News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2015 Buffalo/Niagara Falls mini-meet?

Started by Roadgeek Adam, June 19, 2015, 07:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 21, 2015, 08:23:18 PM
Would people be up for July the 18th?

Yep. I'll clear my schedule.

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 21, 2015, 08:35:45 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 21, 2015, 08:30:13 PM
Sounds like an open date for me.
What's the itinerary?

I have some basics in right now:

LaSalle Expressway stub
Skyway, because Skyway
Cleveland Drive bridge construction
A quick tour through Love Canal to see a piece of history and some really abandoned urban roads.

There will be more, including some bridge photography.

Other suggestions are abandoned NY 263 in Amherst (well, not entirely abandoned, but vehicles are banned) and the Peace Bridge project. While in Niagara Falls, the Robert Moses roundabout (just opened, not entirely finished) and I-190/NY 265 construction at the power project are practically right there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeek Adam

I just literally was in that roundabout twice today, so I have no opposition.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Rothman

Heh.  I've been working on the funding for the "Buffalo Gateway" project.  Might be too traumatic to go visit the site. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on June 21, 2015, 09:09:34 PM
Heh.  I've been working on the funding for the "Buffalo Gateway" project.  Might be too traumatic to go visit the site. :D

It's a mess. Plain and simple. And thanks to the NIMBYs, they can't do what is really needed (tear down a couple blocks of slums, expand the plaza, and build a new NB span).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Dougtone

It should be noted that the 2004 Buffalo road meet did go into Niagara Falls, NY. We covered Love Canal, the LaSalle Expressway eastern stub end and the Robert Moses State Parkway near the Whirlpool Rapids when we went into Niagara County. I'd say some things have changed between then and now.

Buffaboy

There is the 219 stub that's in Springville.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 21, 2015, 10:27:36 PM
There is the 219 stub that's in Springville.

That was covered in the 2008 meet (the construction of 219), but that's a deep trip into Erie County.

I have created a facebook event for the meet: https://www.facebook.com/events/1449610322009052/

The official details:

2015 Buffalo/Niagara Falls Road Meet
Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 12 PM

Buffalo Brewpub
6861 Main Street (NY 5)
Williamsville, NY 14221

We will go to Duff's or Anchor Bar (will be by consensus) after the meet. I wanted to have the meet at a true Brewpub.
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

Yeah, US 219 is a good 45 minutes out of the way unless you wanted to hit up the Zoar Valley Road reconstruction or the construction in Irving as well (the latter of which is quite a hike from US 219). Beautiful area I love driving in, but it is quite far and most of the recent activity is up north. Good for a side trip if you want a fun, scenic drive, but make sure your brakes are good for Zoar Valley Road.

I will note that, within the past year, the LaSalle Expressway got parkway-style shields as part of a major region-wide sign replacement and only a couple of the old square ones remain, both located on NY 384 by I-190. No pictures of those online. Robert Moses also got a small realignment near the Discovery Center.

route17fan

There's also a really old NY Thruway trailblazer assembly on Fillmore Ave and William St  ;-)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Alps

Oh hey, an entire meet got set up while I wasn't around to comment. Yeah, if it's not early August, forget me.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Rothman on June 21, 2015, 11:29:24 PM
Thanks for setting it up, Adam.

No problem, I wasn't expecting such an interest.
Adam Seth Moss

froggie

Quote from: AlpsOh hey, an entire meet got set up while I wasn't around to comment.

I think you'll survive...

As for the meet, consider me doubtful, but I'm not going to rule it out entirely.

AsphaltPlanet

The Buffalo Bisons are in town that weekend for a 6:05 start...
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 22, 2015, 10:30:15 AM
The Buffalo Bisons are in town that weekend for a 6:05 start...

I couldn't guarantee that we'd be able to be at the restaurant at 6:05, so I think that we'd be unable to get the Bisons game by 6:05.
Adam Seth Moss

froggie

You could if we skipped the traditional lunch gathering and went straight to the tour...

vdeane

So only the tour for those of us not into sports?  I think I'm partial to the lunch/dinner idea myself...

Already got my route in planned out.  It's a good chance to clinch NY 33, NY 193, and more of NY 5.

If we're doing the Skyway, the Mile Strip Expressway shouldn't be far out of the way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buffaboy

Mile Strip is 10 minutes from the skyway. There are the two Mile Strip Rd stubs to look at as well. It's an interesting area because you can tell where the expressway would've ran and the U.S. 62 intersection ROW, but is now just an arterial street.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

I am into sports and lunch/dinner is fine with me just because it'll cost less. Well, that and I refuse to pay for parking, as NFTA employees ride mass transit for free...  :spin:

Rothman

The events link doesn't work for me.  Facebook says it's unavailable.

froggie

QuoteSo only the tour for those of us not into sports?

Nothing stopping people from getting together beforehand or afterwards to do whatever sort of meal is desired.  I am increasingly of the mindset that road meets operate better and with more flexibility when there ISN'T a formal lunch or dinner.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2015, 10:05:18 PM
The events link doesn't work for me.  Facebook says it's unavailable.

Because it seemed to auto set to Private. You're going to have to add me unless someone tells me how to fix that.

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 22, 2015, 09:31:26 PM
Mile Strip is 10 minutes from the skyway. There are the two Mile Strip Rd stubs to look at as well. It's an interesting area because you can tell where the expressway would've ran and the U.S. 62 intersection ROW, but is now just an arterial street.

I have the basic route put down right now, southernmost we go is Ohio Street/NY 5.
Quote from: vdeane on June 22, 2015, 09:07:55 PM
So only the tour for those of us not into sports?  I think I'm partial to the lunch/dinner idea myself...

Already got my route in planned out.  It's a good chance to clinch NY 33, NY 193, and more of NY 5.

If we're doing the Skyway, the Mile Strip Expressway shouldn't be far out of the way.

We're clinching the 198 and most of the 33 on the meet, don't take them yet. As for 179, we'll see. I haven't set it in stone yet.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

As for the game. I have the 18th for Columbus@Buffalo. Cheapest tickets are $12. If we want to do this, we can do the game, then go to Anchor Bar if people want.

This game is also a Fireworks night game.

So, would people be up for ballgame, fireworks and Anchor Bar?
Adam Seth Moss

PHLBOS

Unfortunately, I will probably not be able to attend this meet.  My July weekend calendar is nearly booked with other commitments. 

While the 18th is the only July Saturday that I don't have a prior commitment nor an event planned; Buffalo's just a little too far for me to do a day-trip (at least by car: roughly 6-1/2 hours one-way).

I'll have to see whether or not Sunday July 19 is clear (for my return-drive).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on June 22, 2015, 09:07:55 PM

Yeah, I'm not into sports either, and I'm definitely up for clinching some more routes during the game.  How about also the Aurora Expressway (NY 400)?  It's not every day that you get to drive on a highway named after Sleeping Beauty!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.