News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Car Damage from Projectiles

Started by DaBigE, February 23, 2018, 01:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Rocks from a truck were shot and actually punctured two holes on the lower skirt of my front bumper. No damage to critical systems, but it looks like I got shot at
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on February 27, 2018, 01:51:32 PM
Rocks from a truck were shot and actually punctured two holes on the lower skirt of my front bumper. No damage to critical systems, but it looks like I got shot at

Let me guess, I-55 near IL-126?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on February 27, 2018, 02:49:35 PM

How did you know???  :-o  :sombrero:

Clinched:

seicer

Ran over an aluminium ladder on I-99 north of the Turnpike a few months back - in a snowstorm. It surprisingly did not do any damage to my tires or undersides.

inkyatari

Quote from: ET21 on February 28, 2018, 12:03:37 PM

Not really a hard thing to guess...
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

inkyatari

Has anyone ever had someone throw a cancer stick out their window, the remains of their trash enter your car through an open window, and actually burn your upholstery?  I've heard of this happening, but it's never happened to me.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

I've only lost three windshields to that section of I-55.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

I've had a few bird strikes causing body damage to my vehicles, including a ph*cking pheasant walking across a US highway in eastern Nebraska ($1000 in front end damage), and a disoriented old crow on US 12 in Idaho causing a $600 dent in my truck's hood.

Small rocks coming out of nowhere damaged my car's glass, including a windshield ding in Saskatchewan that grew into a top-to-bottom crack forcing me to get the windshield replaced, and on Prince Edward Island a rock or something shattering my driver's side rear window. The folks on PEI speculated that someone's mower kicked up a rock. They were properly appalled at my explanation that, where I come from, when a car window shatters your instinctive response is to not hang around to investigate (could be someone shooting at you), but rather to keep driving to a safe place.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on March 01, 2018, 11:35:08 AM

I've only lost three windshields to that section of I-55.

I thought you were mentioning the other talk in IL Notes about this, but yeah I can understand. We always get calls from truck drivers that they have to slow down in this section because of how bad it is and that they don'rt damage the tractors

Clinched:

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on March 01, 2018, 09:34:16 AM
Has anyone ever had someone throw a cancer stick out their window, the remains of their trash enter your car through an open window, and actually burn your upholstery?  I've heard of this happening, but it's never happened to me.

I used to throw a lot of lit cigarette butts out of my window when I smoked, and I think it would be impossible for it to fly out of your car and into someone else's car, let alone fly out of your car and into someone else's car without having gone out first.  I don't even think the scenario from Planes Trains and Automobiles, where John Candy throws his out the window and it flies back into the car and sets the rear upholstery on fire, would even be possible.

sparker

My late dad was particularly cursed by this problem; it seemed that every time he got a new car, he'd have a big pit or crack in his windshield within a week or two.  This happened with his last two Chrysler New Yorkers in '86 and '91; the first one got pitted on Biz 80 (CA 51) north of Sacramento (he was living in Roseville at the time), while the second happened on CA 99 in Bakersfield on an L.A. trip.  The first was from a piece of machinery on a flatbed that shed a large metal nut; he actually got the trucking company to compensate him; the second was from a large hunk of gravel; that he had to eat himself, as he wasn't able to get a plate or truck number and the windshield replacement was below his deductible.   

GenExpwy

Quote from: inkyatari on March 01, 2018, 09:34:16 AM

That's one of the theories of the cause of the 1999 Mont Blanc Tunnel fire.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.