News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Lawsuit over I-190 Grand Island tolls

Started by WNYroadgeek, October 22, 2009, 09:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNYroadgeek

QuoteThe lawsuit, filed on behalf of a man from Long Island and a woman from Ontario, Canada, cries foul over the toll break that Grand Island residents get in crossing the bridges. They complain that Grand Island residents get too much of a break on their tolls, paying only 9 cents for a one-way trip that costs nonresidents up to $1.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/835323.html

:banghead: Is a 91 cent difference really that big a deal?

Roadgeek Adam

:\ - Its called "equality" - and Grand Islanders need it, because there is no free bridge onto the island
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

mightyace

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 22, 2009, 10:43:05 PM
:\ - Its called "equality" - and Grand Islanders need it, because there is no free bridge onto the island

But, the residents of Grand Island chose to live there and the toll is one of the costs of living there just like some areas have higher taxes, housing prices, gas prices, etc. than others.

I say, give them a frequent user break but that's it.  However, if the reduced rate is written into law, that it needs to stay.

Better yet, just take the tolls off the bridges!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mgk920

Howabout making the south bridge totally *FREE* while charging the $1 toll both ways for the north bridge?  It would generate the same revenue from the through traffic while giving the islanders *FREE* access.

:nod:

Mike

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: mightyace on October 22, 2009, 10:50:07 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 22, 2009, 10:43:05 PM

But, the residents of Grand Island chose to live there and the toll is one of the costs of living there just like some areas have higher taxes, housing prices, gas prices, etc. than others.

I say, give them a frequent user break but that's it.  However, if the reduced rate is written into law, that it needs to stay.

Better yet, just take the tolls off the bridges!

According to NYSDOT, they are trying that, as those are the only two tolls left on 190 in the first place
Adam Seth Moss

vdeane

Well, I certainly can't envision bridges of that type being free.  Don't they cost a lot of money to maintain?  The toll on the Thousand Islands Bridge is $2.50, and NYC bridges are much higher, so the Grand Island bridges are VERY cheap compared to similar crossings.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: deanej on October 23, 2009, 01:28:37 PM
Well, I certainly can't envision bridges of that type being free.  Don't they cost a lot of money to maintain?  The toll on the Thousand Islands Bridge is $2.50, and NYC bridges are much higher, so the Grand Island bridges are VERY cheap compared to similar crossings.

And I can't imagine paying two and a half dollars just to cross a measly bridge. $2.50 in toll money gets you nearly to Tulsa from here.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

That's still very cheap compared to the NYC bridges.  It's also only towards Wellesley/Hill Islands, similar to the Grand Island Bridge setup.  I don't remember the exact price of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, but it's in excess of $7.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheStranger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 23, 2009, 01:39:47 PM
Quote from: deanej on October 23, 2009, 01:28:37 PM

And I can't imagine paying two and a half dollars just to cross a measly bridge. $2.50 in toll money gets you nearly to Tulsa from here.

In the Bay Area, most bridges are $4 now, the Golden Gate Bridge is either $5 or $6 depending on time of day.  Ouch!
Chris Sampang

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: deanej on October 23, 2009, 01:54:01 PM
That's still very cheap compared to the NYC bridges.  It's also only towards Wellesley/Hill Islands, similar to the Grand Island Bridge setup.  I don't remember the exact price of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, but it's in excess of $7.

$11
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 23, 2009, 04:25:50 PM

$11

No wonder my EZ-Pass recharged twice in one day.  :ded:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 23, 2009, 04:25:50 PM

$11

How do they get away with that without people tearing the bridge from its moorings? If they charged that much here it would be perpetually empty.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

citrus

Supply and demand. Charge $11 for a bridge and people start taking the free ferry. New York moves better as a result.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.