News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

outline shields were a federal standard until 1961.  lots of states used them.  it's just that Connecticut abolished them quite late (after, in fact, turning to them in the 70s)

one other state which used them until relatively late is Louisiana.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 04, 2011, 10:01:45 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 03, 2011, 10:15:52 PM
Quote from: NE2 on October 03, 2011, 09:41:00 PM
US 202's purpose seems to have been an inland long-distance alternate to US 1 (like US 62 from northeastern Ohio to Niagara as an alternate to US 20).

indeed; it is a very long route.  to me it seems a pleasant alternative to the hustle and bustle of the US-1 corridor, but I do not know how it was viewed in the 1920s when it was first being laid out.

what is the largest city through which US-202 passes, north of Wilmington?  apart from that curl downwards to intersect I-95, I cannot think of anything major.

I always assumed that an inland alternate to US 1 was its purpose.  But it was probably more pleasant a few decades ago, now that suburbia has reached it in lots of places and it's got its share of hustle and bustle.
I get the feeling 202 just started extending further and further with no real aim. "Oh, look, it sorta connects to Danbury if you just stick it on 10 for awhile, and then all these other routes too. Then it can take over these roads in NY for no real reason."

Michael in Philly

^^Somewhere, I've got a (photocopy from the Library of Congress of) a 1931 road map of the area around Philadelphia (75-mile-radius-type thing so it covers most of New Jersey...).  If memory serves - and it may not - 202 wasn't 202 yet.  I'm certain the Flemington-to-Somerville segment, which is clearly not part of the older road grid of the area, wasn't there yet.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

NE2

202 was originally 122 from Whitehouse, NJ to Wilmington.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mergingtraffic

New signing project on the Milford Connector.  The big news is the exits will now have numbers!   

http://www.biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Documents/Bids/23224/83-253%20Plans%20Portfolio.pdf
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

Makes no sense to number exits on the Milford Parkway (errr... Wasson Connector) and not number exits on the Bradley Connector.

But that's ConnDOT for ya!

wytout

Quote from: shadyjay on October 06, 2011, 07:08:43 PM
Makes no sense to number exits on the Milford Parkway (errr... Wasson Connector) and not number exits on the Bradley Connector.

But that's ConnDOT for ya!

I was just thinking that.  There are enough exits to number them...

Leaving Mileage-Based numbering off the table for now:

EB Exit 2, Route 20 WB, Exit 3 Hamilton Road South, Exit 4 CT 75, Exit 5 Old County Road, and Exits 6A and B  I91 N and S.

WB, Exit 5 Old County Road, Exit 4 CT 75, Exit 3 Hamilton Rd South, Exit 2 Route 20 WB, Exit 1 Hamilton Road North..... then Express way ends at Bradley.
-Chris

kurumi

Quote from: doofy103 on October 06, 2011, 11:42:18 AM
New signing project on the Milford Connector.  The big news is the exits will now have numbers!   

http://www.biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Documents/Bids/23224/83-253%20Plans%20Portfolio.pdf

Are there more signing plans or other docs like this? I tried looking around but directory browse is disabled and the main site doesn't make it obvious where to look.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: kurumi on October 07, 2011, 01:59:32 AMAre there more signing plans or other docs like this? I tried looking around but directory browse is disabled and the main site doesn't make it obvious where to look.

Yes, Kurumi, go under "Doing Business with the DOT" and then look under "CTDOT Bids and RFPs"  and what ever projects are advertised for bids are listed.  They usually include the plans as well, which is where I got the above. 

I wish the DOT would put all of their project plans on the web but that would be a lot of work.

I have asked them for plans on certain big projects such as the future I-84 widening in Waterbury and the CT-9/4/I-84 plans and they always write back and attach the plans with it.  My experiences with them have been great.  I always get detailed answers to my questions too.  You just have to figure out who to ask. 

shadyjay

Quote from: wytout on October 06, 2011, 08:15:30 PM
I was just thinking that.  There are enough exits to number them...

EB Exit 2, Route 20 WB, Exit 3 Hamilton Road South, Exit 4 CT 75, Exit 5 Old County Road, and Exits 6A and B  I91 N and S.

WB, Exit 5 Old County Road, Exit 4 CT 75, Exit 3 Hamilton Rd South, Exit 2 Route 20 WB, Exit 1 Hamilton Road North..... then Express way ends at Bradley.

I would start with Exit 1 being Old County Road, Exit 2 for CT 75, Exit 3 for Hamilton Rd South, Exit 4 for Route 20, and Exit 5 for Hamilton Road North.  I'd also renumber the whole connector as I-191 or I-391.  [And renumber CT 40 as I-991].   

But that's just me..... :)

Alps

A freeway doesn't need exit numbers if it's not a freeway. One exit on top, one in the middle, and a traffic light at the bottom - sounds like a connector to me. No one's going to use these exit numbers, waste of effort. Let's fix the Merritt first!

shadyjay

wytout

Quote from: shadyjay on October 07, 2011, 11:46:07 AM
Quote from: wytout on October 06, 2011, 08:15:30 PM
I was just thinking that.  There are enough exits to number them...

EB Exit 2, Route 20 WB, Exit 3 Hamilton Road South, Exit 4 CT 75, Exit 5 Old County Road, and Exits 6A and B  I91 N and S.

I would start with Exit 1 being Old County Road, Exit 2 for CT 75, Exit 3 for Hamilton Rd South, Exit 4 for Route 20, and Exit 5 for Hamilton Road North.  I'd also renumber the whole connector as I-191 or I-391.  [And renumber CT 40 as I-991].   

But that's just me..... :)

Well I had them numbered as one would normally number and E/W roadway. Exit numbers (and mileage) goes low to high from west to east or south to north, this would be "going against the grain"
-Chris

Duke87

Even more pointless than the exit numbers is the "durr" use of the LEFT exit tab resulting from numbering the terminal splits.

Also interesting to note that ConnDOT considers that large loop at the north end to be part of mainline SR 796, not just a pair of ramps. I'd been wondering about that for a while...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

shadyjay

Quote from: wytout on October 07, 2011, 09:37:07 PM
Well I had them numbered as one would normally number and E/W roadway. Exit numbers (and mileage) goes low to high from west to east or south to north, this would be "going against the grain"

But if we renumber it as I-191 or something like that, then it can be a north/south route.  I don't know - call me crazy but I think the exits should count up from I-91 on that route.  Its alignment is west/northwest and then north past CT 20.  But I'm dreaming here...

Wait till CT is forced to switch to mile-based exits... then the exit numbers would really confuse motorists.  
See also:  US 6 - Willimantic Bypass

Anyone got any pics of the new I-84 signage in the Danbury area? 

wytout

Quote from: shadyjay on October 08, 2011, 09:38:36 AM

Anyone got any pics of the new I-84 signage in the Danbury area? 

Ditto to that! Anyone.  Esp those new Cardinal direction/Reassurance mile markers.  I didn't think CT would ever spring for such "frivolous" signage.
-Chris

shadyjay

Button copy "Phase III" signage remains on the following roadways:

I-84:  Exits 3-11 (currently being replaced), Exits 30-55
I-91:  Exits 21-22 (installed 1989), Exits 29-49 (installed early 1990s)
I-95:  Exits 30-35, Exits 43-50 (Q Bridge work zone), Exits 54-59 (installed 1992-replaced last Phase I signage), Exits 68-70 (installed 1993), Exits 84-93
I-395: Exits 77-100 (entire)(installed mid/late 1980s)
I-291: Exits 1-4 (entire)(installed 1990s)
I-691: Exits 5-9
CT 2:  Exits 3-29
CT 8:  Exits 1-30, Exits 39-(47)
CT 9:  Exits 1-32 (entire)(installed late 1980s)
CT 11: Exits 4-6 (entire)
CT 15: Exits 54-55, Exits (69)-91

And let's not forget those roads which still have non-reflectorized text, non-button copy (Phase II):
I-84:  Exits 23-25A, Exits 58-64  (installed early 1980s in conjunction with I-384 completion to I-84)
CT 25:  from CT 8/25 split, north to end of expressway  (installed early 1980s)

So there are still some long sections of button copy out there.  In ConnDOT's long range transportation plan, I've seen notes for replacement of signage on I-395 and on I-95 from Exits 84-93.  However, we can also expect to see I-95 Exits 34-36 and Exits 45-50 be replaced within the next 3-5 years due to the Moses Wheeler and Q Bridge replacement projects, hopefully with the new signs to extend west to Exit 30 and west to Exit 43, closing in the gaps. 

Mergingtraffic

I went on I-84 through Danbury today and the new Exit 2 WB ramp is completed and the new aux lane on I-84 EB is almost done between exits 1 & 2. 

New signage going up fast, by Exit 7 on I-84 WB, see my post from last week.

Question about non-reflectorized button copy.  On CT-8 SB there is that type of signage for Exits 25 and 24.  But NB it's all late 1980s reflectorized button copy.  That section opened up in 1982 or so, does that mean they replaced the northbound signage only 5-10 years after it opened!?!

On I-95 NB, signage that went up about 10 years ago with the Bridgeport widening project and by Exit 42 that went up in 2008 is hardly reflectorized anymore.  In Bridgeport there is a 2002 sign next to a newer 2010 sign and the difference is night and day with the reflectiveness.

Mergingtraffic

CTDOT has non relectorized button copy up until 1980 or so with shields.

In the early 80s they flirted with reflectorized NON button copy with sheilds.

In the mid 1980s CTDOT went back to button copy with reflectorized background this time and outline shields. It last until the mid 1990s.

Mid 1990s until today letter that are nailed on (not sure of the correct name of it)

EXIT TABS:

Centered/non bordered until 2008.

Alligned/non bordered in 2008-2009.

Alligned with bordered 2010-present.

Only a few non relectorized button copy signs left:

CT-8 SB Exits 25 and 24
I-84 C/D road EB at Exit 23 just before CT-69. 
Also on CT-69 itself SB before I-84 EB onramp.
I-84 WB Exit 25 1/2 mile sign and the Exit 23 3/4 Mile sign.
CT-8 Exit 14 NB on ramps at CT-110.

wytout

Speaking of bordered exit tabs (OR SIGN CROWNS as Conndot engineering likes to call them.  I was reading project specs for Milfor Connector Signing project.  The Engineers specs state the following.  Signs On all New sign supports, Crowns shall have a border.  Signs placed on existing sign supports shall have no border.

Uhmm... really?!?!  Are they going to DELIBERATELY mix bordered tabs and NON-bordered tabs based on whether or not the support is being replaced or reused.  Do the engineers totally disregard the aesthetic bonus of consistency?!  

I DID notice that the engineering drawings for the project show the use of the newly adopted "LEFT" over "EXIT XX" sign tabs, w/ the left being black on yellow plaque on the sign tab which isabout 4 feet in height.

FULL project specifications here: http://www.biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Documents/Bids/23224/83-253%20Specifications.pdf
- PAGE 169  of 447 Spec sheet showing Appurtenances for Exit Crowns for new supports and for use on existing supports.
-Chris

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: wytout on October 09, 2011, 05:08:33 PM
Speaking of bordered exit tabs (OR SIGN CROWNS as Conndot engineering likes to call them.  I was reading project specs for Milfor Connector Signing project.  The Engineers specs state the following.  Signs On all New sign supports, Crowns shall have a border.  Signs placed on existing sign supports shall have no border.

With the I-84 signing project in Danbury some new BGS signs have gone on existing sign supports (gantries) and they all have borders.  Why isn't the DOT consistant?  

I noticed on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy, on ramps with no merge space have stop signs but the same type of ramps on CT-8 have yield signs.  Another inconsistancy.

ON a side note:
The US 7 south of Danbury widening is complete.  No reason that a divider wasn't installed there.  Even though the speed limit is 45, people go 65 through there.  I think the barrier was taken out b/c NIMBYs would think the plan is too expressway like and didn't want it.  It's only a matter of time before there are serious crashes there.  (The same with the new CT-66 in Middlefield)

Mergingtraffic

relaxok

Quote from: Duke87 on October 04, 2011, 07:48:20 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 03, 2011, 10:15:52 PM
what is the largest city through which US-202 passes, north of Wilmington?

Cities with a population greater than 30k along US 202:
Danbury, CT (80,893)
Wilmington, DE (70,851)
Wayne, NJ (53,918)
Concord, NH (42,695)
Lewiston, ME (41,592)
Holyoke, MA (39,880)
Torrington, CT (35,995)
Bangor, ME (35,473)
Norristown, PA (34,324)

At least some of those were major manufacturing centers in the early 20th century.   They were probably higher up in the list of population centers at the time.

wytout

Pavement preservation project north of exit 37 on I 91 in CT is yielding something new.  A new way of marking the buffer zone between regular travel lanes and the separate HOV Lane on the inside.  Per the 2011 Standard engineering drawings avail on conndot's website  (...AND in keeping w/ the current MUTCD), the new markings are 2 sets of double white lines parallel to the travel lane.  one set to the left of the left side travel lane and one set to the right of the hov lane, with white cheverons in the buffer area every 200 feet.  

The old way was a single yellow line to the left of the travel lanes as with the inside lane on any divided highway, and a white stripe to the right of the hov lane with yellow chevrons in the buffer zone.  i.e. (FORGIVE MY AWESOME MS PAINT SKILLS)

-Chris

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: wytout on October 25, 2011, 08:54:45 PM
Pavement preservation project north of exit 37 on I 91 in CT is yielding something new.  A new way of marking the buffer zone between regular travel lanes and the separate HOV Lane on the inside.  Per the 2011 Standard engineering drawings avail on conndot's website  (...AND in keeping w/ the current MUTCD), the new markings are 2 sets of double white lines parallel to the travel lane.  one set to the left of the left side travel lane and one set to the right of the hov lane, with white cheverons in the buffer area every 200 feet. 

The old way was a single yellow line to the left of the travel lanes as with the inside lane on any divided highway, and a white stripe to the right of the hov lane with yellow chevrons in the buffer zone.  i.e. (FORGIVE MY AWESOME MS PAINT SKILLS)

The same on CT-8, just got doing a repaving project there also and the new markings have the "guide dots" crossing the exit ramps (which CTDOT has been doing for a couple years now) and now they have the guide dots for the on-ramps.  It helps b/c you know exactly how the on-ramp lane is merging into the mainline.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.