News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New REAL ClearView Sign Spotted in Connecticut!

Started by RoadMaster, September 09, 2009, 04:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simguy228

I drove up to West Virginia last night because I was taking pics. of guide signs on I-81 and I saw a lot of ClearView signs over there... I know they are very common in PA (especially near Harrisburg & York). So, when I take pics. of ClearView signs again when I go on my next trip to PA, I'll look and host the signs onto imageshack for you to see :colorful:
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

shadyjay

Quote from: HighwayMaster on November 15, 2009, 05:13:49 PM
Quote from: simguy228 on November 14, 2009, 09:41:40 PM
Oh gosh, get out the torches burn the sign with torches so we won't see it again  :banghead: :pan:

I don't blame you, but I still want the pic.

What pic do you desire?  Perhaps I can snap it for ya...
outline shields on Rt 66?  the outline shield of state route 1? 
pick your poison and i'll see what i can do!

edit: quote tag formatting

agentsteel53

what do you mean by "outline shield"?  When I think of that, I think of these like the 7 and 202 here, which are all over Connecticut.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

shadyjay

Outline shields are ground-mounted stand-alone shields which are similar to (but much much smaller than) those state route shields used in Massachusetts... check this page:
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/ct_66/

About halfway down is a JCT 217 sign with outline shields. 
Below it are more standard CT route shields, with a solid black border. 

hbelkins

Quote from: simguy228 on November 15, 2009, 07:22:30 PM
I drove up to West Virginia last night because I was taking pics. of guide signs on I-81 and I saw a lot of ClearView signs over there... I know they are very common in PA (especially near Harrisburg & York). So, when I take pics. of ClearView signs again when I go on my next trip to PA, I'll look and host the signs onto imageshack for you to see :colorful:

Where did you see Clearview signs along I-81 in West Virginia?

I drove the length of I-81 southbound in WV back in February (http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2009_Milford_PA_Day_4/index.html) but did not see any Clearview southbound. All the button copy signs had been replaced from the last time I was there in 2004, but I didn't see any Clearview. There is Clearview in spots in Virginia and Maryland, though.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

simguy228

Quote from: hbelkins on November 18, 2009, 06:23:31 PM
Quote from: simguy228 on November 15, 2009, 07:22:30 PM

Where did you see Clearview signs along I-81 in West Virginia?

I drove the length of I-81 southbound in WV back in February (http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2009_Milford_PA_Day_4/index.html) but did not see any Clearview southbound. All the button copy signs had been replaced from the last time I was there in 2004, but I didn't see any Clearview. There is Clearview in spots in Virginia and Maryland, though.

Yet I may have been seeing ClearView signs... :hmmm:
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

shadyjay

Okay, there is some confusion and its mostly my fault... 
Both signs imaged... the Clearview at the top, and the Exit 7 for US 7/202 sign are both on I-84.  When I wrote "The I-84 pic linked above was replaced during a project that took place a couple of years ago...".... I was referring to the sign at the top of the thread.  The I-84 East Exit 7/US 7/202 pic and I-84 West Clearview in Waterbury pic are currently whats on the road.  They have yet to replace the button copy on I-84 between the NY state line and the Rochambeau Bridge, in between you'll find a mix of "today's hits and yesterday's favorites", and with some newer interstate shields stuck up here and there for good measure. 

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on November 28, 2009, 12:35:52 AM
Okay, there is some confusion and its mostly my fault... 
Both signs imaged... the Clearview at the top, and the Exit 7 for US 7/202 sign are both on I-84.  When I wrote "The I-84 pic linked above was replaced during a project that took place a couple of years ago...".... I was referring to the sign at the top of the thread.  The I-84 East Exit 7/US 7/202 pic and I-84 West Clearview in Waterbury pic are currently whats on the road.  They have yet to replace the button copy on I-84 between the NY state line and the Rochambeau Bridge, in between you'll find a mix of "today's hits and yesterday's favorites", and with some newer interstate shields stuck up here and there for good measure. 

Although, of the sign pic of "Exit 7 US-7 & US-202", I believe the state replaced the "exit only" part because I drove through there and it wasn't faded.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

That may be indeed, but it still should be button copy.  There is a project to replace signs on I-84 from the NY state line to the Rochambeau Bridge (around site of former Exit 12) but it hasn't started yet. 

A few years ago, ConnDOT did start replacing interstate shields, whether they be button copy or jumbo size, with smaller versions, as most of the "jumbos" on I-84 east of Hartford are now gone.  There were some jumbo I-84 shields EB at Exit 3, but those may be gone now too, but pretty sure that's all thats been replaced - not entire signs yet.

agentsteel53

Quote from: shadyjay on November 28, 2009, 11:46:35 AM
A few years ago, ConnDOT did start replacing interstate shields, whether they be button copy or jumbo size, with smaller versions, as most of the "jumbos" on I-84 east of Hartford are now gone.  There were some jumbo I-84 shields EB at Exit 3, but those may be gone now too, but pretty sure that's all thats been replaced - not entire signs yet.

what was the point of that?  Replacing a larger shield with a smaller one?  I understand rewriting the spec that, going forward, the shields should be 36" not 48", but to actively spend taxpayer dollars retrofitting perfectly good signs??

jake@aaroads.com

shadyjay

The large shields were quite faded, the red turned white and the blue a lighter blue.  It was interesting that a lot of the shields replaced have the state name in the shield, and some of the fonts are inconsistent within the same sign.  Check here  http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/i-84/e3.html and scroll down to Exit 58 to see what I mean. 

Westbound too, large CT 15 shields are gone, replaced with smaller shields.... they look odd as you can still see the outline of the old shield and how much bigger they were.  Reckon those signs date to the mid 1980s, before we started going to button copy route markers and text and such.

agentsteel53

oh those ... yes, those may have been as old as the I-86 to I-84 switch in the early 1980s.

jake@aaroads.com

shadyjay

Don't know if I'll be able to get over there to get the shot... as I head back to Vermont for the winter on Wednesday.
So much to do and so little time...

wytout

Has anyone noticed how those wonderful new outlined exit tab BGSs (and BBSs) on the NB signs for exit 80 (CT 82) on I-395 in CT mix the right aligned and centered tabs.  All the signage associated with Exit 80 NB is new, Advance signage, exit signage, and blue signage.  Also, they seem to use micro-prism grade sheeting, instead of CT's old favorite, outdated engineer grade stuff.   It's a great group of signs, BUT i wish they could have made all the exit tabs right aligned, as CT seems to be placing new signage with exit-side aligned tabs.  All in all though, I'd have to guess this group of signs was contractor installed.  The materials seem tooooo high quality to be ConnDOT at work ;)
-Chris

wytout

New Clearview Filth on CT-9 NB near the I-84 interchange

This can't be very old at all.  I don't recall seeing it last time I drove this way, and the aluminum on the back side of the sign shines like brand new.

Funny thing is.  Tab is center mounted.  Most of the new sign installations that have been going on the past couple years have been following MUTCD guidance, and tabbing right or left depending on the exit side of the road as suggested.
-Chris

agentsteel53

wow, look at all the cars stopping to ogle the freak!

jake@aaroads.com

wytout

I just hope they were able to get their windows down quickly enough to throw up OUTside their vehicles!
I know I sure felt dirty after viewing it.... twice.  I had to come home and scrub my eyes with brillo pads.
-Chris

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: wytout on December 21, 2009, 02:08:48 PM
New Clearview Filth on CT-9 NB near the I-84 interchange

This can't be very old at all.  I don't recall seeing it last time I drove this way, and the aluminum on the back side of the sign shines like brand new.

There was a temporary sign in that area...I wonder if that is the new sign?  If so, why is CT so obstinant in putting the exit tabs on the right or left side?

The 2003 MUTCD even suggested right/left sided exit tabs.

wytout

There are still temporary signs in that area for CT-71
Same Day Photo.

Now the next question is... Are they going to be putting in a 1/4 Mile Advance Guide Sign permenantly, or will they be removing this one altogether because the new exit sign is up?  If they are going to be putting in an advance sign at 1/4 mile..... is it going to be another Freak!?  Or will it be FHWA standard font?  Most new signs going up in CT are still FHWA font.  Clearview seems to still be the oddball exception.  Let's just hope it stays that way.

-Chris

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: wytout on December 21, 2009, 03:14:00 PM
There are still temporary signs in that area for CT-71
Same Day Photo.

Now the next question is... Are they going to be putting in a 1/4 Mile Advance Guide Sign permenantly, or will they be removing this one altogether because the new exit sign is up?  If they are going to be putting in an advance sign at 1/4 mile..... is it going to be another Freak!?  Or will it be FHWA standard font?  Most new signs going up in CT are still FHWA font.  Clearview seems to still be the oddball exception.  Let's just hope it stays that way.

Yes, that was the one I was thinking of....I've seen other temp signs like this and they will eventually be replaced.  Route 8 had a couple and have been replaced....complete with right-side exit tabs.  

CT-8 SB Exit 28 & 25 Exit now signs and the gantry over the highway for Exit 27 has been replaced.  
CT-8 NB:  Exit 14 1/4 mile sign...which never existed before...it's just a new sign and Exit 18 exit now signs.

Funny thing....I went from I-84 EB to CT-9 SB and everytime I go throughthe stack,I wish what coulda' been!  Too bad I couldn't go north on I-291! LOL

wytout

The buckland hills mall exit in manchester on I-84 WB (Exit 63) has ONLY temp advance signs right now (one at 3/4 mile out and one at 1/2 mile out I believe), except for the overhead at the exit gore.  There is still an older permanent sign there.

They've been there a while.  I wonder how long they can leave those signs posted.  They are very small and clearly a MUTCD violation in regards to size.  
-Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.