News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NY 135 to I-287 Redesignation?

Started by TML, February 28, 2018, 12:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Getting back to the original subject, does anyone think the proposed tunnel will ever be constructed? I have my doubts, and even if it is, I believe it is far more likely that the NY 135 designation would be extended than the Interstate 287 designation being extended along the length of the tunnel. I think the 287 designation along NY 135 ship sailed when the bridge and the rest of the surface expressway was canceled in 1973.

Beltway

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 07, 2018, 04:21:52 PM
Getting back to the original subject, does anyone think the proposed tunnel will ever be constructed? I have my doubts, and even if it is, I believe it is far more likely that the NY 135 designation would be extended then the Interstate 287 designation being extended along the length of the tunnel. I think the 287 designation along NY 135 ship sailed when the bridge and the rest of the surface expressway was canceled in 1973.

Sounds like the crossing itself is feasible, but that the northern and southern land approaches would encounter serious local opposition no matter where they were routed.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

Quote from: Beltway on March 07, 2018, 03:48:56 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2018, 12:54:32 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 06, 2018, 11:35:06 PM
[... snipped ...]
Were you in a pension system in PA? How did that transfer over to VA, if at all?

They have a civil service system that is modeled after the federal system.  All state civil service employees were enrolled in the retirement system, the same SERS that they have today, the Pennsylvania State Employees' Retirement System.

I didn't check about how to transfer it, as I wanted the money cash-out, I was young (24) and that is what I wanted to do.  I bought a 3-year-old Chevy Nova with it a year later, as the former car was wearing out.

The Virginia Retirement System (VRS) has a provision to purchase former government (federal, state or local) service time up to 48 months, and in the late 2000s I did that, it was the same pre-tax 5% monthly deduction rate that is used for the pension itself, every month for the 35 months.  Great investment!
Ah, okay.  At one point, I was considered for a position at Minnesota DOT and the years of service was the issue.  Sort of feel shackled sometimes.  It is a trade-off:  Retirement secured, but interstate mobility is trickier.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2018, 07:22:26 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 07, 2018, 03:48:56 PM
The Virginia Retirement System (VRS) has a provision to purchase former government (federal, state or local) service time up to 48 months, and in the late 2000s I did that, it was the same pre-tax 5% monthly deduction rate that is used for the pension itself, every month for the 35 months.  Great investment!
Ah, okay.  At one point, I was considered for a position at Minnesota DOT and the years of service was the issue.  Sort of feel shackled sometimes.  It is a trade-off:  Retirement secured, but interstate mobility is trickier.

That varies from employer to employer as to whether you can "buy into" their retirement system, and what the rules are.  If someone has reached the full pension point (50/30 in the case of VRS), then they could leave that money there and then draw the pension from that sometime in the future such as at age 62 when they could draw social security also; and treat their new employment as a separate entity with regards to retirement funding. 

With VRS the multiplier factor continues to add up year by year, so someone who stays there say 40 or 45 years will see a much bigger benefit.  Quite a few people do, we have had some go over 50 years.

Most defined benefit retirement systems work that way.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.