News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 30, 2018, 12:53:26 AM

These new signs replaced these, now unambiguously indicating the left lane as left-turn-only, previously indicated only by striping without signage.
IMHO, the old BGS for US 30 eastbound could've remained and the previous BGS for could've just had its lower NEXT LEFT message replaced with a yellow EXIT ONLY banner (with downward arrow).  Either that or the new signs could've been made larger.  The new signs alongside the empty posts makes such look like a temporary measure/condition.  Is that true?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MASTERNC

Another shot of the more clear left turn lane, showing the FYA as well. They're popping up more and more around Pennsylvania.

Seems to be district by district.  I have not heard of any popping up in the Pittsburgh area, nor have I seen any with new signals or upgrades around Philly (other than the one installed with a new signal in Chester County related to a bridge detour).

jemacedo9

I-83 widening east (North) of Harrisburg (I-81 southward to existing 6-lane section north of I-283) has begun...

https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-8/pages/details.aspx?newsid=808

Roadsguy

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 30, 2018, 09:29:34 AM

Another shot of the more clear left turn lane, showing the FYA as well. They're popping up more and more around Pennsylvania.

Seems to be district by district.  I have not heard of any popping up in the Pittsburgh area, nor have I seen any with new signals or upgrades around Philly (other than the one installed with a new signal in Chester County related to a bridge detour).

Makes sense; this is the fourth one I know of in District 8.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

empirestate

Quote from: Hoar_Frost on August 27, 2018, 11:30:01 AM
Hey!  I just joined this forum.  I lived in Pennsylvania (in State College) from 2012 to 2016 but now live in Florida.  When I lived there, I noticed that signs marking township/borough/city/county boundaries, rivers, and lakes are white with blue lettering instead of the green with white lettering like are seen in every other state.  Does anybody know the reason for or history behind that?   

Don't know if there's a reason, other than they had to pick out some color scheme or other, so they chose blue on white.

Flyer78

Delco got one recently,  PA352/New Middletown Rd at Knowlton Rd... have heard some may make appearances soon on US1 at various locations,  but not yet final. 

MASTERNC

Quote from: Flyer78 on August 30, 2018, 11:10:39 PM

Delco got one recently,  PA352/New Middletown Rd at Knowlton Rd... have heard some may make appearances soon on US1 at various locations,  but not yet final. 

Interesting.  There have been a few new light installations with dedicated turn lanes in Montgomery & Delaware counties I've seen - all use the doghouse where an FYA would have worked.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 31, 2018, 12:50:51 PM
Quote from: Flyer78 on August 30, 2018, 11:10:39 PM

Interesting.  There have been a few new light installations with dedicated turn lanes in Montgomery & Delaware counties I've seen - all use the doghouse where an FYA would have worked.

And they just removed a Doghouse over here along McKnight Road where it should've stayed and replaced it with a dedicated turn lane signal where the delays now are super annoying due to a super short turn lane bay.

ARMOURERERIC

Which intersection on McKnight

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 01, 2018, 10:03:09 AM
Which intersection on McKnight

Pine Creek.  It's the last one before McKnight merges into US-19 (Perry Highway).  It was the only doghouse on McKnight (not counting the sometime straight/left lane one @ Ross Park Mall going SB).  It was also the only movement along McKnight that allowed a turn whenever it was clear due to large gaps sometimes of no traffic coming off of Perry Highway SB.  If anywhere on McKnight a FYA would have worked, it would have been here & at Arcadia Drive to the south.

Beltway

The intersection of US-6 and US-219 at Lantz Corners.

Why are there 4-way stop signs there?

That seems to be a "poor man's traffic signal", and all it does is cause driver delay and frustration.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PAHighways

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 30, 2018, 09:29:34 AMSeems to be district by district.  I have not heard of any popping up in the Pittsburgh area, nor have I seen any with new signals or upgrades around Philly (other than the one installed with a new signal in Chester County related to a bridge detour).

The closest one to Pittsburgh that I have found, so far, is on PA 286 at the US 422 interchange outside Indiana.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Beltway on September 03, 2018, 02:32:41 PM
The intersection of US-6 and US-219 at Lantz Corners.

Why are there 4-way stop signs there?

That seems to be a "poor man's traffic signal", and all it does is cause driver delay and frustration.

Expect a lot of changes probably. Traffic in that area gets higher and higher thanks to the Kinzua Viaduct. They are opening a Sheetz at the intersection, among other things
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Roadsguy

I still haven't seen any diagrams of the plan for the I-283/PA 283 interchange near Harrisburg, but it seems they're smoothing out the WB-NB ramp and widening it to two lanes. So far this seems to be the only new permanent sign installed:

They did a good job with it. PennDOT's newer signs look a whole lot better when they're not Clearview. :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 10, 2018, 11:44:45 AM
I still haven't seen any diagrams of the plan for the I-283/PA 283 interchange near Harrisburg, but it seems they're smoothing out the WB-NB ramp and widening it to two lanes. So far this seems to be the only new permanent sign installed:

They did a good job with it. PennDOT's newer signs look a whole lot better when they're not Clearview. :P
Amen to that. :thumbsup:  Looks like there will eventually be a pair of yellow flashing signals (note the square cut-outs) for that PA 283 BGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 10, 2018, 11:44:45 AM

Holy crap, why did I feel sudden satisfaction when seeing this sign?  What is wrong with me?  :-D
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

briantroutman

I should probably take more photos when I'm out and about... I have been through this interchange numerous times in the past few months (including yesterday afternoon), and this assembly has been in place since around the beginning of the summer, if I recall correctly.

Yes, the sign looks good...my only gripe is the undersized arrow on the exit panel. But otherwise, it's nearly textbook-perfect.

I've not seen any diagrams of the interchange re-configuration either, but I'm a bit disappointed that they seem to be minimal improvements to ease flow slightly rather than a complete rebuild to make 283-283 a through movement. I do realize, though, that the Commonwealth has far greater transportation priorities and limited funds, so this scaled down project is certainly better than nothing. I seem to recall reading something on a press release or elsewhere about "eliminating the weave" , so perhaps they're removing the PA 283 WB to PA Turnpike loop and adding a signalized left turn for Turnpike-bound traffic.

Update: Yes, that's precisely what's happening. Here's an excerpt from a PennDOT press release:
QuoteA new traffic signal will be installed at the west end of the bridge that carries Route 283 over the I-283 connection with the Pennsylvania Turnpike and a new ramp will be built from the location of the traffic signal to the entrance of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. After the new traffic signal and new ramp are completed, the existing loop ramp in the interchange from westbound Route 283 to southbound I-283 will be removed.

Roadsguy

Quote from: briantroutman on September 10, 2018, 12:06:33 PM
I should probably take more photos when I'm out and about... I have been through this interchange numerous times in the past few months (including yesterday afternoon), and this assembly has been in place since around the beginning of the summer, if I recall correctly.

Yes, the sign looks good...my only gripe is the undersized arrow on the exit panel. But otherwise, it's nearly textbook-perfect.

I've not seen any diagrams of the interchange re-configuration either, but I'm a bit disappointed that they seem to be minimal improvements to ease flow slightly rather than a complete rebuild to make 283-283 a through movement. I do realize, though, that the Commonwealth has far greater transportation priorities and limited funds, so this scaled down project is certainly better than nothing. I seem to recall reading something on a press release or elsewhere about "eliminating the weave" , so perhaps they're removing the PA 283 WB to PA Turnpike loop and adding a signalized left turn for Turnpike-bound traffic.

Update: Yes, that's precisely what's happening. Here's an excerpt from a PennDOT press release:
QuoteA new traffic signal will be installed at the west end of the bridge that carries Route 283 over the I-283 connection with the Pennsylvania Turnpike and a new ramp will be built from the location of the traffic signal to the entrance of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. After the new traffic signal and new ramp are completed, the existing loop ramp in the interchange from westbound Route 283 to southbound I-283 will be removed.

I hope it'll be a double left turn. They should've learned their lesson from the northbound backups in the left lane on US 15 approaching PA 581.

At least with minimal improvements, it's less of a waste when they eventually come back and fully redo it like I believe they still want to do at the York Split. This doesn't fall under the I-83 Master Plan, though, so I doubt it...

Gnutella

I think PennDOT and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission should start using purple more often. On the two brand-new signs above, I'd like to see a purple field across the top of the entire left sign with the word 'TOLL' in it, and the 'LAST EXIT BEFORE TOLL' field across the top of the right sign changed from yellow to purple.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Gnutella on September 18, 2018, 10:41:30 AM
I think PennDOT and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission should start using purple more often. On the two brand-new signs above, I'd like to see a purple field across the top of the entire left sign with the word 'TOLL' in it, and the 'LAST EXIT BEFORE TOLL' field across the top of the right sign changed from yellow to purple.
IIRC, purple signs (or portions thereof) are only used for either E-ZPass (or equivalent) lanes and/or an E-ZPass Only/AET scenario/set-up.  Most of the PA Turnpike still has cash lanes & booths.

That said, the above-BGS with just the yellow TOLL banner is 100% appropriate for that location & application.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

That's an absolutely incorrect use of the color purple.

tckma

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2018, 11:14:58 AM
IIRC, purple signs (or portions thereof) are only used for either E-ZPass (or equivalent) lanes and/or an E-ZPass Only/AET scenario/set-up.  Most of the PA Turnpike still has cash lanes & booths.

That said, the above-BGS with just the yellow TOLL banner is 100% appropriate for that location & application.

But is "A TOLL ROAD" MUTCD-compliant phraseology?  (I love love LOVE New Hampshire; their DOT's usage of "A TOLL ROAD" instead of just "TOLL ROAD" is a personal pet peeve.)

PHLBOS

Quote from: tckma on September 18, 2018, 04:13:09 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on September 18, 2018, 11:14:58 AM

But is "A TOLL ROAD" MUTCD-compliant phraseology?  (I love love LOVE New Hampshire; their DOT's usage of "A TOLL ROAD" instead of just "TOLL ROAD" is a personal pet peeve.)
I couldn't find anything in the latest (2009) MUTCD regarding the use of yellow TOLL ROAD or A TOLL ROAD banners; just simply yellow TOLL banners and that's about it.  So, the inclusion of A and ROAD in the TOLL isn't necessarily prohibited by MUTCD per say.

That said, let's try to keep this thread PA-focused.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

One more thing before we get back to this thread's intended focus...

Quote from: tckma on September 18, 2018, 04:13:09 PMBut is "url=https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1687807,-71.533777,3a,51y,70.01h,93.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA9cgYYhGkF3Hpl97aAoY5g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656]A TOLL ROAD[/url]" MUTCD-compliant phraseology?  (I love love LOVE New Hampshire; their DOT's usage of "A TOLL ROAD" instead of just "TOLL ROAD" is a personal pet peeve.)

"A TOLL ROAD"?  I don't find it a peeve (or a mortal sin), just cute signage (and worth a chuckle).  That said, even I don't find the "A" necessary to get the message across.

OK, back to PA road projects other than the I-95-ization of the Turnpike.  How's the dualization of U.S. 322 (the Conchester) in Delco coming along?  When will the first segment be completed?
ixnay

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.