News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY - First stimulus projects ready for bid

Started by Dougtone, March 04, 2009, 06:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

The first construction and renovation projects eligible for funding through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) could be put to bid as early as this week, according to New York Governor David Paterson.  Local officials learned last week that transportation projects have been approved in several Upstate New York counties. More will be announced in the coming weeks.  This story is according to the Legislative Gazette of New York.

Read the article at... http://tinyurl.com/bkmw58

Michael

A portion of I-690 was recently resurfaced, so I don't see where it's needed.  Surface streets are what need the work.

Snappyjack

And no mention of building new roads where it is needed, or widening existing roads to meet traffic needs. Typical New York garbage. Compare to Missouri and how they are using their money, and you'll see what I mean.

Michael

Oh, I forgot:  The I-81 elevated highway is at the end of it's lifespan.  In another post, I suggested an idea for a new bridge to replace it.

Chris

Quote from: froggie on March 04, 2009, 12:49:36 PM
Snappy:  are needed repairs/maintenance/replacement/reconstruction not acceptable?

I don't think so, if a DOT can't fund them from their regular budget, something's wrong. The stimulus ought to be used to speed up major reconstruction projects, or new construction, not for regular maintenance in my opinionl.

vdeane

The whole point of the stimulus (aside from the economic crisis) was to repair America's infrastructure.

NY hasn't been able to pay for stuff like this from its regular budget for years now.  It doesn't help that they recently took back I-84 from the Thruway Authority.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Snappyjack

Quote from: froggie on March 04, 2009, 12:49:36 PM
Snappy:  are needed repairs/maintenance/replacement/reconstruction not acceptable?

It's a problem because it is all stuff that should have been done 10 to 20 years ago. We need to be moving forward, not continually be stuck in the past. Where are New York's four lanes like other states? Where are the new roads to alleviate congestion in some of our cities? I'd say that Buffalo and Rochester have the best freeway networks of all the cities in our state, and even those could be a little bit better.

The I-86 conversion would have been done by now if this was any other state. It's been 10 years, and it still isn't signed the whole way. New York lets politics and community involvement get in the way and hamper things.

I am not saying that some of these projects aren't necessary, I am just saying that it shouldn't have come to this point. We should be way more advanced in the infrastructure than this.

Mergingtraffic

your complaints sound like you could be talking about Connecticut. CT has bad highways and lack of them as well.  CT has no stimulus projects ready.  They are still in paperwork. 

Actually, around Albany and LI also has a good network of roads.  Yes, LI is congested but at least the freeway framework is there.  CT it isn't there!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.