Shows That could have been Faves if the network did not cancel them

Started by roadman65, November 17, 2018, 12:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I am talking about short lived series that did not make it to the end or even half way through a season.

Mine I loved The Law and Harry McGraw starring Jerry Orbach (Len Briscoe Law & Order) and Barbara Babcock.  The show was on in 1987 and like usual when CBS pulls the plug on a show instead of being open about it, they air specials in its place or even sporting events making the episodes only shown once a month.  This way  that viewers can forget about the program and when the few episodes that aired do come on, the nielsons become so bad that the cancellation is a must.  That was with this series as the episodes became shown less and less and then CBS yanks it from the programming.

It was a detective show based on a character from Murder She Wrote who often solved cases for an attorney in which both the detective and lawyer both had a love to hate relationship.  Orbach was Harry McGraw an unethical detective while Babcock was Ellie McGuiness a proper attorney who hated McGraws methods of finding information in which the two found conflict with each other.

Then there was Aaron's Way on NBC in the mid 80's.  NBC had it for part of a season.

What were some of yours.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bandit957

In the early '80s, there was a sitcom called 'Maggie' that my mom just hated hated hated hated hated. It lasted about 3 episodes, but I don't know if it would have been a big hit if it had lasted longer. I was sorry to see it canceled, because I thought it was so funny how much my mom hated this show.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Also, the only thing I remember about the sitcom 'Maggie' is that there was a particularly gruesome scene where one of the characters got punched in the face and bled everywhere.

abefroman329

Life on Mars (US), Party Down. Maybe Vinyl, though I found the anti-hero main character really hard to stomach.

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on November 17, 2018, 04:00:32 PM
Also, the only thing I remember about the sitcom 'Maggie' is that there was a particularly gruesome scene where one of the characters got punched in the face and bled everywhere.

I JUST FOUND THIS SCENE ON YOUTUBE AFTER 37 YEARS!!!!!

One of the bratty kids on the show got hit with a baseball bat and his teeth got knocked out!

US 81

wanderer2575

Police Squad!  (In color!)

Quote from: bandit957 on November 17, 2018, 03:57:35 PM
In the early '80s, there was a sitcom called 'Maggie' that my mom just hated hated hated hated hated. It lasted about 3 episodes, but I don't know if it would have been a big hit if it had lasted longer. I was sorry to see it canceled, because I thought it was so funny how much my mom hated this show.

It was based on humorist Erma Bombeck's books, just as the later "Dave's World" was based on humorist Dave Barry's books.

HazMatt

There was one in the late 90s called the Brian Benben show, that was cancelled 3-4 episodes in.  My mom hated it but I thought it was pretty funny.

froggie

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

abefroman329

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 18, 2018, 10:03:41 AM
Police Squad!  (In color!)

Quote from: bandit957 on November 17, 2018, 03:57:35 PM

It was based on humorist Erma Bombeck's books, just as the later "Dave's World" was based on humorist Dave Barry's books.
Police Squad was a) years ahead of its time and b) a really hard concept to maintain over a single television season, let alone several. There's a reason the Naked Gun movies came out once every several years and the quality diminished over time.

Erma Bombeck also had a television series based on Just Wait Until Your Father Gets Home, animated by Bil Keane.

abefroman329

Quote from: HazMatt on November 18, 2018, 10:18:44 AM
There was one in the late 90s called the Brian Benben show, that was cancelled 3-4 episodes in.  My mom hated it but I thought it was pretty funny.
I remember it, it was awful.

Throckmorton

Frank's Place, 1987-88. Tim Reid and an ensemble cast.   

It did run an entire season but was not renewed. It should have been.   

The one about the homeless guy was a real hoot.   

Proceed with caution

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Henry

As a native Chicagoan, I would say Superior Donuts. I wish they'd add a third season to see what would become of a stellar cast that included the always brilliant veterans Katey Sagal and Judd Hirsch.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

HazMatt

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 18, 2018, 07:29:46 PM
Quote from: HazMatt on November 18, 2018, 10:18:44 AM
I remember it, it was awful.

May have been, I'm sure teenage me had terrible tastes.

BamaZeus

hbelkins

Wasn't there a third spinoff of Law & Order that didn't last? I think it may have been called "Trial By Jury."

Not quite fitting the OP's criteria, but it's hard to believe that as big of a franchise as "Star Trek" became, the series only lasted three seasons.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2018, 12:47:38 PM
Wasn't there a third spinoff of Law & Order that didn't last? I think it may have been called "Trial By Jury."
Yep. It was notable for the last appearance of Briscoe. Also its arrangement of the Law & Order theme was reused for the later seasons of Criminal Intent.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 17, 2018, 04:19:47 PMLife on Mars (US)
I know the US series, post-cancellation-announcement had a terrible ending, however the UK series' sequel had likewise with the finale. It aired a couple of days before Lost's infamously terrible finale, though I watched it pretty much straight after to try and get over the terribleness of Lost - it was a show I enjoyed more, but cared less about the theory stuff and wasn't what people were talking about, and it hurt in that same way, but more so. That same, crippling, "Well everything that's gone before, that I enjoyed so much, has been turned into ash. Thanks for wasting so much of my time - it was great until I saw this, now it's annoying and unpleasant" feeling.

Quote from: US 81 on November 18, 2018, 08:43:24 AMFirefly.
That's surely a 'fav because the network cancelled it'. It might have lasted a full season before hitting a sophomoric slump, but it would have got there as fatigue kicked in in the writer's room (I really don't think US TV schedules are conducive - sure some can pull it off - but there's a reason HBO, Netflix, etc go with 10-13 episodes a year max). The supplementary stuff (including the Big Damn Movie) is great, but part of that is because there was the time to craft it properly.

Brandon

Quote from: Takumi on November 19, 2018, 12:56:27 PM
Yep. It was notable for the last appearance of Briscoe. Also its arrangement of the Law & Order theme was reused for the later seasons of Criminal Intent.

Well, the death of Jerry Orbach (playing Lenny Briscoe) might have had a little to do with it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

abefroman329

Not quite fitting the OP's criteria, but it's hard to believe that as big of a franchise as "Star Trek" became, the series only lasted three seasons.
There was also a spinoff called Law and Order: UK that lasted a lot longer than it should have. Particularly since, as I understand it, the scripts paid no attention to the substantial difference between UK and US criminal justice systems.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.