the state to make informed decisions,"  Marie said. "We don't want to bite off what we can't chew. We want to commit to doing it, and doing it right."

The closed-door meeting was called by U.S. Rep. Joe Courtney and held at the Southeastern Connecticut Council of Governments in Norwich. Members of the media were only invited to attend a press conference, which immediately followed the meeting.

Courtney said the purpose of the meeting was to discuss the future of the project, in particular the recent announcement by the state DOT that the studies required for the project are on hold. Courtney said he thinks the studies should have been the most immediate focus.

Courtney already secured federal funding for the study and the state lined up a consultant to work on the preliminary engineering of the proposed highway as well as an environmental mitigation plan.

"Personally I'm disappointed because the money is there,"  Courtney said. "This is a step that has to happen and we have the funding."

Local legislators, as well as town officials and members of the Route 11 Greenway Authority Commission, said they had an open and honest conversation with the commissioner. Many felt their concerns, like whether the department viewed the project as valid, were addressed.

"Clearly it (the project) is on hold until they do their analysis,"  Courtney said. But according to the commissioner, "This is not a final rejection of the plan."  

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

wytout

It's not dead yet, but politics certainly has the project on a ventilator.  Hopefully it recovers before the plug is eventually pulled.
-Chris

Duke87

What Governor Rell doesn't seem to get is that a sudden shift in policy is disruptive and wasteful. The state has already spent money on an EIS and planning for that road. If they axe the project, all that money will have been wasted. Can't we see outstanding road projects through to completion and then put more emphasis on mass transit when we look to start new ones? So, you know, my tax dollars are actually put to good use rather than squandered by sudden changes of mind?

Politics. :pan:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.