News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How do YOU road trip?

Started by Laura, March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

How many day trips do you venture on per month? per year? 
I'll go for an all day excursion a couple of times a month.  I'll also take partial day trips when I can, so that is usually a few times a month there.

How many overnight trips do you venture on per month? per year? 
For the purposes of taking a road trip, I'd venture about 10 times a year.  I am not counting trips to visit family or friends who are not involved with our hobby, but of course, I'll combine some extracurricular road tripping on the way there or back.

When you go overnight, do you usually stay in a hotel, sleep in your vehicle, or stay elsewhere?
I stay with friends or family when possible, because it gives me a good opportunity to catch up with friends or family.  When that is not an option, I find I stay at a hotel.  I don't break the budget when that happens, but I'll also check Yelp or TripAdvisor when possible so I can find a clean room at a decent price.  I rarely sleep in my vehicle anymore, only to take a nap at a tail end of a trip when it's a late night and I'm only a couple of hours from home.

For long distance trips, how long do you go?
It can range anywhere from a few days to a week and a half.

Do you use paid vacation time for your long distance trips?
Depends on the circumstance.  Some of my three day trips I try to schedule during a holiday weekend so I can maximize my time off and maximize my mileage.  A week long trip will always involve some form of using vacation time.

Are your long distance trips usually circular or do you fly somewhere and rent a car?
Usually circular, although I do fly a few times a year.  Since I live in New York, I will almost always fly if I am visiting the West.  There's also occasions for long distance trips that I rent a car when the trip involves no flying, as to give my car a break and not put so many miles on my own vehicle.

Have you ever driven all the way across the USA?
Yes.  I went cross country once growing up, going from New York to Oregon, but I was a passenger then as I did not have a driver's license.  A couple of years back, I flew out to Salt Lake City and drove back to Upstate New York.  Later this year, I am planning to drive from New York to Oregon and fly back.

How often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?  I used to be in the practice of going to a grocery store as opposed to grabbing fast food or having a sit down meal.  Going to the grocery store on most of these trips is a habit I should get back into, since it's generally healthier.  Having a sit down meal at the end of the day is a nice way to cap off the day, though.

When you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)?  I tend to work roads around a main attraction.  As fascinating as roads, bridges and signs are, roads take me to places I want to go, like waterfalls, hiking, historical attractions, cities, national or state parks, etc.

How often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)?  I try to fit in at least one site to stop at each day, more if I can help it.  Sometimes it may involve checking out a lighthouse for a few minutes, spending an hour at a historical home or spending most of the day at a national park.

froggie

Replying to Laura's questions one at a time...

QuoteHow many day trips do you venture on per month? per year?

Highly variable, even factoring out deployments of recent years.  I've often had months where the answer was zero, and other months where I had several.  My average would probably be around 2/month.

QuoteHow many overnight trips do you venture on per month? per year?

Definitely less than 1 a month.  In the past few years, my overnight trips have basically been limited to Raleigh, DC, or Vermont.  I haven't been west of the Appalachians since mid-2011.

QuoteWhen you go overnight, do you usually stay in a hotel, sleep in your vehicle, or stay elsewhere?

Depends on the circumstance.  I'll either stay with family/friends or stay in a hotel....on a military base if possible.

QuoteFor long distance trips, how long do you go?

Highly variable, depending on the situation.  But almost always less than 2 weeks.

QuoteDo you use paid vacation time for your long distance trips?

The military-equivalent, yes.  Any trip more than a weekend overnight to Raleigh or DC requires me to take leave.

QuoteAre your long distance trips usually circular or do you fly somewhere and rent a car?

Almost always circular.

QuoteHave you ever driven all the way across the USA?

No.  I did about 3/4 of it back during my 2005 vacation/duty-station-transfer, but not all the way across.

QuoteHow often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?

Occasionally I'll pack snacks.  Otherwise, I rely on convenience stores/fast food.  Almost never do sit-down unless I have passengers or I'm the passenger.

QuoteWhen you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)?

For daytrips, the roads are usually the main attraction.  For overnight/multi-day trips, whatever's at the other end is the primary motivator (whether it be running/biking/racing in Raleigh, DC events, or my Megs).

QuoteHow often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)?

Going solo, I typically don't, unless there's an antique store or old bookstore that happens to catch my eye (and, BTW, I collect more than just maps).

jeffandnicole

To answer the questions you asked (and didn't ask) (the long versions, nonetheless) in no particular order...

Most of my roadtripping adventures are over the course of several days, up to about 1 ½ weeks. And some of them are due to the fact my wife doesn't like to fly...although we have flown several times over the past several years.  And for a point of reference to the below, I live in South Jersey, just outside of Philly.

Of my longest, 2 of them involve New Orleans (not during Mardi Gras...btw, Happy Mardi Gras to those of you that celebrate it). :-)  A few of them involve sporting events as well.

The first was 9 months after Katrina...I wanted to go down there and see the area.  Then I also wanted to visit my Cousin...in Toronto.  I figured...what the heck, I can do both.  My 2nd trip to NOLA was for the Jaycees annual conference. That one was a bit more direct, although it included a stop in Atlanta to catch a Phillies game.

My longest road trip was last summer, to catch the Phillies in Milwaukee, Minneapolis & Denver. Over 4,000 miles long. This was also the furthest across-country trip I drove originating from home.

My longest road trip that involved flying was our first trip to Vegas.  From Vegas, we drove to the Grand Canyon (both North & South Rims), San Diego, LA, then back to Vegas.  The trip also included a separate day trip mentioned below.

Of my day trips, the longest occurred in Vegas, as hinted above.  Drove around Death Valley in a rented Jeep Wrangler.  I put about 540 miles on that jeep in 1 day. We've done several day trips that are 100+ miles originating from Vegas as well.  Hawaii actually provides some nice day trips, because, honestly, the roadways are limited, you can't really go all that far on many of the islands, and the scenery is wonderful.  Outside of that, I haven't done too many long day trips originating from home, outside of checking out the NJ Turnpike construction, visiting my brother, visiting the Jersey Shore, etc.  At least I'll select routes that allow me to check things out on these local trips.

My longest single overnight trip was to Pittsburgh for dinner.  Took the PA Turnpike out; took I-80 back.  I'm planning on doing an overnight trip to the Cleveland area this spring (about 8 hours each way).

Our most frequent road trip is to Florida, to visit friends in The Villages, a kick-ass 55+ retirement community, which now eclipses 100,000 people.  We are in our 30's, and absolutely love it there...so much to do.  Riding around in golf carts everywhere is kinda fun also!

On our trips that involve 15+ hours of driving, often times we have slept in Rest Areas to catch a few hours' sleep. I remember in the first few years of meeting my wife, I mentioned about road tripping and sleeping in rest areas, and no way would she consider such an unsafe idea where, to paraphrase it, "˜We Would Certainly Be Killed Or Worse'.  But since we've been married, we've slept in rest areas several times without incident.  Depending on the cost or point values of hotels, we may sleep in a hotel as well.  Like what corco mentioned, I have a whole spreadsheet/calculation system on when to use points, or when to pay for the hotel.

Eating wise, we often will stop at fast food places along the road trip; sometimes places with servers, but we generally try to hit up places that aren't in our local area.  Rarely do we brown-bag actual meals, although my wife will bring enough snacks to keep us alive for about 47 years.

In a category you didn't ask (impromptu trips): Longest single night trip was the 5 hour Pittsburgh trip mentioned above.  Started talking about it at 2pm on a Sunday, and left the house at 3:30pm. On a multi-night trip, we decided to go see an Eagles playoff game in Minneapolis because tickets for the game were fairly cheap.  Decided to take the trip on a Wednesday.  Left Friday, getting out there Saturday.

Mapmikey

QuoteHow many day trips do you venture on per month? per year?
Roughly 1 per month...these are by myself although two have been with Froggie

About 3 per year with my wife...try to go somewhere warm in the winter, someplace tolerable in the summer, SC in the fall.  one is usually paired with a business trip.

QuoteWhen you go overnight, do you usually stay in a hotel, sleep in your vehicle, or stay elsewhere?
Almost always in a hotel

9-17 days.  This summer we have something scheduled for 26 days and we went to Europe in 2012 via boat that took 23 days.  For solo trips they last 12-18 hrs depending on the season.

yes (not sure what other kind of answer you're after here..."no, I blow off work for a month? ;-)

QuoteAre your long distance trips usually circular or do you fly somewhere and rent a car?
Always circular (triangular when possible).  Neither one of us has been on a plane since the mid 70s.  Don't see that changing anytime soon.  i have once rented a car from my city and done a round trip.  This summer we are trying this: taking train to Denver, renting a car to go to Yeloowstone and Vancouver BC, then back to Denver for train ride home.

1997 - VA to MT; 2000 - VA to Yellowstone and Glacier NPs; 2010 - VA to Portland, OR with a business trip in Salt Lake City in between; 2013 - VA to Scottsdale, AZ (business) with a few days in Austin TX;
Also rode across; 1984 - SC to San Diego and 3-4 other times before the age of 4 and don't remember any of them.

QuoteHow often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?
For solo trips it is solely fast-food.  Since my solo trips start at 3 or 4 in the morning, I stop the day before for a fast food sandwich I can tolerate at 4 a.m. as a pre-breakfast.  Then at the first pee stop it is still breakfast time and get something then, fast food lunch around 2 and then I usually bring home something good for dinner for my wife and I to share (typically something not quite fast food).  On real trips it starts out as sit-down places then we get tired of it and go to Wendy's for "desperation salads"

QuoteWhen you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)?
Solo trips are all about roadgeeking.  Trips with my wife I work around whatever the purpose of the trip is.  We love national parks.

QuoteHow often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)?
Since ebay came along I quit stopping at antique places looking for maps.  My wife likes to visit thrift stores in new cities.  Generally don't do museums en route to anywhere.

Mapmikey

wphiii

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AM
Not as many as I'd like, though one of my goals as the weather turns bearable again is to do more one-day exploring trips. A couple of weekends ago it broke 50 for the first time in what felt like 6 months, so I drove around the WV panhandle a bit. I definitely am going to aim to do more of that sort of thing.

This is kind of a trick question for me, because my girlfriend lives in Washington D.C., so I'll drive (or bus) down there usually two weekends a month. I almost don't even count that round trip as "travel" anymore. Other than that, I try to go somewhere at least one other weekend every, say, 2 months, though that can often be a trip that I end up flying or busing as well. I also am usually able to take a weeklong vacation once or twice a year, plus another week at Christmas. Then there are also work trips which are during the week and have ranged from 1-3 times per month, and are generally 2-3 nights.

Stay with family or friends for free whenever possible. If that's not an option, I'll spring for a hostel if the destination is a city that's big enough to have one. Failing that, I'll try to find a cheap AirBnB offering. Hotels tend to be a last resort, for me. Work trips, on the other hand are almost always hotels.

Unfortunately I'm not really able to take more than a week of work off at a time, so my big trips usually end up being 9 days (weekend-to-weekend).

Yes, I have to. I wish I were independently wealthy just so I could do nothing but tool around the country...

It depends on the itinerary. I prefer driving my own car, but for anything much west of the Mississippi it's just not really practical due to time restraints.

Not yet! Closest I've come is Kent, OH to El Paso, TX, about 2,500 miles using the route we took.

My trips are short enough that I usually like to eat locally. I'm not against fast food, but I do try to avoid big chains wherever possible, unless it's a chain that I can't get back home (Jack-in-the-Box, In-N-Out, etc). Some day I'd like to do a super long trip where packing my own food would be a more financially prudent thing to do.

The major attraction of roads, to me, are the places they connect and the things you can see along them. So in a way, roads are a focal point of my travels, but I almost always do have a concrete destination in mind, as well.

As often as possible. In general, I like to stop somewhere every couple of hours at most, just to get a little walk in and keep my blood flowing. I do my best to try to coincide these breaks with something interesting - a park, small town, museum, etc.

Duke87

Varies depending on the time of year (more trips in summer than winter), but I'd say that I make maybe ~15 day trips for roadgeeking purposes in a year. Some of them to road meets, some of them with other roadgeeks not to a meet, some of them solo.

A handful. Usually associated with a road meet not close enough to be a day trip.

When you go overnight, do you usually stay in a hotel, sleep in your vehicle, or stay elsewhere?

Hotel usually. Alternatively I may stay with a friend or family if I know someone where I'm going. But I've never slept in my car and doubt I could, I need to be lying down to sleep and there isn't enough room for that.

As long as it takes to do what I gotta do. :P

For any weekday where I'm not working, yes.

Are your long distance trips usually circular or do you fly somewhere and rent a car?
Usually circular although I have done one fly and drive trip... roadgeeking wasn't the primary purpose of that trip, but a bunch of it was worked in.

Yes! This is something everyone should do at least once in their lives, roadgeek or not. It's a really eye-opening experience to see not just the coasts but also EVERYTHING in between and just how much of it there is.

How often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?

Being on the road means no time to cook, so it means a lot of fast food and munch on the go groceries (cereal, muffin, etc.). I'll do sit-down but only at someplace low-key and relatively quick like Denny's or a diner.

When you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)?
Roads are the main attraction when I am in motion, but visiting people will dictate the endpoint of my trip. This is both a blessing and a curse, since these people on the one hand give me an excuse to travel, but on the other hand visiting them consumes time I could be spending driving. :P

How often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)?
If I'm traveling alone, virtually never. If I check anything out it will be of the pull over and quickly look around variety, since prolonged stops just cut into precious driving time. But when I am traveling with other people, there tends to be a desire to do more than just drive around.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Thing 342

I don't really go on any trips devoted solely to roads, as most of my family does not like to travel.

I usually average about one per month. Most day trips I take are either west out to the mountains, or south to the Raleigh/Durham area. This adds up to about nine per year.

About once a month. I generally take two trips to SC each year, one trip to Atlanta each year, another one to Philadelphia each year.

Hotels, always.

I rarely travel anywhere that is further than 10 hours (~500 miles) away. My most recent trip longer than that was from VA to Ft. Lauderdale (~1000 miles) a few years ago.

Yes.

Generally, if I'm traveling to the opposite side of the country (such as recent trips to AZ and Las Vegas) I fly and rent a car.

No. However, I have driven from Wyoming to visit relatives in SC.

How often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?

I almost always eat fast food. Sometimes I eat sit-down if I'm traveling with passengers.

When you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)?

I usually travel with my family, so we generally focus on the destination.

How often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)?

Semi-often. I sometimes like to go to visit historical points on the way back from somewhere.

ctsignguy

Ok, Laura, i'll try to answer your questions as best as i can.....everyone here is a bit different

Q: How many day trips do you venture on per month? per year? 
A: My road trips tend to be the longer ones.  Before my health went south i would do one or two trips per year, often going all up and down the East Coast....usually, they are anywhere from 6-9 days

Q:How many overnight trips do you venture on per month? per year?
A: Depends.  I do some overnights during train shows....but it works out to 2-3 per year

Q:When you go overnight, do you usually stay in a hotel, sleep in your vehicle, or stay elsewhere?
A: Stay in a hotel....i consider that part and parcel of road tripping

Q:For long distance trips, how long do you go?
A: Furthest I have traveled from Columbus Oh is the Bangor Maine area (sign shopping)

Q: Do you use paid vacation time for your long distance trips?
A: Yes

Q: Are your long distance trips usually circular or do you fly somewhere and rent a car?
A: Always drive myself

Q: Have you ever driven all the way across the USA?
A:  Nope, but would probably need two weeks off work for that one

Q: How often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?
A:  About 50-50%  I pack a few days worth of packed food, then restaurant it the rest of the way.  My tradition upon returning from New England is to stop into a Longhorn Steakhouse off I-80 in the Poconos for my final road trip meal

Q: When you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)?
A: Both.  Road tripping for me is as much about seeing the sights and attractions as it is seeking out interesting signs

Q: How often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)?
A: If i can and the hours are good, i do stop.  If i am on US-30 in Pennsylvania i will stop by the 9-11 Memorial just off the highway

Hope this helps
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

1995hoo

–These days, probably an average of one a month, though it can vary with the time of year (fewer during the winter, more during the summer). I include things like golf trips to courses out in the mountains or in Fredericksburg, and winery visits, among "day trips," especially if I can find a new way to come home afterwards (not always easy). These days, with the price of gas being what it is, about the only time I will simply go out for a drive just for the sake of driving is when I feel like our 1988 RX-7 needs to run a bit, especially if I've just jumpstarted it and I need to charge the battery. When I do that, I usually go over the Wilson Bridge to Maryland and then cruise around roads in PG or Charles County to try to pass through areas of Maryland I haven't previously visited and to clinch some new roads.....only tricky thing is figuring out where to go since that car doesn't have a sat-nav and I do not like fiddling with a mobile phone when driving. I can always pull off to look at the Google Maps app, though. Usually I'll take the RX-7 out on that kind of drive two or three times a year when the weather is nice enough to put the top down but not so hot as to make top-down driving unpleasant, and it usually adds up to between 70 and 100 miles of driving per trip.

–Less than one per month. On average lately, probably four per year. We had an overnight trip to Hershey planned last month that turned into a day trip because the hotel had a three-day cancellation policy and a big snowstorm was forecast, so I cancelled in advance rather than risk having to eat the money. We still went up there for the game but drove back home afterwards.

–Hotel, motel, or with friends/relatives (the latter typically when we visit Florida–we make a couple of stops and we stay with a friend in Venice, in a hotel in Fort Myers, at a timeshare exchange near Miami, and with a relative in Viera; sometimes also with a friend in Green Cove Springs). I have not slept in the car since my student days some 20 years ago and I will not do so again unless it's a serious emergency. I woke up aching and with a stiff back even back then, so I can't imagine trying it now, and my wife would never agree to it anyway! My camping days are in the past for now because my wife isn't into that either and because typically it's more hassle than I care to deal with at the present time.

–It depends on how much time we are taking off and how far the drive will be. For example, a two-week trip will be a driving trip unless we are going overseas (including Hawaii, of course). A one-week trip will probably be a driving trip if we are staying on the East Coast, including Canada. For example, if we go skiing at Mont-Tremblant we will always drive. It's a fairly easy one-day drive to get up there and the benefit of being able to pack whatever we want, have our own ski equipment and not check it with the airline, and not have to rent a car up there makes it well worth taking a day at each end of the trip to drive. A weekend trip to Florida would be a flying trip, as would a weekend trip further west than, say, Dayton, even if we extend the trip to a four-day weekend (an example might be our football trip to a UVA game at Wyoming over Labor Day weekend 2007–it's too far to make the drive reasonable, so we flew to Denver using miles and rented a car).

The tipping point on this issue is at what point we would spend as much, or more, time in the car in transit compared to the time spent at our destination. "At our destination" includes time spent driving around when we get there–for example, for a trip to Florida "in transit" means time spent on travel between home and our first destination, or our last destination and home, but it does not include time spent going from one place within Florida to another. For a trip to San Francisco (I've never been there), it's around 2800 miles. That would take us four days of driving at 700 miles per day and my wife would become extremely fed up with the driving after the second day. So four days out and four days back would eat up more than half of a two-week trip. Therefore, we would not drive that.

The outer limit of how far we've gone in a day in recent years was 734 miles a few years ago from Green Cove Springs, Florida, to home–left Florida at 12:15 PM and got home at 12:12 AM.

–Not an issue for me since I'm self-employed (also explains how I can post on here whenever it suits me). My wife does use vacation time.

–Typically circular, including if we fly somewhere and rent a car (in that case it would be circular from that airport). Some of you would regard our Florida trips as an exception because we typically drive one way and take Amtrak's Auto Train the other way (overnight train ride that departs either Lorton, VA, or Sanford, FL, at 4:00 PM and arrives in the other of those two locations at 9:30 the following morning). But we still have our own car and we start and end at the same place (home).

–No. Would like to someday but don't see having the time any time soon.

–I do not allow eating in the car other than the occasional candy bar or granola bar, and under no circumstances is fast food ever allowed in the passenger compartment. For lunch, usually we will get fast food (preferably not McDonald's, just too ubiquitous). We may stop at a particular local place if there's one we know of and like or have wanted to try (an example on the East Coast is the Varsity in Atlanta; if we were out west, I might like to try In-N-Out just to see what all the hype is about). For dinner, sit-down food whenever possible, preferably a local place but we'll do chains if that's what's available. Usually we try to quit driving by 6:00 or 7:00 at night just to have time for a relaxed dinner prior to bedtime.

"Fast food" includes what a friend of mine once called "uppity fast food," BTW, meaning places like Panera or Fuddrucker's that are faster than a full-service sit-down restaurant but slower than standard fast food. If we leave home early in the morning, we'll likely fill our travel mugs with coffee at home using the Keurig machine, drive two hours, and then stop at a place like Panera for breakfast (on trips south, for example, there's a Panera just north of the Charlottesville area and we'll likely stop there for food, coffee refills, and a toilet stop).

–The latter. I try to balance the desires to (a) take a different route in each direction and (b) find new routes we haven't used before against the desire to maximize the time wherever it is we're going, especially if we're visiting relatives. If the new route turns out to be a better way to go, so much the better (example: in fall 2012 on the recommendation of people here I used Corridor D and Corridor H on the way home from Dayton and we liked it better than taking the Interstate through Pennsylvania and Maryland).

–Depends on what's there. Scenic overlooks depend on where they are (if it's one we've seen before, we're less likely to stop), whether a restroom is available, and whether we want to stretch our legs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SSOWorld

I'm curious how you all road trip. I'm always amazed by some of your travels and was curious how you personally do it. I've found that I've falsely assumed that some of you regularly take massive trips, while instead you've accumulated mileage on lots of shorter trips.
Breaking up the quote to answer the questions:

Used to do 1 per month, lately I'm limiting my efforts to shift finances to buying a home (assuming someone in the family doesn't come in and insist I help them first :| )

1 or 2 - If I do a "scenic route" to my hometown I'll stop for a night (since many of the routes on the way are clinched)

Hotel or a relative's house - but if I do the latter, I make time to visit.

Vacation time's at a premium here - I'll go anywhere from 6 days to (rarely) 2 weeks.  Last year's exception was my drives to/from California because work paid for the drive.

Yep.  No other way around it.

Circular - though for far-away trips I will rent a car.  Time - again - is at a premium. If I'm going to go highway or county clinching in Washington or Florida, I better have vacation time.

North-south only.  East-west is impossible for me given I'm half-way already.

Preferred for lunches - Dinners, I'll stop at a local place.  I'll find a hotel that has a fridge and unpack the cooler (I had a plug-in cooler for a bit of time, but the connector melted while plugged in. Note to self - avoid Wal-Marts. :pan: )

Roads are the attraction for short trips only now, used to be both, but now I've been cutting back. 

Depends on the situation.  I got lucky last year with being in California for a time to be able to catch several sights while getting every mile of Interstate in Arizona and California (south of I-80) that I didn't have already prior to being there last year.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

codyg1985

I'm curious how you all road trip. I'm always amazed by some of your travels and was curious how you personally do it. I've found that I've falsely assumed that some of you regularly take massive trips, while instead you've accumulated mileage on lots of shorter trips.

These are good questions. Here are my responses:

1) I usually do about one every couple of months, depending on the weather and if I have time. Lately I have been pretty busy every weekend which has kept me from doing purely road trips for pleasure, but I try to do them every now and then. Plus, this cold winter has curtailed my pleasure road trips more than usual.

2) Usually if I go somewhere where I would have to stay overnight, I would go on a weekend where I have three days off at work (I have every other Friday off), so I can use the extra time to see more things or clinch more counties. Lately I have been doing one of these about every couple of months.

3) Usually a motel, but if there are people I know in the area, I may try and stay with them. I am not big on sleeping in my car. I just don't sleep well in a car, whether it is moving or stationary.

4) I assume you mean for how many days. It is usually a three day affair (Friday through Sunday), but if I do something farther away I have done five days, like when I went to Austin a year ago.

5) Usually I don't since most of them fall into the three day category. I do if it goes beyond three days, though.

6) Always circular. I have not flown anywhere and rented a car before. I may do that more often if I can find a super cheap flight somewhere, but I have stayed away from that option due to the expense involved with flying.

7) No, but I hope to do that soon. It is a short-term goal of mine, but it keeps slipping due to finances and other things that crop up.

8) I usually do fast food on the days that I drive, but sometimes I do sit-down so I can be out of the car longer. I don't like eating in my car unless I have to. I hardly ever bring groceries or pre-packed snacks and meals with me, but I do try and keep something on me to eat in case my blood sugar drops while driving.

9) It is a little of both, but more towards the latter. My recent Dallas trip was visiting family, and my Austin trip a year ago involved both visiting the city as well as a friend I have that lives there.  Usually there is something at the destination that I want to see road-wise, but I do try and make it more about roads some of the time.  ;-)

10) It depends on how much of a hurry I am in and how far I have to go. If I am completely on my own schedule, I don't mind stopping and seeing things along the way, but if I have to or want to be somewhere by a certain time or day, I don't stop much other than for fuel/restroom/food. My trip across the USA, if/when I ever take it, I will try and stop more than I usually do.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

bandit957

In the past several years, I've used Greyhound for several out-of-town events. Because of the unacceptable 6-hour delay in getting me home from St. Louis this past Sunday, that will change. I'm never using Greyhound again - once I use my refund voucher they promised to send me following Sunday's disaster.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMHow many day trips do you venture on per month? per year?
Usually at least one per month. Ottawa, Quebec City and Jay, VT are frequent destinations.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMHow many overnight trips do you venture on per month? per year?
A couple per year. Usually between 6 and 8.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMWhen you go overnight, do you usually stay in a hotel, sleep in your vehicle, or stay elsewhere?
I usually stay at hotels or with friends.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMFor long distance trips, how long do you go?
On solo trips, my limit seems to be 14-18 hours, after which I need some rest. With other people, well, I haven't reached my limit yet.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMDo you use paid vacation time for your long distance trips?
Quite often I'll work extra hours during a month so I can take a day or two off. On other occasions, I take vacation days.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMAre your long distance trips usually circular or do you fly somewhere and rent a car?
Circular. I've only flown once and we took the train the other way, and we took transit at our destination.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMHave you ever driven all the way across the USA?
Neither the USA nor Canada. I've taken a train to Vancouver, though.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMHow often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?
Mostly fast food, occasionally sit-down. I only buy groceries on trips that last more than three days.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMWhen you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)?
It depends on the trip. Roads are usually the main attraction on my solo trips, but I try to throw a couple of things into them when I can.

Quote from: Laura on March 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AMHow often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)?
It's happened a few times. I try to do it whenever possible, including museums and parks, although it's usually just americana (and canadiana?).

Laura

Ha, I never answered my own questions! Until now...

How many day trips do you venture on per month? per year? Usually Mike and I take at least one day trip per month. Sometimes these day trips are local-ish meets, other times they are to different parts of Maryland or Pennsylvania. So, about twelve per year.

How many overnight trips do you venture on per month? per year? For a while we were doing an overnight weekend trip every month or every other month, but I think those days have passed due to time/money and wanting to save up for longer trips. Our next overnight weekend trip will probably be the NYC meet at the end of June.

When you go overnight, do you usually stay in a hotel, sleep in your vehicle, or stay elsewhere? Depends. I've done all three. I never stayed in a hotel on solo trips and opted to sleep in my car in a parking lot (like Walmart or a truck stop). When Mike and I are going somewhere and would spend less than five hours in a room, we sleep in the car. My favorite motel/hotels are the cute little motor inns that are independently owned and well kept. When I can, I like to stay with family or friends, and usually do so when that is the primary focus of a trip.

For long distance trips, how long do you go? Usually a long weekend. I will occasionally get the opportunity to go on a week long trip, and hope to take at least one a year moving forward.

Do you use paid vacation time for your long distance trips? I work as a contractor, so I do not currently get any vacation time. This is why it's easier for me financially to go on a long weekend trip as opposed to a longer trip.

Are your long distance trips usually circular or do you fly somewhere and rent a car? I've only rented a car out of state once, when I was in California. My trips are usually circular. Exceptions have been when I've gone in a car in one direction and a train or bus in the other (obviously in someone else's car).

Have you ever driven all the way across the USA? No, but I really really want to drive across the country. The furthest I've gone west was with Alps for the St. Louis meet. I had an opportunity to drive with a roommate from Virginia to Oregon after graduation in 2009, but I had to turn it down due to my summer camp job (she left the week camp started in June.)

How often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?I usually pack my own food because I'm a weirdo with a sensitive stomach. I can only eat so much fast food until I get GI issues. If I'm going solo, I don't eat sit-down food at all. Mike and I will do a sit-down meal or two if we go on a weekend trip. If we go on a day trip, we'll get fast food at a place like Royal Farms or Sheetz (where I can pick something relatively healthy).

When you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)? I've been guilty of making the roads secondary to a main attraction most of the time. From 2005-2012, I took a lot of trips from my hometown to Lynchburg, VA (2005-09 when I was in college; 09-12 while I still had friends in college that I visited frequently).  During that timeframe, I also would randomly go visit friends on school breaks all around Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, NJ, and NY. Meets have become a good excuse to explore roads in various states. Rarely do I travel for the sake of the roads, and can only count a handful of trips where I did just that. I would like to do more road-specific trips in PA and VA to clinch US highways.

How often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)? Far too often!!! Haha I am addicted to roadside Americana, so going out of my way to see Foamhenge or a giant ketchup bottle is up my alley.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Laura on April 13, 2014, 09:37:44 AM
Ha, I never answered my own questions! Until now...

How many day trips do you venture on per month? per year? Usually Mike and I take at least one day trip per month. Sometimes these day trips are local-ish meets, other times they are to different parts of Maryland or Pennsylvania. So, about twelve per year.

How many overnight trips do you venture on per month? per year? For a while we were doing an overnight weekend trip every month or every other month, but I think those days have passed due to time/money and wanting to save up for longer trips. Our next overnight weekend trip will probably be the NYC meet at the end of June.

When you go overnight, do you usually stay in a hotel, sleep in your vehicle, or stay elsewhere? Depends. I've done all three. I never stayed in a hotel on solo trips and opted to sleep in my car in a parking lot (like Walmart or a truck stop). When Mike and I are going somewhere and would spend less than five hours in a room, we sleep in the car. My favorite motel/hotels are the cute little motor inns that are independently owned and well kept. When I can, I like to stay with family or friends, and usually do so when that is the primary focus of a trip.

For long distance trips, how long do you go? Usually a long weekend. I will occasionally get the opportunity to go on a week long trip, and hope to take at least one a year moving forward.

Do you use paid vacation time for your long distance trips? I work as a contractor, so I do not currently get any vacation time. This is why it's easier for me financially to go on a long weekend trip as opposed to a longer trip.

Are your long distance trips usually circular or do you fly somewhere and rent a car? I've only rented a car out of state once, when I was in California. My trips are usually circular. Exceptions have been when I've gone in a car in one direction and a train or bus in the other (obviously in someone else's car).

Have you ever driven all the way across the USA? No, but I really really want to drive across the country. The furthest I've gone west was with Alps for the St. Louis meet. I had an opportunity to drive with a roommate from Virginia to Oregon after graduation in 2009, but I had to turn it down due to my summer camp job (she left the week camp started in June.)

How often do you eat packed groceries versus fast food versus sit-down food on a trip?I usually pack my own food because I'm a weirdo with a sensitive stomach. I can only eat so much fast food until I get GI issues. If I'm going solo, I don't eat sit-down food at all. Mike and I will do a sit-down meal or two if we go on a weekend trip. If we go on a day trip, we'll get fast food at a place like Royal Farms or Sheetz (where I can pick something relatively healthy).

When you travel, do you make the roads the main attraction, or do you work the roads around a main attraction (like visiting a family member or a destination city)? I've been guilty of making the roads secondary to a main attraction most of the time. From 2005-2012, I took a lot of trips from my hometown to Lynchburg, VA (2005-09 when I was in college; 09-12 while I still had friends in college that I visited frequently).  During that timeframe, I also would randomly go visit friends on school breaks all around Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, NJ, and NY. Meets have become a good excuse to explore roads in various states. Rarely do I travel for the sake of the roads, and can only count a handful of trips where I did just that. I would like to do more road-specific trips in PA and VA to clinch US highways.

How often do you stop to look at nearby sites (anything from roadside americana to stopping at a museum or national park)? Far too often!!! Haha I am addicted to roadside Americana, so going out of my way to see Foamhenge or a giant ketchup bottle is up my alley.

1.  I believe I end up doing at least once a month since I am a college student and drive home every so often.  Job interviews and other things could be thrown into this as well.  I am unsure how this will change after I graduate in May.

2.  Not as often as day trips,  I have done overnight trips home from Blacksburg though to make the ride on I-81 smoother (maybe a couple per year).

3.  So far they have mostly been to my home so I have slept there.

4. I really have not done these recently (since I have been driving).

5. This is something that I haven't done yet, but I could do in the future.

6.  See #4.

7.  Not at this point, the farthest west I have been is to Atlanta, GA.  (My friend's wedding in the Cincinnati, OH, metropolitan area (it will be in Kentucky though) will come close when I go to it in August.)

8.  It really depends on where I end up.  I will do fast-food though depending on the situation so I can get back to driving.

9.  For me, it has mostly been trying to get to a particular place quickly so roads have been secondary overall (making me bored of US 460).  I am working on changing that some though.

10.  For me it really depends on what is there.  I may stop at some scenic views though and if I ever find those rhinos on US 460 west of Bedford.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bugo

I like to drive on a straight 4 lane freeway with little traffic, set the cruise to 85 and just relax.  I hate driving down 2 lane highways that go through speed trap towns and have speed limits that change over and over.

froggie

To each their own.  I've actually developed a preference to those 2-lane roads.  You see so much more than you would along a freeway.

US71

Quote from: froggie on April 16, 2014, 08:16:17 AM
To each their own.  I've actually developed a preference to those 2-lane roads.  You see so much more than you would along a freeway.

I echo that sentiment. I like scouting out old alignments. Lots more to see like old bridges, decaying gas stations, old signs, etc.

Sometimes, I'll take the 4-Lane to my destination, then scout out the old 2-Lane on the way home.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Yeah but if you're in a hurry a freeway can't be beat.  If it is a road you drive often then the things you see get old really fast.

1995hoo

I enjoy two-lane roads, but it often depends on where I am, how much traffic there is, whether there are adequate passing zones, and whether I need to be somewhere by a specific time. I think there are few things quite as frustrating as getting stuck behind someone going well under the speed limit on a road that doesn't have any passing zones or climbing lanes, although I've driven in some places where the local routine seems to be that as long as there's no cop around you just go ahead and pass over the double yellow if someone is going inordinately slow (like 40 mph in a 55-mph zone). I'm wary of doing that even if I see the local drivers doing it because I never know who might know a local cop.

With that said, I almost always like a good twisty two-lane road in the mountains, even if passing might be difficult there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Quote from: bugo on April 16, 2014, 10:35:56 AM

Yeah but if you're in a hurry a freeway can't be beat.  If it is a road you drive often then the things you see get old really fast.

That's why I switch between 540 and 71 heading up the mountain, or go to Springfield via Gateway instead of Joplin ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

I much prefer taking old alignments instead of the active highway.

JMoses24

You won't get any argument from me. If I had my choices, I'd take the back roads. But since I'm not the one doing the driving, it's usually all major highways.

J N Winkler

Quote from: bugo on April 16, 2014, 07:52:25 AMI like to drive on a straight 4 lane freeway with little traffic, set the cruise to 85 and just relax.  I hate driving down 2 lane highways that go through speed trap towns and have speed limits that change over and over.

Quote from: froggie on April 16, 2014, 08:16:17 AMTo each their own.  I've actually developed a preference to those 2-lane roads.  You see so much more than you would along a freeway.

John Steinbeck used to remark that the Interstates were the perfect way to travel all across the US without seeing any of it.

That said, my position on the two-lane versus freeway question is closer to Froggie's, but there are some nuances:

*  In general, I prefer roads of whatever type that offer smooth driving experiences--few  to no obligatory stops, good design consistency, and the ability to maintain a steady and relatively high speed legally and safely (which tends to imply both high LOS and fairly demanding standards of geometric design).  It is, however, more important to me that the speed be steady than it be high (see next point).

*  If I have to drive a road with tight curves and steep grades, I actually prefer the operating speed to be fairly low since this leaves more margin for error; drivers' and passengers' tolerance of side friction demand is generally much higher at lower speeds, curve widening is systematically provided since curve radii tend to be quite low, curve sharpness and superelevation is optically easier to evaluate, etc.  In the Colorado mountains, I-70 and US 160 (both designed for relatively high speeds over mountain pass segments) are more difficult and tiring to drive than US 550 (designed for very low speeds).

*  Oklahoma has an unusually irritating approach toward changing speed limits in the vicinity of towns--a driver approaching a town receives little if any advance notice of reduced speed limits, and then is confronted with a fiddly succession of closely spaced speed limit changes in 10-20 MPH increments.  In Kansas the usual practice is to have a sharply defined transition between the open-road and urban speed limits, with the reduced limit signposted far enough in advance that a motorist (depending on his or her vehicle's performance characteristics) can simply coast down to the lower limit.  Oklahoma also has a long history of underfunding its rural state highways, many of which have too-steep sideslopes, no shoulders, narrow lanes, and all kinds of sight-distance problems, so the gap in driving experience between freeways and the two-lane rural state highways is wider than elsewhere.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

QuoteJohn Steinbeck used to remark that the Interstates were the perfect way to travel all across the US without seeing any of it.

I thought that was a Charles Kuralt quote...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.