News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Route 3/Meadowlands Construction Projects - NJ

Started by njroadhorse, November 08, 2009, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njroadhorse

Got a chance to pass through the newly reconstructed Exit 53 on I-80, going from 80 East to 46 East, and then along the newly done part of US 46 right after the interchange.  The new BGSs include NJ 62 signage for Union Blvd!

Also, the NJ 3/NJ 120 interchange is currently being redone. I got a chance to drive the new flyover, but it looks like more is being done.  Can anyone elaborate?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

akotchi

^^  It has been awhile since I have been there, but I know of a couple of projects that may be underway.  One is the Route 3/120 interchange you were talking about.  The other might be improvements to Interchange 16W, by the Turnpike.  They are all part of the development at the Meadowlands.  I don't have many details, though.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on November 08, 2009, 04:02:21 PM
^^  It has been awhile since I have been there, but I know of a couple of projects that may be underway.  One is the Route 3/120 interchange you were talking about.  The other might be improvements to Interchange 16W, by the Turnpike.  They are all part of the development at the Meadowlands.  I don't have many details, though.

3/120, as far as I know, isn't being redone at all except maybe for some repaving or structural work (rehab/repair).  All of the construction in that area is stemming from the remodeled Interchange 16W that is mostly open but still under construction for another year or two.  It boasts improved capacity and higher speeds = more safety.  Xanadu has alraedy changed some traffic patterns inside the Meadowlands, but it hasn't affected travel on 120 and it hasn't redone the 120/3 interchange.

I believe that the Route 3 EB bridge (the original one carrying both directions of 3) east of the Meadowlands is about to get replaced.  Work hasn't started that I know of, though.

akotchi

Both Route 3 bridges are supposed to be redecked at some point.  Maybe that's what you are referring to.

I thought 3/120 was supposed to be reconfigured for 120 SB to merge into 3 EB from the right.  Maybe that is still in the future.

I hear things now and again (and have proposed on these things), but I don't always retain them . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Split off this part of the topic...

Quote from: akotchi on November 09, 2009, 10:54:08 PM
Both Route 3 bridges are supposed to be redecked at some point.  Maybe that's what you are referring to.

I thought 3/120 was supposed to be reconfigured for 120 SB to merge into 3 EB from the right.  Maybe that is still in the future.

I hear things now and again (and have proposed on these things), but I don't always retain them . . .

I thought the bridge was getting replaced entirely, not just redecked.  Switching the sides of 120 could certainly tie in with that project.  I just know what I see on the ground, and right now I haven't seen much of anything at 120/3 suggesting a major realignment.  Now that you mention it, I do recall those plans, but again it was contingent on getting a new bridge in there.  The current one is 70-80 years old.

njroadhorse

Here's something about the Route 3 Passaic River Bridge...
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/works/studies/rt3/

Still searching for info on the Hackensack River Bridges on 3
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Alps

Quote from: njroadhorse on November 11, 2009, 07:31:51 PM
Here's something about the Route 3 Passaic River Bridge...
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/works/studies/rt3/

Still searching for info on the Hackensack River Bridges on 3
I know the Passaic River Bridge project intimately.  It's one of my company's projects and I'm friendly with the project manager.  In fact, I was just discussing advance signage today for this bridge.  Should be interesting - even in the current condition you have 3-4 exits within 1/4 mile or less (Route 21 SB, 21 NB, Route 507 Riverside Dr., Park Ave.)  Trying to update everything to today's standards and keep it MUTCD compliant is going to be a brain teaser.

And it's relevant to the Meadowlands area, too.  Expect to see more advance Meadowlands signage and Turnpike signage - you already have the one fading Meadowlands symbol on an advance sign at Route 21.  www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/nj_3/e21s.jpg

Nexis4Jersey

That Construction project is an obsulute mess , wait till they extend the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to the Complex , more Bridges and Flyovers :banghead: will be needed

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.