News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Two of the entirety of Vatican City would fit inside the 2.5 mile oval at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dvferyance

Quote from: GaryV on May 07, 2023, 07:48:58 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on May 06, 2023, 09:26:44 PM
Puerto Vallarta Mexico is in CST despite being on the Pacific Coast.
Your point is? That Mexico and Central America bend to the east? Chile is the same time zone as Atlantic Canada, despite being on the Pacific Ocean.
I know that it's just many would not think of that. Usually when they think Pacific coast they will think PST zone.

hotdogPi

Central America is well known for being thin and is obviously not three time zones apart from one side to the other.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

US 89

That CST is year round though, so most of the time they're in line with US Mountain Time. Which they should be - they're almost exactly due south of Denver.

CNGL-Leudimin

The Lei Valley, an Italian valley draining to... the North Sea via the Rhine. The only part of Italy draining directly to the Atlantic, as opposed to the Mediterranean Sea or (in several small areas) the Black Sea via the Danube (also unexpected). It also contains a weird border, as Italy ceded some land to Switzerland so that they could build the dam.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JayhawkCO

Had a thought today as I drove to the mountains. The Eisenhower Tunnel is only 50 miles from Denver City limits. Feels like it should be farther.

US 89

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 27, 2023, 08:19:53 PM
Had a thought today as I drove to the mountains. The Eisenhower Tunnel is only 50 miles from Denver City limits. Feels like it should be farther.

It only feels farther because of the very reliable traffic along 70...

JayhawkCO

Poiponen13

The southernmost point of Turkmenistan is further south than entire Continental Europe, and only islands of Greece (such as Crete), as well as Cyprus are further south.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Poiponen13 on June 19, 2023, 12:05:40 PM
The southernmost point of Turkmenistan is further south than entire Continental Europe, and only islands of Greece (such as Crete), as well as Cyprus are further south.

I couldn't really place Turkmenistan on a map.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on June 19, 2023, 12:11:08 PM

I couldn't really place Turkmenistan on a map.

That sounds like a you problem, not Turkmenistan's. :D

That said, the fact Poiponen pointed out is really not surprising.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on June 19, 2023, 01:09:46 PM
the fact Poiponen pointed out is really not surprising.

Agreed.  I hardly think conventional wisdom would say Spain reaches farther south than Turkmenistan.

Slightly more surprising might be that Iran reaches farther north than Lisbon, or something like that.  Even then...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

The southernmost point of Turkmenistan is further south than the 12 foot 4 (formerly 11 foot 8) bridge in Durham, North Carolina.

Reworded that :D, per this:
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 19, 2021, 03:05:11 PM
One I like: The 12 foot 4 (formerly 11 foot 8) bridge lies at about the same latitude as the Southernmost tip of the Iberian Peninsula. This also means the entirety of continental Europe lies North of the world-famous bridge (some Greek islands, such as Crete, lie further South).

Also, I should note that only parts of Crete and Cyprus are further South than the Southernmost point of Turkmenistan.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on June 19, 2023, 01:17:45 PM

Agreed.  I hardly think conventional wisdom would say Spain reaches farther south than Turkmenistan.

Slightly more surprising might be that Iran reaches farther north than Lisbon, or something like that.  Even then...
Turkmenistan is a Central Asian country with I was surprised to find that it reaches further south than entire Continental Europe.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

I think Turkmenistan as a middle latitude country and Spain, Italy etc. a Southern country, so it is quite a surprise.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on June 19, 2023, 04:23:39 PM
I think Turkmenistan as a middle latitude country and Spain, Italy etc. a Southern country, so it is quite a surprise.

*shrug*  I think of Turkmenistan as the southernmost ex-SSR, dominated by desert, and Muslim-majority.  So it isn't a surprise.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: Poiponen13 on June 19, 2023, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 19, 2023, 01:17:45 PM

Turkmenistan is a Central Asian country with I was surprised to find that it reaches further south than entire Continental Europe.
You have a singular point-of-view.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Road Hog

So the Amazon River divide forms most of the northern boundary of Brazil. Who knew.

Chris

Speaking of South America, the source of the Essequibo River was not established until 2018.

The forests are extremely dense in this region, far from developed infrastructure.

The Essequibo River is a fairly major river in South America, Wikipedia lists it as the world's 53rd largest river by average discharge, and one of the largest in South America that is not part of the Amazon basin.

NWI_Irish96

Ironwood, MI, has the same longitude as Clinton, IA, and St. Louis, MO.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 29, 2023, 09:02:40 PM
Ironwood, MI, has the same longitude as Clinton, IA, and St. Louis, MO.
Would have been better had it been latitude. :D

Chris

I took a trip to Northern Norway this month.

At Grense Jakobselv, you're actually farther east than Kyiv or Istanbul.

Road Hog

Looks like you're farther east than Finland, too, which is mind-blowing.

tmthyvs

Victoria BC is further east than the entirety of the Yukon and further north than St. Johns NL.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.