News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Was part of the remnants of Florence for sure. Some of the videos coming out of VA were intense!  :wow:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Interstate 69 Fan

Florence preliminary damages at 17 billion - 11th highest on record, behind Hurricane Rita of 2005.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Beltway

Quote from: ET21 on September 18, 2018, 11:48:38 AM
Was part of the remnants of Florence for sure. Some of the videos coming out of VA were intense!  :wow:

How would we conclude that when the TD center was in Massachusetts?  I've seen weather like that before in central VA when there was no TS activity within a thousand miles.

Like the microburst that knocked down a number of big trees (as in 70+ feet tall) in my part of the city in July 2016, one missed my car by a few feet and another knocked down the power poles and lines behind my house.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

plain

A viewer posted on one of the stations' fb page a picture of 2 tornadoes going at once, looks like the pic was taken from one of the high rises downtown. Pretty scary stuff.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on September 18, 2018, 01:23:30 PM

How would we conclude that when the TD center was in Massachusetts?  I've seen weather like that before in central VA when there was no TS activity within a thousand miles.

There's no center now.  Basically it's just a low pressure system associated with Florence.  Here in NJ/Philly we're getting the storm today.

Quote from: plain on September 18, 2018, 01:34:05 PM
A viewer posted on one of the stations' fb page a picture of 2 tornadoes going at once, looks like the pic was taken from one of the high rises downtown. Pretty scary stuff.

I'd like to see that...and also which movie it came from! ;-)

WillWeaverRVA

The rainfall yesterday was associated with the remnants of the main feeder band of Florence, which was at the time moving across WV and western VA. It didn't become a post-tropical cyclone until the 2100 UTC advisory; it was officially still a tropical depression at 1500 UTC. That band now exists as a trough trailing from the elongated low pressure center which is currently sprawled out across Massachusetts.

So far two of the four tornadoes the county mentioned on their "alert" page have been confirmed - an EF2 (the Speeks Drive tornado) and an EF1 that affected the Hampton Park neighborhood in southwestern Chesterfield County. The two funnel clouds/possible tornadoes that passed near Bon Air are still being surveyed.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ET21

Quote from: Beltway on September 18, 2018, 01:23:30 PM

The remnants of Florence were over VA yesterday when the tornadoes occurred as a remnant low pressure and associated warm front.
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/noaa/noaa_archive.php?month=09&day=17&year=2018&format=gif&lang=english&cycle=12&reset=no
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

WillWeaverRVA

Looks like there was also an EF0 tornado in Powhatan County, an EF1 tornado near Bon Air, and an additional possible tornado touchdown site an EF1 tornado in Hanover County. There was an EF0 tornado in Mecklenburg County, as well.

Quote from: Beltway on September 18, 2018, 10:11:21 AM
Richmond Slimes-Dispatch website

...ehh...well, like them or hate them that's where my info is currently coming from until Wakefield issues their public information statement when all the surveys are done.

Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

slorydn1

Quote from: ce929wax on September 13, 2018, 08:11:01 PM
Has anyone heard from slorydn?  I know he lives in that area.  To everyone else, please be safe.

All good here. I got power back around 10am Monday morning. I spent from Thursday around lunch time until Saturday night locked down in our EOC, went home Sat and Sun nights to no power. At least my water is heated by propane so I had hot showers  :)

Spent the last two days cleaning up limbs and leaves and cutting back some trees that had fallen close to the house, things of that nature.

Food and gas is a little hard to come by but its getting better everyday.

There are still areas of my county that are inaccessible due to river flooding, and I am not sure when those areas will be open again. If Matthew was any indication it could be the middle of next week before those areas are dry enough for people to begin cleaning up.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

WillWeaverRVA

NWS Wakefield has issued their summary of yesterday's tornado outbreak (which, yes, was related to the remnants of Florence), including details on all six confirmed tornadoes in their county warning area. It looks like they're still populating it since a lot of the graphics are currently missing.
Will Weaver

D-Dey65

We know the Carolinas are going to get plenty of federal aid after Florence, and both DOTs are going to use it to rebuild their roads and railway lines. And those of us familiar enough with I-95 know about the remaining low bridge zone from Exit 65 in Godwin to Exit 75 north of Dunn. So my question for everybody here is; Should NCDOT raise I-95 above the roads that it currently runs under?

Beltway

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 19, 2018, 03:17:32 PM
We know the Carolinas are going to get plenty of federal aid after Florence, and both DOTs are going to use it to rebuild their roads and railway lines. And those of us familiar enough with I-95 know about the remaining low bridge zone from Exit 65 in Godwin to Exit 75 north of Dunn. So my question for everybody here is; Should NCDOT raise I-95 above the roads that it currently runs under?

Have NCDOT conduct an engineering study and see what would be involved to raise it above the flood levels of the current as well as in Oct. 2016 when this section was flooded.  How much fill, how much bridgework, etc., calculate the cost.  Then decide the cost effectiveness, may be affordable, maybe not.

On another note, I took my weekly walk across the Potterfield Bridge across the James River in Richmond.  Roiling, boiling waters over the rapids today, very rapid currents, as a result of the very heavy rains west of here.

https://jamesriverpark.org/project/tyler-potterfield-memorial-bridge/

The river is above flood stage but the forecast is that it has peaked and will be declining --
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=akq&gage=rmdv2

Riverside Drive is fully open in the stretch between the Huguenot Bridge and Stratford Hills.  I have not been on other sections today.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

WillWeaverRVA

Two additional EF0 tornadoes were confirmed in the City of Richmond on Monday, bringing the total number to 8.
Will Weaver

D-Dey65

Quote from: Beltway on September 19, 2018, 04:15:30 PM

Have NCDOT conduct an engineering study and see what would be involved to raise it above the flood levels of the current as well as in Oct. 2016 when this section was flooded.  How much fill, how much bridgework, etc., calculate the cost.  Then decide the cost effectiveness, may be affordable, maybe not.
Okay, but even if they decide against it, you have to admit they can't leave that 14'2" trucker's obstacle course this way forever.

Beltway

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on September 19, 2018, 04:27:29 PM
Two additional EF0 tornadoes were confirmed in the City of Richmond on Monday, bringing the total number to 8.

The NWS site still lists 6 so apparently it needs to be updated.  Looks like only one was in the City of Richmond, in the metro area there was one in Hanover County, one in Powhatan County, two in Chesterfield County.  It lists one in Meckenburg County but that is 70+ miles from Richmond.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Beltway on September 19, 2018, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on September 19, 2018, 04:27:29 PM

The NWS site still lists 6 so apparently it needs to be updated.  Looks like only one was in the City of Richmond, in the metro area there was one in Hanover County, one in Powhatan County, two in Chesterfield County.  It lists one in Meckenburg County but that is 70+ miles from Richmond.

Yeah, they haven't been added to the main summary page yet. One was in Westover Hills (briefly), the other was in Ginter Park.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=AKQ&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1
Will Weaver

plain

8 tornadoes, all in Central Virginia except the Mecklenburg one... that's crazy!

One of my friends in Ginter Park said there was damage in the neighborhood but I don't think he realized it was an actual tornado at the time. I live in Church Hill so I was unaffected by them. Still was some pretty strong winds here though.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Beltway

The EF-1 "Tornado - Richmond (city) to Tuckahoe" came within 3 miles of my house in Stratford Hills, but I never was aware of it.  That afternoon at my house there were several periods of very heavy rainfall but very little winds.

I'm not sure if I was there at home "3:32 to 3:42 PM", but I went to the county library in Bon Air somewhere around then and they had a sign on the door saying that it was closed due to a tornado warning, and that was the first time I was aware of any tornado events in the area.  I immediately went home to monitor things from there, and followed things on WRIC TV's website.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

CNGL-Leudimin

We'll say farewell to Florence, the last of the original F names from 1979. All others have changed at least once, one of them twice: Frederic => Fabian => Fred, Frances => Fiona (was going to be removed, got retired anyway), Floyd => Franklin, Felix => Fernand, Fran => Fay. Isaac will remain as the last original I name, as it didn't cause much damage.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 19, 2018, 04:37:32 PM
Quote from: Beltway on September 19, 2018, 04:15:30 PM

Okay, but even if they decide against it, you have to admit they can't leave that 14'2" trucker's obstacle course this way forever.

Truckers maximum is 13' 6", so there's no obstacle except for permit loads, which would be instructed the route to take as part of their permit.

It should be raised when the bridge needs work, but it's nothing that is preventing the everyday truck from using the highway now.

D-Dey65

bing101

CNGL-Leudimin

Just 'a typhoon'? That typhoon has (or had, as it has become extratropical or 'post-tropical' as the NHC likes to say) a name: Trami. However in the Philippines they somehow don't recognize these names and instead use their own scheme, under which Trami was known as Paeng.

We have now reached the end of the Hawaiian list 36 years after it was established with hurricane Walaka. The next name to be used in the so-called Central Pacific is Akoni, which was the inaugural name in 1982.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hurricane Rex

Walaka is now a Cat 5. The 2nd or 3rd in tue Central Pacific this year and still poised to strengthen.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.