News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Personally, I'm glad to see them go.  It would be one thing if they were original button copy, but they are largely 3rd generation button copy, being installed from the mid 1980s to the early 1990s. 

wytout

Quote from: shadyjay on May 16, 2011, 07:36:08 PM
Personally, I'm glad to see them go.  It would be one thing if they were original button copy, but they are largely 3rd generation button copy, being installed from the mid 1980s to the early 1990s. 

Exactly. They are CRAP button copy, on reflective sheeting... as the button copy legend deteriorates, the green field still glows giving this wonderful green square w/ some brownish looking squiggles at night, that is completely and totally UNreadable. 

The button copy in this state is nothing nostalgic, it replaced previous generation button copy, with army green non reflective extruded sign panels that were illuminated with wonderful up lighting that has all but disappeared in the northeast.

The worst abomination in CT signing history came with the generation of signs that are now finally being replaced en-masse
-Chris

relaxok

Quote from: wytout on May 16, 2011, 08:05:17 PM
The worst abomination in CT signing history came with the generation of signs that are now finally being replaced en-masse

I pretty much agree with that - personally, I didn't so much like the old button copy either (though I like uplighting)  But the newer stuff is a real eyesore.  For some reason button copy to me always looks like some top layer of something wore off, showing something underneath you shouldn't be seeing, like production rivets.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about clearview into the future =(

Mergingtraffic

Route 11 Back from the Dead!  Say what you want but it's still better than nothing.
The Governor, DEP and FHWA announced funding for more environmental studies. 

http://www.theday.com/article/20110524/NWS12/305249917
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

relaxok

Quote from: doofy103 on May 24, 2011, 05:12:46 PM
Route 11 Back from the Dead!  Say what you want but it's still better than nothing.

This reminds me of how tired I am of hysterical anti-spending commenters on news stories.  If the proposal doesn't personally affect them positively, they all respond with 'WE'RE BROKE, CAN'T AFFORD IT' - As far as transportation infrastructure goes, you can only take that position for so long until the entire lifeblood of your workforce and economy goes up in smoke (and potholes)..

Not that there aren't wasteful transportation projects, but this 'NO' answer to anything proposed is hardly helpful.

shadyjay

QuoteA previous round of environmental studies that was cut short must be completed before new engineering and funding analysis studies are conducted.
The studies are to begin this summer and will require two and a half years to finish, Malloy said. Another consultant will examine options for funding the full project, such as the installation of temporary toll booths.

More studies...
I'd be surprised at this point if they actually get around to build this thing in my lifetime!

Duke87

I'll believe it when they actually stick a shovel in the ground.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

wytout

Quote from: relaxok on May 24, 2011, 06:06:47 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on May 24, 2011, 05:12:46 PM
Route 11 Back from the Dead!  Say what you want but it's still better than nothing.

This reminds me of how tired I am of hysterical anti-spending commenters on news stories.  If the proposal doesn't personally affect them positively, they all respond with 'WE'RE BROKE, CAN'T AFFORD IT' - As far as transportation infrastructure goes, you can only take that position for so long until the entire lifeblood of your workforce and economy goes up in smoke (and potholes)..

Not that there aren't wasteful transportation projects, but this 'NO' answer to anything proposed is hardly helpful.

I agree.  I am a fairly staunch conservative, but I agree that (intelligent) transportation infrastructure is a key function of governments, and is one thing that money actually SHOULD be spent on... it all boils down to the ability to protect our country, and have a backbone that will allow us to grow and remain a great power in the 21st century.  fed state and local governments have become so expanded and bloated with programs far beyond what was ever expected to be the government's role, that none of the core, necessary functions of government have the funding needed or deserved.

now i ALSO agree with this comment on the article
"Here we go again and again. Million's of dollars for more studies! No wonder nothing gets built in this state. Just build the highway already if your going to do it at all."

Seriously.  Just build it.
Could you imagine if all this red tape existed when the interstate system was being laid out... I miss those days (of course I wasn't even born in those day).  If they had to go through then what they have to go through now to get a road built... I90 would still only be about 10 miles long and the rest of it would be tied up in EIS's.

Build it. Just build it.  We've waited almost 40 years for it, now we'll spend another 5 million on it, and in 2 years it will be shelved again because of some tree huggers and local opposition no doubt.

They should just start the machines and start building, don't even mention it in the news.  If some wacko wants to stand in front of a dozer in protest...well let him or her "become one" with the new road.
-Chris

kurumi

Scene: 8:01 am, May 23, 2011, Connecticut State Capitol, Governor's Office

Gov. MALLOY: Huh. So I guess the rapture didn't happen.

Lt. Gov. WYMAN: So much for running out the clock on that Route 11 thing.

Gov. MALLOY: (sighs) Yeah, OK, let's put together a speech...
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Mergingtraffic

Is this a non-reflective button copy I found here?
The signs in question, iare on the left with the BIG I-91 shield.  It's on CT-40 SB.  The sign on the right is the putrid button copy reflective signs from the late 80s to early 90s.  But the sign on the left is darker and has a huge shield, the same type that has been used on other non-reflective button copy signs.  CT-40 opened in 1976 or so. 
I drove here today and it looks like it, but the only way to tell for sure is to drive at night,

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mt.+carmel,+ct&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.699934,56.162109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Mt+Carmel,+New+Haven,+Connecticut&ll=41.389882,-72.886562&spn=0,0.043774&z=15&layer=c&cbll=41.389976,-72.886579&panoid=YN9ZYkWfsDtJB_lyfqT2ag&cbp=12,160.28,,0,-8.91

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mt.+carmel,+ct&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.699934,56.162109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Mt+Carmel,+New+Haven,+Connecticut&ll=41.382959,-72.884717&spn=0,0.043774&z=15&layer=c&cbll=41.383051,-72.884745&panoid=y9kjfZtxlU2MaYekQxj_mA&cbp=12,157.57,,0,-13.06

Which leads me to this question, it seems like CT faded out original non reflective button copy really fast.  On roads that opened in the 70s, before reflective button copy was used, there are reflective button copy signs posted.  Which would mean they were replaced in the mid 80s to early 90s.  Which means the signs that were replaced were only 10 years old or so. 

Mergingtraffic

Some interesting US6 Expressway news here:

1) THE CRCOG ammended their 2011 Trans Plan and while the US proposed expressway from I-384 to the expressway portion in Willimantic is on life support, it isn't totally dead.  The CRCOG put it in the unfunded needs category, which means it probably wont ever get built, but they didn't cross it off completely.  They are also looking at a corridor study of the area, which probably means curb cut type stuff.
http://www.crcog.org/publications/TransportationDocs/RTP2011/2011ExecSumFINAL.pdf

As you know in the late 90s the DOT and Army COE disagreed on the routing and our lovley John Rowland scrapped funding for the highway in 2000-2001.  Maybe Route 6 can be like Roue 11?

shadyjay

Looks like CDOT is closing ALL interstate rest areas except those found along the I-95 and I-395 portions of the Connecticut Turnpike, and those on the parkways.

Willington rest areas on I-84 will be first to go, starting July 1, with the rest going one year later.  
See press release here:  http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=1373&Q=480274

This is a far cry from a couple of years ago, when a report proposed rebuilding all rest areas and even adding a few new ones on CT 2, CT 9, and on I-91 SB in Enfield.  

The only stand-alone tourist info/rest area that will remain will be the one on I-95 in Westbrook, though that is planned for long term removal as part of a widening project in 2030.  

Alps

Quote from: doofy103 on May 25, 2011, 08:04:38 PM
Is this a non-reflective button copy I found here?
The signs in question, iare on the left with the BIG I-91 shield.  It's on CT-40 SB.  The sign on the right is the putrid button copy reflective signs from the late 80s to early 90s.  But the sign on the left is darker and has a huge shield, the same type that has been used on other non-reflective button copy signs.  CT-40 opened in 1976 or so. 
I drove here today and it looks like it, but the only way to tell for sure is to drive at night,

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mt.+carmel,+ct&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.699934,56.162109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Mt+Carmel,+New+Haven,+Connecticut&ll=41.389882,-72.886562&spn=0,0.043774&z=15&layer=c&cbll=41.389976,-72.886579&panoid=YN9ZYkWfsDtJB_lyfqT2ag&cbp=12,160.28,,0,-8.91

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mt.+carmel,+ct&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=27.699934,56.162109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Mt+Carmel,+New+Haven,+Connecticut&ll=41.382959,-72.884717&spn=0,0.043774&z=15&layer=c&cbll=41.383051,-72.884745&panoid=y9kjfZtxlU2MaYekQxj_mA&cbp=12,157.57,,0,-13.06

Which leads me to this question, it seems like CT faded out original non reflective button copy really fast.  On roads that opened in the 70s, before reflective button copy was used, there are reflective button copy signs posted.  Which would mean they were replaced in the mid 80s to early 90s.  Which means the signs that were replaced were only 10 years old or so. 

Checking my own photos, they're ones that didn't come out too well. I'll have to get some retakes at the New Haven meet. Seems like it, though. There's that one other non-reflective one up in Hartford, but they're really scattered. Keep in mind CT was using button copy on up till nearly the turn of the century, so the signs could have been 25 years old by the time they were replaced. Sign life is generally 10-15 years, theoretically...

Alex

Quote from: shadyjay on June 02, 2011, 04:00:52 PM
Looks like CDOT is closing ALL interstate rest areas except those found along the I-95 and I-395 portions of the Connecticut Turnpike, and those on the parkways.

Willington rest areas on I-84 will be first to go, starting July 1, with the rest going one year later.  
See press release here:  http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=1373&Q=480274

This is a far cry from a couple of years ago, when a report proposed rebuilding all rest areas and even adding a few new ones on CT 2, CT 9, and on I-91 SB in Enfield.  

The only stand-alone tourist info/rest area that will remain will be the one on I-95 in Westbrook, though that is planned for long term removal as part of a widening project in 2030.  

:thumbdown: Another reason to dislike roadding in Connecticut (congestion being the first reason). I don't much care for being forced to venture off the freeway to use the facilities.

Lyle

:angry:
That's terrible. Not only is Connecticut not building the new highways it was supposed to (CT-11, U.S. 7, I-384), but now it is moving backwards!

shadyjay

Quote from: Alex on June 06, 2011, 01:35:47 PM

See press release here:  http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=1373&Q=480274

:thumbdown: Another reason to dislike roadding in Connecticut (congestion being the first reason). I don't much care for being forced to venture off the freeway to use the facilities.

Not just that, but also trying to find tourist information off the highway?  Good luck with that one.  Stop at a gas station perhaps?  Use a dirty nasty old bathroom that may or may not be locked, then asking the clerk for directions or suggestions on things to do in the state?  Ha!
Good luck with that one!

I still can't believe they're even closing [most of the] welcome centers.  The only standalone non-service area facility come next summer will be the one on I-95 in Westbrook.  Shame, CDOT!  Just when you were starting to get your points back by properly aligning your exit tabs.....

agentsteel53

Quote from: shadyjay on June 06, 2011, 03:40:59 PM

Not just that, but also trying to find tourist information off the highway?  Good luck with that one.  Stop at a gas station perhaps?  Use a dirty nasty old bathroom that may or may not be locked, then asking the clerk for directions or suggestions on things to do in the state?  Ha!
Good luck with that one!

that's what the internet is for - a lot of "things to do in the state" can be found out ahead of time, which helps with strategic planning.

the bathroom issue ... well, I wouldn't attempt to use the internet to take care of that.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mergingtraffic

welllll.....the new CT-34 flyover ramp from I-95 NB opened today replacing the nasty left hand exit.  Shouldn't that get extra points? lol

iwishiwascanadian

The Chair of the State's Transportation Committee has said that the plan to close the Rest Areas on 84 and 95 will be scrapped tonight in the General Assembly's last session of the year. 

Mergingtraffic

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Danbury-rest-area-will-remain-open-state-rep-says-1415679.php

Rep Scribner of Brookfield worked with the Trans Comittee to keep the rest areas open.  I like Scribner as I have wrote to him in the past and he was the only one to write back on my transportation solutions/comments.

However, he is against tolling.  That could be dangerous for CT-11, as it seems the state is betting on tolling to get CT-11 finished.  He and others fear tolling will be like the 80s with booths and buckets.  Keep in mind other states have tolls and have been doing so without incident for years but it's different for Ct somehow.  CT hates change. unfortunately.

Mergingtraffic

And the CT-34 exit is now a right hand flyover off of I-95 NB in New Haven.
Click the link and notice the NEW overhead map sign on the left on the article indicating CT-34 is now a right hand exit.  They will have to replace that soon, once I-91 also exits from the right and I-95 will remain 3 lanes.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/06/07/news/new_haven/doc4ded904e5ebaf904396823.txt

Of course most of the reader comments are stupid, ie people wondering where they would put the snow in the winter.  So, does that mean we shouldn't have built it?!  Plow it to the side just like with the state's 5000 other bridges.

Also, some readers brought up good points, the traffic weave now created with Exit 46 on ramp and CT-34 Exit 47 off ramp traffic, just under a 10th of a mile!!  Why couldn't the off ramp start before the Exit 46 on ramp!?!?!  That way, drivers could take local streets to CT-34 if they are getting on from Exit 46.  And, yes the ramp still merges with CT-34 from the left.  I have a feeling, iif this were any other state, those issues would've been taken care of.  It's like it was planned with 80% common sense comared to 100% common sense.

But, it's better than before.

Michael in Philly

Just dropped into this thread to remark that - having driven from Philadelphia to North Attleboro, Mass., today and thus passed through Connecticut for the first time in nearly a decade - I do like a state that hasn't neutered its Interstate markers!

(I'm less happy about having paid $4.139 for regular on the Turnpike in Darien, or about the fact that the state welcome center there is out of maps.  I like maps.  But I should have known gas would be over-priced in Connecticut, and they say they'll have maps next week (I won't be there any time soon to pick one up, but it's nice to know they exist.  And I guess it can be requested on line.)  I'm less happy still about having glanced at the last few posts and seen this bit about closing rest areas.  What the f--- do certain portions of the political spectrum have against basic civilization?)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

iwishiwascanadian

Quote from: Michael in Philly on June 09, 2011, 12:26:20 AM
Just dropped into this thread to remark that - having driven from Philadelphia to North Attleboro, Mass., today and thus passed through Connecticut for the first time in nearly a decade - I do like a state that hasn't neutered its Interstate markers!

(I'm less happy about having paid $4.139 for regular on the Turnpike in Darien, or about the fact that the state welcome center there is out of maps.  I like maps.  But I should have known gas would be over-priced in Connecticut, and they say they'll have maps next week (I won't be there any time soon to pick one up, but it's nice to know they exist.  And I guess it can be requested on line.)  I'm less happy still about having glanced at the last few posts and seen this bit about closing rest areas.  What the f--- do certain portions of the political spectrum have against basic civilization?)

Never get gas at one of the rest stops on 95...you're better off getting off the highway and driving for a mile and a bit...gas is just starting to drop below $4...but then again this is in Hartford County, I'm not so sure about the shore.  Regardless, should you travel into our great state again, don't let the convenience tempt you. 

deathtopumpkins

Re: the new CT 34 flyover's left-hand merge. Does no one else realize that when a new road is beginning from a series of ramps, like CT 34, SOME ramp has to be on the left?

Here's a Google Maps aerial of the ramp under construction for reference: http://goo.gl/maps/4Xaa

If they had moved the ramp from 95 north over to the right side, in addition to taking more room (probably by cantilevering over adjacent Water St.) it would have moved the merge point farther up, thus providing traffic from the other ramps onto CT 34 less room to merge over to the upcoming exits. And, in that case, these same people complaining about the current left entrance would then be complaining about the ramp from 95 south or 91 south entering on the left. When multiple ramps come together, one HAS to be on the left. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

And I'm glad to hear Conn is coming to it's senses about keeping rest areas open.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

connroadgeek

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 09, 2011, 01:25:53 PM
Re: the new CT 34 flyover's left-hand merge. Does no one else realize that when a new road is beginning from a series of ramps, like CT 34, SOME ramp has to be on the left?

Here's a Google Maps aerial of the ramp under construction for reference: http://goo.gl/maps/4Xaa

If they had moved the ramp from 95 north over to the right side, in addition to taking more room (probably by cantilevering over adjacent Water St.) it would have moved the merge point farther up, thus providing traffic from the other ramps onto CT 34 less room to merge over to the upcoming exits. And, in that case, these same people complaining about the current left entrance would then be complaining about the ramp from 95 south or 91 south entering on the left. When multiple ramps come together, one HAS to be on the left. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

And I'm glad to hear Conn is coming to it's senses about keeping rest areas open.

Yeah the whole "we need to get rid of every left exit" mentality is annoying. Highways that begin at the shore like I-91 and CT-34, should begin as a left exit northbound. It just makes sense. It keeps the ramp short, and the curve radius negligible meaning vehicles can maintain high speeds. Now we have a flyover that requires a much sharper curve radius (read: lower speed meaning less cars/hour) and needs to pass over I-95 N/B and S/B instead of just the S/B lanes. Bet the backups at the I-95/91/CT-34 don't go away even with the right hand exits and CDOT will be scratching their heads trying to figure out why that is. CT is notorious for rebuilding major interchanges without adding capacity which is the definition of pointless.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.