News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Create your own news story

Started by hotdogPi, February 18, 2019, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

QuoteVMT transponders to implement fines
In addition to per-mile taxes and automatic toll deductions, fines will now be automatically deducted from the balance on the VMT transponder. For example, running a red light by ⅒ second will subtract $2, and a rolling right on red will subtract $5, but blatantly running through the opposing green phase will subtract $50. Speeding 1 mph over the speed limit will charge you an extra 0.5¢ per mile, but speeding 20 over the limit will quadruple the per-mile rate. Police will no longer pull over people who violate the law in ways that are automatically accounted for.

QuoteInterstate 135 in Kansas fails and spontaneously combusts
Interstate 135, which runs from Wichita to Salina, KS, has combusted. I-135 is a radioactive isotope of iodine with a half-life of 6.6 hours. It decays into Xe-135, a gas with a half-life of 9.6 hours. Then it turns into Cs-135, which has a half-life of a few million years, so very little of it decays. However, cesium reacts explosively with air. When I-135 started turning into xenon, its supports failed, causing overpasses to collapse, and as the xenon turned into cesium, the entire thing exploded in small bits.

QuoteInterstate Card Game becomes a hit
A new game has become quite popular – the Interstate Card Game. Each card has an Interstate or a group of Interstates, and there are a few action cards. The goal is to collect all 2-digit Interstates in a single state. For example, if you are holding an I-95 card, you can claim ME, RI, or DE immediately, which is worth a few points, but maybe you're also holding the only I-4 card in the deck, in which case you would want to try to collect I-10 and I-75 to "clinch" Florida for a much larger reward. Reviews of the game have been mostly positive, with an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 (reviews in the format X/5 have been scaled).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

index

Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2019, 08:34:46 AM

Interstate 135, which runs from Wichita to Salina, KS, has combusted. I-135 is a radioactive isotope of iodine with a half-life of 6.6 hours. It decays into Xe-135, a gas with a half-life of 9.6 hours. Then it turns into Cs-135, which has a half-life of a few million years, so very little of it decays. However, cesium reacts explosively with air. When I-135 started turning into xenon, its supports failed, causing overpasses to collapse, and as the xenon turned into cesium, the entire thing exploded in small bits.

I found this one far more amusing than I really should have. I wonder how else you can make elaborate puns out of route designations...
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

CNGL-Leudimin

Too bad it will take a few thousand years (half-life of about 5730 years) for Catalan highway C-14 to turn into nitrogen :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SectorZ

US Senate by voice vote clears the new transportation bill, known by its acronym FRITZOWL (Funding Ridiculous Interstate Travel Zooming Over Worried Legions), which calls for annexation of Canada, Mexico, and all the Central American countries to build a continent wide Interstate highway system. The plan calls for 32 east-west coast to coast interstates across the US alone, making for convenient travel to many national parks that will now have direct access to the over 60 year old system.

Ben114

Quote from: SectorZ on February 18, 2019, 06:34:16 PM
US Senate by voice vote clears the new transportation bill, known by its acronym FRITZOWL (Funding Ridiculous Interstate Travel Zooming Over Worried Legions), which calls for annexation of Canada, Mexico, and all the Central American countries to build a continent wide Interstate highway system. The plan calls for 32 east-west coast to coast interstates across the US alone, making for convenient travel to many national parks that will now have direct access to the over 60 year old system.
Love the acronym!

US 89

Quote from: SectorZ on February 18, 2019, 06:34:16 PM
US Senate by voice vote clears the new transportation bill, known by its acronym FRITZOWL (Funding Ridiculous Interstate Travel Zooming Over Worried Legions), which calls for annexation of all 15 North American countries, the countries will be, the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Terrtiories, Nunavut, Quebec, Greenland, Iceland, Alanland, Hawaii, Bermuda, Belize, and Saint Pierre and Miquelon, not central america, caribbean, or south america because i considered them other continents, and all the Central American countries, in and i would also like to have to have the interstate highway system in Europe and Australia, in Europe will have them in every country, like the UK, France or Spain, and in Australia will have them also in every country, like in Australia (Nation), or New Zealand, and this interstates can also be in Antarctica, and maybe South Africa, because in Antarctica theres only 1 or 2 countries, and about 5 or 6 Territories, and in South Africa because it looks like Europe, Australia, or North America, and those continents like North America, Europe, and Australia do look alike along with Antarctica and South Africa, theres my plan to build a continent wide Interstate highway system. The plan calls for 32 east-west coast to coast interstates across the US alone, making for convenient travel to many national parks that will now have direct access to the over 60 year old system.

FTFY. The fundamental principle of the Conservation of Words applies here, as always: no word has been created, altered, or destroyed.

kurumi

Mario Kart Coast to Coast pre-announced for Nintendo Switch

A port of the popular Zen Nihon Mario Kaato (Mario Kart All-Japan) is coming to the United States in July, said Omoshiroi Josei, a spokesperson for Nintendo USA. In a partnership with Niantic, the San Francisco-based developer of the popular Pokemon Go mobile game, Nintendo will create Mario Kart tracks based on 24 different roadways in the United States.

12 of the 24 tracks will be locked until the player achieves certain racing goals, as is the case in current Mario Kart releases.

The new courses will not merely be the usual Mario Kart tracks with localized graphics and decorations, Josei said. On US 301 in central Florida, for example, the leading racer might be pursued by a police officer. On I-95 in Fairfield County, the winning move will be to find an alternative to I-95. On the third lap of Highway 1 in Big Sur, racers will need to avoid sliding into the sea with the rest of the roadway.

"On every course there will be one highway that was proposed, but never built," said Josei. "If you find all 24 highways, you will unlock a special character."

Josei did end the interview with a hint -- a name that I'll leave up to the reader to figure out why: Robert Moses.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Takumi

Quote from: kurumi on February 18, 2019, 10:32:43 PM
Mario Kart Coast to Coast pre-announced for Nintendo Switch

A port of the popular Zen Nihon Mario Kaato (Mario Kart All-Japan) is coming to the United States in July, said Omoshiroi Josei, a spokesperson for Nintendo USA. In a partnership with Niantic, the San Francisco-based developer of the popular Pokemon Go mobile game, Nintendo will create Mario Kart tracks based on 24 different roadways in the United States.

12 of the 24 tracks will be locked until the player achieves certain racing goals, as is the case in current Mario Kart releases.

The new courses will not merely be the usual Mario Kart tracks with localized graphics and decorations, Josei said. On US 301 in central Florida, for example, the leading racer might be pursued by a police officer. On I-95 in Fairfield County, the winning move will be to find an alternative to I-95. On the third lap of Highway 1 in Big Sur, racers will need to avoid sliding into the sea with the rest of the roadway.

"On every course there will be one highway that was proposed, but never built," said Josei. "If you find all 24 highways, you will unlock a special character."

Josei did end the interview with a hint -- a name that I'll leave up to the reader to figure out why: Robert Moses.
I....really want this to be a thing.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

nexus73

QuoteVMT transponders to implement fines
In addition to per-mile taxes and automatic toll deductions, fines will now be automatically deducted from the balance on the VMT transponder. For example, running a red light by ⅒ second will subtract $2, and a rolling right on red will subtract $5, but blatantly running through the opposing green phase will subtract $50. Speeding 1 mph over the speed limit will charge you an extra 0.5¢ per mile, but speeding 20 over the limit will quadruple the per-mile rate. Police will no longer pull over people who violate the law in ways that are automatically accounted for.

QuoteInterstate Card Game becomes a hit
A new game has become quite popular — the Interstate Card Game. Each card has an Interstate or a group of Interstates, and there are a few action cards. The goal is to collect all 2-digit Interstates in a single state. For example, if you are holding an I-95 card, you can claim ME, RI, or DE immediately, which is worth a few points, but maybe you're also holding the only I-4 card in the deck, in which case you would want to try to collect I-10 and I-75 to "clinch" Florida for a much larger reward. Reviews of the game have been mostly positive, with an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 (reviews in the format X/5 have been scaled).

Imagine a mandatory VMT in every vehicle and if there is no balance on it, the vehicle will not start.  As if red light cameras were not bad enough!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bandit957

Missouri town to build Michael McDonald statue

The city of Rolla, Mo., has approved construction of a 50-foot-tall statue of singer-songwriter Michael McDonald, to be visible to travelers along Interstate 44. The $2.3 million fiberglass sculpture was approved by City Council on Tuesday. City Manager Tom Casper said, "I'm not a rock 'n' roll guy myself," but added that the statue will bring in tourist dollars to this university city.

McDonald, who sang on many of the Doobie Brothers' records in the late 1970s and early 1980s, was born in St. Louis, 100 miles to the northeast. Latest population estimates show Rolla with a population of about 20,000.

The statue is inspired by a mural honoring the band Air Supply in Lansing, Mich.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.