News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Buc-ees outside of Texas.

Started by roadman65, June 07, 2019, 10:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Made my second visit to the beaver yesterday. The new Kentucky store was a little less crowded than when I first visited it, but there was still a good supply of customers and a steady stream of cars coming and going off I-75.

The fountain drinks are cheap -- $1.09 for an extra large cup -- but nothing else is. Gas was cheaper there than anywhere else in Richmond, but it's 30 cents cheaper 20 miles to the east in Irvine, so I waited to fill up.

There's still some novelty about the place. I had to stop on my way out of the store to keep from photobombing a couple taking a selfie with the beaver statue outside.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Louisiana may finally get its first Buc-ees, TAKE TWO.

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/2023/01/06/where-is-bucees-planning-its-first-louisiana-store/69779616007/?fbclid=IwAR3OMTC-4KTGZa1FV99-qxDDMZ1f0m7wyO9zzFd_FdcvzgeZqw7JKJAgkbs&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

If approved, this will only be 6 miles from me. The lot that it will be sitting on is directly across the road from Ruston Jr. High school. I see nasty traffic jams here when/if it is up and running.

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rTBoFs7auKog24tD6
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

epzik8

My mom who lives in the Myrtle Beach area found out about one that opened in Florence earlier this year, and when she told me about it she struggled to pronounce the name.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

clong

Another AL Bucees being built - this one near Dora, AL on I-22 at Exit 78

thspfc

Wisconsin could be getting a Buc-ees:

https://www.hngnews.com/waunakee_tribune/news/business/deforest-could-be-home-to-wisconsins-first-buc-ees-travel-center/article_b54081f8-b6e4-11ed-bb7d-c79b2ab29efd.html

The location makes sense, and I can't imagine the village of DeForest is going to turn this down. There's been a lot of money invested into property next to I-39/90/94 in that area. Pinseekers, which is like Topgolf, is about to open. A new 25-acre sports complex. A bunch of new low-rise apartment developments. All of it is easily visible from the freeway, which is no doubt on purpose.

The competition with Kwik Trip would be interesting.

JREwing78

Quote from: thspfc on February 28, 2023, 08:46:54 PM

https://www.hngnews.com/waunakee_tribune/news/business/deforest-could-be-home-to-wisconsins-first-buc-ees-travel-center/article_b54081f8-b6e4-11ed-bb7d-c79b2ab29efd.html

It's definitely well-situated and aimed directly at the audience they're seeking out. Folks on their way to the Dells will welcome the break from the traffic and kids whining "Are we there yet?". Obviously, the traffic on I-39/90/94 will support it - no problem.

I'm sure it wouldn't happen for another few years, but the old Clock Tower Resort property in Rockford, IL (I-39/90 @ Bus US-20) would be a perfect site for a Buc-ee's. I doubt, however, that they're interested in plucking down another Buc-ee's that close.

The only other place that would feel like a Buc-ee's would make sense in WI is somewhere on I-41/94 between Kenosha and Racine. Maybe the Hwy 29 interchange at I-94 west of Eau Claire?

SSOWorld

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 01, 2023, 08:41:41 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 28, 2023, 08:46:54 PM

It's definitely well-situated and aimed directly at the audience they're seeking out. Folks on their way to the Dells will welcome the break from the traffic and kids whining "Are we there yet?". Obviously, the traffic on I-39/90/94 will support it - no problem.

I'm sure it wouldn't happen for another few years, but the old Clock Tower Resort property in Rockford, IL (I-39/90 @ Bus US-20) would be a perfect site for a Buc-ee's. I doubt, however, that they're interested in plucking down another Buc-ee's that close.

The only other place that would feel like a Buc-ee's would make sense in WI is somewhere on I-41/94 between Kenosha and Racine. Maybe the Hwy 29 interchange at I-94 west of Eau Claire?
PLEASE, Let's just get used to one first.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

Virginia may be getting a location soon. I-64 at the VA 106 interchange in New Kent County.
https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/buc-ees-first-virginia-location-planned-for-new-kent/amp/
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

I'm not sure why Bucees don't build on I-49 between Alexandria and Texarkana.  There are very few interchanges with services on that part and to them they would have all the customers to themselves.

Even build one at US 82 in Texarkana as right now there are still yet no services along I-49 in that city without exiting at I-30 to head west.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

^ I'm guessing because the traffic volumes on I-49 outside of Shreveport, both north and south of the city is between around 8,000 - 12,000 AADT. There's certainly no demand for something like a Buc-ees.

If services are needed, how about a Loves, Pilot, or other truck stop? That can also serve... trucks.

roadman65

I-22 in AL would be virgin territory for them.  Build one near Hamilton or Jasper as I-22 is pretty well traveled now through there.

Sheryl Crowe

rlb2024

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 07, 2023, 08:39:29 AM
^ I'm guessing because the traffic volumes on I-49 outside of Shreveport, both north and south of the city is between around 8,000 - 12,000 AADT. There's certainly no demand for something like a Buc-ees.

If services are needed, how about a Loves, Pilot, or other truck stop? That can also serve... trucks.
Love's is building a location on I-49 about 25 miles or so south of Shreveport.  Not sure when it will open but the building looked almost complete this past weekend when we drove through there.

Georgia

If they are building on I-22 near Dora, that would be the perfect spot.  That is after all the Arkadelphia Road traffic hops on 22 at the old terminus of the interstate so should be about as busy as that stretch gets.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

wriddle082

I-22 in Alabama is greatly lacking in fuel options off of most exits.  Even along the stretches closer to the Mississippi line that have been around since at least the 90's.  I recall only seeing one Love's truck stop at an exit near Jasper (and I was getting close to running out) and maybe a few other stations that likely weren't close to the highway itself but we're along the old two lane former US 78.

The Mississippi portion of I-22 doesn't seem to have this problem as most of it is older, and the Holly Springs, New Albany, and Fulton areas each have plenty of gas/food/lodging close to the highway (and much of Tupelo's development seems to be along the US 45 freeway exits).

A Buc-ee's anywhere along I-22 in Alabama wound not only be welcome, but might attract more attention to all of the other lonely exits along that stretch of highway.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 12, 2022, 05:18:55 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 06, 2022, 02:01:32 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on April 05, 2022, 09:52:35 PM
There's talk of a Buc-ee's making a first time appearance in Colorado somewhere south of Denver along the I-25 corridor...
It would probably be in or near Colorado Springs, since it'd be in between the capital city and Pueblo.

It's north of Denver off I-25 in Johnstown.

I drove by this the other day. Construction is moving along pretty quickly. I see reports of a '24 opening date, but I wouldn't be surprised if they beat that deadline.

bugo

Looks like they could be coming into the central Arkansas area. I was talking to my non-road enthusiast friend, and we decided that the first exit on I-49 north of I-40 in Alma, and on MO 59 just south of the I-44/49 split in Fidelity would be good locations for expansion. Both of those locations would serve two major Interstate highways. These stores are considered destinations, and would get customers from NWA as it is a short drive through the tunnel. Big Cabin, OK would be another possibility as it would serve both I-44 traffic and the traffic that peels south on US 69 towards McAlester and Dallas.

https://www.fox16.com/news/local-news/signs-point-to-buc-ees-travel-center-coming-to-arkansas/

MikieTimT

Quote from: bugo on August 01, 2023, 01:08:27 AM
Looks like they could be coming into the central Arkansas area. I was talking to my non-road enthusiast friend, and we decided that the first exit on I-49 north of I-40 in Alma, and on MO 59 just south of the I-44/49 split in Fidelity would be good locations for expansion. Both of those locations would serve two major Interstate highways. These stores are considered destinations, and would get customers from NWA as it is a short drive through the tunnel. Big Cabin, OK would be another possibility as it would serve both I-44 traffic and the traffic that peels south on US 69 towards McAlester and Dallas.

https://www.fox16.com/news/local-news/signs-point-to-buc-ees-travel-center-coming-to-arkansas/

While I think that Alma certainly would warrant something like a Buc-ee's, the issue with the Collum Ln. exit is that they would have to build a ways from the Interstate to pull it off.  The ramps on that exit are rather constrained and long as it is, and the reason is because of the 100 year floodplain through there, which is why it isn't built up with housing already.  Frog Bayou isn't very far from the Arkansas River at this point, and it gets backed up into Alma with regularity.  This is what makes the missing link of I-49 from Alma to Barling so difficult and expensive as well.  There would likely need to be another exit created to pull it off in the Alma area, either on I-40, or on I-49, likely at one of the current overpasses without an exit within a couple of miles of the partially built stack.

I could also see a good location for one in about 7-10 years in Springdale east of the I-49/AR-612 stack that's going to extend the Springdale Northern Bypass eastward within the next 5 years.

rlb2024

Quote from: rlb2024 on March 07, 2023, 03:36:07 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 07, 2023, 08:39:29 AM

Love's is building a location on I-49 about 25 miles or so south of Shreveport.  Not sure when it will open but the building looked almost complete this past weekend when we drove through there.
The Love's on I-49 south of Shreveport is open.  It's at the US 84 interchange (Exit 172 -- Mansfield/Grand Bayou).

Dirt Roads

North Carolina rumor returns to my neck-of-the-woods:  Buc-ee's is now looking at Mebane for possible development of a property at the Trollingwood Road exit of I-85/I-40 (Exit 152).  This post from WGHP in Greensboro indicates that there would be revenue sharing between Mebane and Graham (although the Graham city limits are nowhere near this exit, it appears that some of Graham's extra-jurisdictional territory (EJT) extends to part of the tract that Buc-ee's might purchase. 

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/north-carolinas-first-buc-ees-possibly-coming-to-the-piedmont-triad/

This is only a 32+ acres property at a single exit, whereas the original Efland tracts combined for over 104 acres nestled between two exits.  But the Mebane location is proposed to have a 50,000 sf structure, whereas the one originally proposed at Efland was originally 63,000+ sf (reduced after Orange County requested changes).

The Durham Herald-Sun (posted at MSN) has an interesting article comparing the two proposals.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/has-buc-ees-found-a-site-for-its-1st-nc-store-read-about-the-latest-plans-here/ar-AA1djarD

Road Hog

Quote from: bugo on August 01, 2023, 01:08:27 AM

Buc-ee's might need its own exit there. TxDOT ended up building one for Buc-ee's when it reconstructed US 75 in Melissa.

SkyPesos

https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news/buc-ees-coming-to-huber-heights/amp/

I think this is the first Bucc-ees that got as far north as the I-70 corridor. Enjoy your beaver nuggets closer to home :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.