AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pennsylvania  (Read 167625 times)

roadman

• Last Login: November 17, 2017, 02:56:00 PM
Re: Pennsylvania
« Reply #900 on: October 13, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »

Philly.com indicated it will be 4 years before construction begins.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/penndots-fix-for-traffic-jams-on-the-blue-route-and-i-95-let-drivers-use-the-shoulders-20171013.html

It will likely be four years before the design for the changes is complete, PennDot officials said. Construction would follow.
IIRC, such has been talked about for over 20 years.  Better late than never.
If the intent is peak hour use only (as is the norm in other places), it shouldn't take four years of design work.  IIRC, the I-93 Wilmington (MA) to Methuen peak-hour shoulder (aka breakdown lane) use implementation - which was a full build design, including proper turnout areas, that covered just under 20 miles of physical shoulder (breakdown lane) that was converted - took just over two years from start of design to completion of the work.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Hope for the Alan!

• Last Login: November 18, 2017, 09:24:51 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #901 on: October 13, 2017, 06:10:36 PM »

If the intent is peak hour use only (as is the norm in other places), it shouldn't take four years of design work.  IIRC, the I-93 Wilmington (MA) to Methuen peak-hour shoulder (aka breakdown lane) use implementation - which was a full build design, including proper turnout areas, that covered just under 20 miles of physical shoulder (breakdown lane) that was converted - took just over two years from start of design to completion of the work.

It's PA, so I can believe it. No money for anything anywhere.
~ Steve
http://www.alpsroads.net
I've listened many times, and I still can't figure out what the fox says.

"YOUR NAME IS NAMED AFTER A BUTT"

Roadsguy

• Last Login: November 18, 2017, 11:22:23 AM
« Reply #902 on: November 04, 2017, 04:10:55 PM »

Got a better picture of the new FYA signal near Myerstown on US 422 at Ramona Road:

I also noticed they removed the 55 mph zone between Prescott Road/Drive and just east of this intersection. It's now all 45, but I think it could stand 50. They also didn't "center" 422 here where the directions used to split. There's now a weird jog as the whole road realigns along where the north shoulder always was.
After 95revive we need 76fix.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 01:00:44 AM
« Reply #903 on: November 04, 2017, 11:37:29 PM »

Got a better picture of the new FYA signal near Myerstown on US 422 at Ramona Road:

I also noticed they removed the 55 mph zone between Prescott Road/Drive and just east of this intersection. It's now all 45, but I think it could stand 50. They also didn't "center" 422 here where the directions used to split. There's now a weird jog as the whole road realigns along where the north shoulder always was.

PA likes x5 speed limits. There aren't a whole lot of 50 mph limits.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: November 17, 2017, 06:56:18 PM
« Reply #904 on: November 05, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »

There's been some money for the PennDOT way of doing Interstate reconstruction, but not nearly enough.  There has even been some (modest) progress on remediating two of the most awful Interstates in the nation (I-70 west of New Stanton and I-83 around York).

Now, with the highest per-gallon state motor fuel tax rates (both gasoline (58.2) and Diesel fuel (74.7)) in the coterminous 48 states plus D.C., PennDOT does have a pretty good bridge repair, redecking or replacement program up and running (but given how many structurally deficient bridges there are in Penn's Woods, that is going to consume dollars for quite a few years).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:08:15 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 01:19:29 AM
« Reply #905 on: November 05, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »

There's been some money for the PennDOT way of doing Interstate reconstruction, but not nearly enough.  There has even been some (modest) progress on remediating two of the most awful Interstates in the nation (I-70 west of New Stanton and I-83 around York).
Now, with the highest per-gallon state motor fuel tax rates (both gasoline (58.2) and Diesel fuel (74.7)) in the coterminous 48 states plus D.C., PennDOT does have a pretty good bridge repair, redecking or replacement program up and running (but given how many structurally deficient bridges there are in Penn's Woods, that is going to consume dollars for quite a few years).

PennDOT has a $5.7 billion annual budget for highways, including $2.9 billion for improvements and $1.7 billion for maintenance and $0.8 billion in transfers to local governments.  Their program funding is greatly improved from when I lived there in the 1970s.

They also annually allocate $2.2 billion to multimodal (transit, rail and aviation) and $1.1 billion to debt service and other agencies.

These were the figures for FY 2016.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:42:23 PM by Beltway »

Roadsguy

• Last Login: November 18, 2017, 11:22:23 AM
« Reply #906 on: November 14, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »

Something weird I noticed in the old Street View in Lancaster, particularly at the old US 222/Lititz Pike railroad bridge that was replaced a few years ago: https://goo.gl/maps/DdmJydPMWaF2

The sign for PA 72 North has a space missing that appears to be for an extra shield. Judging by the position of the "North" heading, it would likely also apply to the mystery route, meaning it's not a "To US 30" or "To PA 283". There's no other north-south routes in that direction, though. Did Fruitville Pike once have a number, or were they planning on giving it one? Or is this just a weird goof by whoever made the sign, which appears to be no more than 25 years old, depending on when exactly PennDOT stopped using button copy, since these signs are newer than that.
After 95revive we need 76fix.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 01:00:44 AM
« Reply #907 on: November 15, 2017, 06:21:58 AM »

Something weird I noticed in the old Street View in Lancaster, particularly at the old US 222/Lititz Pike railroad bridge that was replaced a few years ago: https://goo.gl/maps/DdmJydPMWaF2

The sign for PA 72 North has a space missing that appears to be for an extra shield. Judging by the position of the "North" heading, it would likely also apply to the mystery route, meaning it's not a "To US 30" or "To PA 283". There's no other north-south routes in that direction, though. Did Fruitville Pike once have a number, or were they planning on giving it one? Or is this just a weird goof by whoever made the sign, which appears to be no more than 25 years old, depending on when exactly PennDOT stopped using button copy, since these signs are newer than that.

They could've simply right-justified both the shield and the city, rather than centering the shield.

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: November 16, 2017, 08:14:38 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ekt8750

• Last Login: November 18, 2017, 05:04:13 PM
« Reply #909 on: November 17, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.