News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Automakers Are Starting to Drop AM Radio in New Cars. Here's Why

Started by ZLoth, July 07, 2022, 05:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on April 16, 2023, 11:23:32 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 16, 2023, 09:15:00 AM

Quote from: 1 on April 16, 2023, 09:10:48 AM
Are there any frequencies that should not be able to be tuned into, or would it be fine for any station to be allowed at all? For example, various frequencies around 121 FM get airports, which is legal in the US as long as you're not speaking into a two-way radio. I'm not sure if any frequencies allow Sirius XM without paying.

(Interestingly, one of the hangars at Lawrence Municipal Airport says "FUEL 122.85" on the front near the top. I thought it was radio station while I was there, and I may still be right, but it turns out that the elevation of the airport is also about this number, so I'm not so sure.)

That's a radio frequency.  Not sure if it's still in use given current docs at Lawrence.

https://skyvector.com/airport/LWM/Lawrence-Municipal-Airport

Tune in, turn out, fuel up.
Well, yes, that's what I saw.  I'm probably missing it somewhere in there, but I don't see 122.85 in there -- only 122.8 UNICOM.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: 1 on April 16, 2023, 09:10:48 AM
Are there any frequencies that should not be able to be tuned into, or would it be fine for any station to be allowed at all?

Back in the day of analog cell phones, their frequencies were banned in the US, but I don't know if that rule is still enforced now.

The National Association of Broadcasters should be moving heaven and earth to put more HD radios in the hands of consumers.  European consumers can easily buy radios with DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) but I haven't had much luck finding a portable HD radio with Bluetooth for myself.  I found on Amazon a 2006 new old stock radio with bad rechargeable batteries.  The review section complained about how the batteries failed after just a few charge cycles.  Since most AM stations simulcast on their FM sister stations' HD streams, HD radios would be a good workaround for the death of AM.

They must figure most consumers would just stream stations on their phones, but HD access is good for one thing: I could continue to listen to baseball games for free at work where I can't receive AM stations.  It costs $10 a month to subscribe to a Major League Baseball audio package, and last year they had poor board op monitoring of the games, inserting three minute + ad blocks into games that are supposed to have 90 second breaks.  I can live without the games until I know for sure they have fixed the problem.

ZLoth

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on April 18, 2023, 11:02:31 PM
The National Association of Broadcasters should be moving heaven and earth to put more HD radios in the hands of consumers.  European consumers can easily buy radios with DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) but I haven't had much luck finding a portable HD radio with Bluetooth for myself.

Good luck with that. I plugged in the ZIP code for where I live in North Dallas in the HD Radio site and got ZERO stations. The only way I got a list was to plug in the zip code of 75223. Then, what I saw was four AM stations (three in Spanish) in HD, plus about twenty-five stations broadcasting in HD (not including the sub-channels). Unlike the transition from analog to digital television, there is no frequencies to be reclaimed and resold with any transition to digital. Didn't General Motors drop support for HD Radios in their vehicles back in 2015? It's more viable for the broadcaster to be streaming the audio through a App or Website.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: ZLoth on April 19, 2023, 05:02:55 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on April 18, 2023, 11:02:31 PM
The National Association of Broadcasters should be moving heaven and earth to put more HD radios in the hands of consumers.  European consumers can easily buy radios with DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) but I haven't had much luck finding a portable HD radio with Bluetooth for myself.

Good luck with that. I plugged in the ZIP code for where I live in North Dallas in the HD Radio site and got ZERO stations. The only way I got a list was to plug in the zip code of 75223. Then, what I saw was four AM stations (three in Spanish) in HD, plus about twenty-five stations broadcasting in HD (not including the sub-channels). Unlike the transition from analog to digital television, there is no frequencies to be reclaimed and resold with any transition to digital. Didn't General Motors drop support for HD Radios in their vehicles back in 2015? It's more viable for the broadcaster to be streaming the audio through a App or Website.

If the National Association of Broadcasters cares about the local broadcast model, they will try to conduct an orderly transition to digital.  If all stations go to streaming, then they're competing against podcasts and anyone who can set up a stream anywhere in the world.  The only advantage stations would have is that they can license ASCAP and BMI music, and they'll sic the music rights companies on the smaller streamers.  That worked so well when the RIAA did the same to consumers not long ago.

Ted$8roadFan

ZLoth

Quote from: SectorZ on May 04, 2023, 10:17:18 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 04, 2023, 09:45:44 AM
Senator Ed Markey is trying to stop the removal: https://www.wpri.com/target-12/sen-markey-battles-tesla-ford-over-decision-to-stop-putting-am-radio-in-all-cars/

:rolleyes:

Oh, that's right, because you can't receive AM radio stations in any other manner other than your car radio. :-D And, there are absolutely no other alternatives to get a AM station. :crazy:

The Emergency Alert System is a "voluntary" mandatory system. So, if the Primary/Secondary EAS station issues a EAS alert, all of the other TV, AM, and FM stations along with the cable providers have to stop what they are doing, drop whatever they are broadcasting, and roll with broadcasting that alert. You can take a look at the enforcement actions that the FCC has taken when a station had a non-functioning EAS unit or when the EAS signal was used as part of commercial. Plus, in a severe situation, the FM stations have rebroadcast their AM counterpart.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Road Hog

Of course Ed Markey is for keeping AM radio in his home territory where blue talk radio rules. But in the other 90% of the country, the opposite holds.

SectorZ

Quote from: Road Hog on May 08, 2023, 01:04:54 AM
Of course Ed Markey is for keeping AM radio in his home territory where blue talk radio rules. But in the other 90% of the country, the opposite holds.

You would assume that's how it works in Massachusetts, but you would be wrong. The only explicitly blue talk radio I've had around me was whatever Air America affiliate we had.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on May 08, 2023, 12:51:57 PM

You would assume that's how it works in Massachusetts, but you would be wrong. The only explicitly blue talk radio I've had around me was whatever Air America affiliate we had.
My word.  Dan Yorke is still around?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ZLoth

From Radio World:

5 Ways to Turn AM Radio Around
"Challenge assumptions and question every tactic," says Gary Begin

FULL ARTICLE HERE

All right then....

skluth

Quote from: SectorZ on May 08, 2023, 12:51:57 PM

Don't confuse him with facts. That would destroy his narrative.

Ted$8roadFan

Actually, saving AM radio is (at least on its face) a bipartisan effort. Naturally, the rationales for doing so are different.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/17/23727341/cars-am-radio-ev-senate-bill-markey-cruz

Thing 342

For those wondering about the economics of AM radio, a daytime-only AM (with a low-power FM repeater) station in my area was recently sold to WNRN for $310k: https://rbr.com/an-old-dominion-adult-alternative-operator-grows/

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 20, 2023, 01:45:04 PM
Actually, saving AM radio is (at least on its face) a bipartisan effort. Naturally, the rationales for doing so are different.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/17/23727341/cars-am-radio-ev-senate-bill-markey-cruz

I guess automakers could have AM radios installed in the cars...but with the interference from other equipment, the occupants wouldn't be able to hear it anyway.

golden eagle

SectorZ

Quote from: golden eagle on May 25, 2023, 10:34:09 PM
Ford to keep AM radios in cars:

https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/23/ford-to-keep-am-radio-in-cars-after-pressure-from-lawmakers/

"Software update" to put them back in the F150 Lightning and Mustang Wall-E. So, you mean the AM radios have been there the whole time, but "fuck you, we intended on charging $8/month until Ted Cruz scared us so now you're getting it back"?

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on May 26, 2023, 06:53:58 AM

https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/23/ford-to-keep-am-radio-in-cars-after-pressure-from-lawmakers/

"Software update" to put them back in the F150 Lightning and Mustang Wall-E. So, you mean the AM radios have been there the whole time, but "fuck you, we intended on charging $8/month until Ted Cruz scared us so now you're getting it back"?

It's possible that the cars were designed to allow any frequency, the user could select just the FM range before, and now the user can select the AM and FM ranges (but still not others like those used for air traffic control).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2023, 06:58:43 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 26, 2023, 06:53:58 AM

It's possible that the cars were designed to allow any frequency, the user could select just the FM range before, and now the user can select the AM and FM ranges (but still not others like those used for air traffic control).
Some flavor of SDR, possibly with off the specs tricks to get AM. Possibly with no quality...

Dirt Roads

It has been eluded to earlier in this thread, but the main issue with AM radio in automobiles that have large inverters is RFI (radio frequency interface, in this case a subset of electromagnetic interference resonating down in the audio range and low radio bandwidths).  From my [rail transit] point of view, it is an easy fix:  just slap a cheap Faraday cage around the inverter.  In automotive terms, that Faraday cage eats up a little bit of very precious space, but moreover, it makes maintenance access to the inverter system very complicated.

I'm not as familiar with the FCC interference rules as I ought to have been.  But in a nutshell, the electronics industry handles the two main sections of RFI/EFI differently.  Ergo, (A) they [try] to avoid interference with other people's stuff by mitigating the effective distance that RFI/EFI can have an impact; and (B) they [must] avoid interference with their own stuff.  One way to avoid interference with your own stuff is to eliminate the "gizmos" that are most prone to suffering from RFI/EFI. 

I occasionally use the AM band in my search of old-timey Bluegrass music.  I can immediately tell which truckers have a huge inverter on their big rig, because I lose the AM station to major league interference while I am in close proximity to the cab.  None of these appear to be battery-powered trucks, so I assume that they've got a bunch of electronics hooked in (such as satellite TV/Internet and other data services).  Additionally, some manufacturers now provide large battery backups for HVAC systems (Freightliner claims a 10-hour HVAC backup).

kalvado

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 26, 2023, 12:37:32 PM
It has been eluded to earlier in this thread, but the main issue with AM radio in automobiles that have large inverters is RFI (radio frequency interface, in this case a subset of electromagnetic interference resonating down in the audio range and low radio bandwidths).  From my [rail transit] point of view, it is an easy fix:  just slap a cheap Faraday cage around the inverter.  In automotive terms, that Faraday cage eats up a little bit of very precious space, but moreover, it makes maintenance access to the inverter system very complicated.

I'm not as familiar with the FCC interference rules as I ought to have been.  But in a nutshell, the electronics industry handles the two main sections of RFI/EFI differently.  Ergo, (A) they [try] to avoid interference with other people's stuff by mitigating the effective distance that RFI/EFI can have an impact; and (B) they [must] avoid interference with their own stuff.  One way to avoid interference with your own stuff is to eliminate the "gizmos" that are most prone to suffering from RFI/EFI. 

I occasionally use the AM band in my search of old-timey Bluegrass music.  I can immediately tell which truckers have a huge inverter on their big rig, because I lose the AM station to major league interference while I am in close proximity to the cab.  None of these appear to be battery-powered trucks, so I assume that they've got a bunch of electronics hooked in (such as satellite TV/Internet and other data services).  Additionally, some manufacturers now provide large battery backups for HVAC systems (Freightliner claims a 10-hour HVAC backup).
Faraday cage works for electric field, but screening out magnetic field is much more difficult. Given most AM  use magnetic ferrite antenna... I doubt mu-metal shield is anything close to affordable in the car world.

ZLoth

From Twins Daily (posted as satire):

With TV Rights in Flux, Twins Urge Parents to Explain AM Radio to Young Fans
While the expiration of the Twins' TV contract is leading to a lot of agitation about the team's 2024 payroll, there's also some concern within the organization about where people can follow next year's games.

"I'm confident that we'll have a presence on television next year," said a front office source. "But we have to be prepared for all possible outcomes."

If that outcome doesn't extend beyond the team's current radio broadcasts, team officials say they're laying the groundwork for a vigorous educational outreach program about the audio-only format.

"AM radio has a loyal base of listeners—shut-ins, reactionaries, those who fear change, residents of unlicensed nursing homes—but that base skews older," said the source. "We need to let our younger fans know that an alternative to TV and streaming exists. Their parents are our greatest tool."
SATIRICAL ARTICLE HERE

ZLoth

From GM Authority:

EV AM Radio Integration Will Cost Billons, Study Finds
QuoteA new study by the Center for Automotive Research indicates the shielding and filtering needed to prevent the electromagnetic field of EV systems from interfering with analog AM radio signals could cost billions of dollars to implement.

As reported by CarGroup, the study was conducted because of political plans to require automakers to include AM radio equipment in their EV models to receive emergency broadcasts.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

From Inside Radio:

NAB Says 2.2 Pounds Isn't A Heavy Burden To Keep AM Radio In Dashboards
QuoteHow much does the fix for AM radio in electric vehicles weigh? Not much, considering how much an EV weighs. That is the message from the National Association of Broadcasters, dispelling some of the arguments raised this week by the auto industry trying to block a bill in Congress that would require AM radio receivers in vehicles.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

ZLoth

From Car and Driver:

Don't Touch That Dial: AM Car Radio Is Not Dead Yet
Not if the U.S. Congress has anything to say about it. The lawmakers want it mandated in all vehicles so it can be used for emergency and safety notifications.

• The AM For Every Vehicle Act is close to passing, making broadcast AM capability a requirement in new cars sold in the United States.
  • The Act has wide support in both Senate and Congress, on both sides of the aisle.
  • Proponents say passing the Act is about providing emergency services or free speech. But there is a cost to manufacturers.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

S.1669 - AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act of 2023

kalvado

Quote from: ZLoth on February 07, 2024, 09:10:17 AM
From Car and Driver:

Don't Touch That Dial: AM Car Radio Is Not Dead Yet
Not if the U.S. Congress has anything to say about it. The lawmakers want it mandated in all vehicles so it can be used for emergency and safety notifications.

• The AM For Every Vehicle Act is close to passing, making broadcast AM capability a requirement in new cars sold in the United States.
  • The Act has wide support in both Senate and Congress, on both sides of the aisle.
  • Proponents say passing the Act is about providing emergency services or free speech. But there is a cost to manufacturers.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
They should amend it with handcrank included with every car for emergency starts.  Also ban LED lights and EVs while we're at this. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.