News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New area codes: Split, overlay, or meh?

Started by hbelkins, January 04, 2023, 07:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When a new area code is created, which method do you prefer?

A split -- all numbers within a certain geographical area change area codes
16 (27.6%)
An overlay -- existing numbers keep the same area code but new numbers get the new area code
32 (55.2%)
Matters not to me
10 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

hbelkins

Spun off from the "Telephone Numbers" thread.

Which method do you prefer for the institution of a new area code? Do you prefer a split, an overlay, or just don't care?

For me, I prefer an overlay. It eliminates the need for businesses to have to change their advertising materials, or for people to have to notify a bunch of people and places where they do business that they have a new number.

When the 606 area code in Kentucky split into 606 and 859, there was a pretty intense debate on which area should get the new code. An argument was made that 606 should remain in the eastern part of the state, because businesses there could not afford to make the change as easily as their counterparts in the Bluegrass area of the state. A reverse argument was made that there were more people and businesses in the new 859 area that would have to make the change, and it would be easier to make the change in the east.

I don't think that an overlay was ever considered. I would have preferred an overlay, but some said that it would require 10-digit-dialing for local calls instead of seven-digit dialing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

I used to prefer split, but I no longer have a strong opinion on the matter.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2023, 07:28:18 PM
I used to prefer split, but I no longer have a strong opinion on the matter.
I did too until recently. I can't see the 630 being split into 3 areas.
I think just overlaying now is the way to go.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

DTComposer

I also used to prefer splits, but don't have a strong opinion anymore.

That said, since so many people are keeping their phone numbers when they move to different parts of the country, in hindsight I wish the system could have been arranged so that land lines and businesses (i.e., numbers that are tied to a geographic location) kept the "old" area codes (splitting as necessary), while personal mobile lines got the "new" area codes that could be assigned nationwide.

So in the Bay Area, for example, 415, 408, 510, and 707 could have been kept for land lines and businesses, with 650 and 925 held in reserve, while 628, 669, 369, and 341 could go into the nationwide pool for personal mobile lines. There's about 95 overlay codes currently in use; assuming about 7,500,000 usable numbers per code, that's over two mobile numbers for every person in the country. At current growth rates we'd need to add one overlay code about every two years, which seems reasonable.

davewiecking

Without moving, I've been through one split (301/410) and 2 overlays (240 and 227 added to 301; 443 and 667 added to 410). 10 digit dialing became mandatory with the 1991 split-formerly I could also call DC or NoVa using 7 digits. Much prefer overlays (added in 1991 and 2012), especially since 10 digit dialing was ingrained by then.

US 89

10 digit dialing has been ubiquitous in most large and mid-size metropolitan areas for years, and now in most rural areas too with the introduction of the 988 suicide hotline.

Personally, I like the geographic specificity that splits give you. I don't mind overlays when they're used in urban areas, but huge whole state overlays like 208/986 in Idaho do annoy me.

cu2010

We got an overlay here a few years ago, but in reality, I don't actually dial any numbers, let alone 10. I just tell my cell phone to "call suchandsuch" and boom, there they are.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

CtrlAltDel

For me, it's largely a question of the size of the area code. If it's an area code that covers a state, for example, I think splitting is the best thing to do. If it's an area code in a metropolitan area, I'd go with the overlay.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 04, 2023, 10:09:08 PM
For me, it's largely a question of the size of the area code. If it's an area code that covers a state, for example, I think splitting is the best thing to do. If it's an area code in a metropolitan area, I'd go with the overlay.

I concur.  I really thought that West Virginia would never require another area code, but was even more surprised when Area Code 681 was set up as an overlay.  The main issue was that the entire state had adopted "The Three-Oh-Four" as a slogan that unified the Mountain State.

JREwing78

The overlays are less disruptive, for sure. As much as people get an identity from their area code, that identity has become increasingly irrelevant.

ilpt4u

618 in Southern Illinois is getting an overlay of 730 in July 2023

I think 618 could have been split, mostly Metro East/IL suburban STL versus "the rest"  of more rural Southern Illinois, but that is not how the Illinois Commerce Commission (Illinois's Public Utility Regulator) has chosen to proceed

618 already has 10 digit dialing due to the "988"  suicide prevention hotline, so overlays aren't really that disruptive anymore

bandit957

Back before cellphones and programmable phones were common, I preferred a split. But when they split ours, the local media raised a humongous stink. They thought it was the greatest injustice in the history of the world.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

J N Winkler

I liked the fact that Kansas received its new area codes in the 1990's through a split rather than an overlay (913 became 785 except outside the Kansas City area, 316 became 620 except in the Wichita area), as that preserved seven-digit local dialing when most people still used landlines.  I do accept that (as others note) things have changed, with widespread use of cellphones with programmable address books.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

thenetwork

With more and more people using cell phones vs. Land-line phones, long-distance "toll" calls becoming a thing of the past, and more places requiring you to dial the area code (with or without the "1-"), it really doesn't matter much to me. 

Especially with cell phones.  Someone could have a cell phone with a California Area code number, but lives in New York.  Most phone plans pretty much treat all calls in the US as unlimited "local" calls.

achilles765

I used to prefer splits but with cell phones, Google voice numbers, and the fact that people can keep a number when moving all over the country, it matters less.
Overlay codes are definitely best for like major cities. I live in Houston and have an 832 number. I really wish I had a 713 but those are extraordinarily now. I've had a 281 before but those are also rare now.
I refuse to ever have a number with the newest area code though. 346 is for recent transplants and not people like me who have been here for 15 years.
It used to be that 713 was for inside the 610 loop, and 281 outside of it. Then 713 was spread to inside the beltway. I think it's more or less still somewhat that way, with 832 and 346 being overlays. But then the Houston area also includes a lot of areas that are in the 936, 979, and 409 area codes too.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

kalvado

Quote from: bandit957 on January 04, 2023, 11:09:11 PM
Back before cellphones and programmable phones were common, I preferred a split. But when they split ours, the local media raised a humongous stink. They thought it was the greatest injustice in the history of the world.
The only time media would be in favor of something is when instructed to do so by the party editor belongs to.
Splits give people in new area code a short straw, now they have to explicitly change their contact information in many places, so overlay may be less disruptive and controversial. With area code becoming "where you lived in 2005 of at age of 14" thing, using area code for marketing and identity is becoming pointless anyway

1995hoo

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 04, 2023, 10:09:08 PM

In general, I agree with this. In principle, I like the idea of a split and of preserving seven-digit dialing, but in practice that's often impractical because it would result in such minuscule area code areas. When 571 was overlain on 703, that was the reason given–703 had already become much smaller when 540 was split off, and they decided they couldn't just keep shrinking the area.

The advantage to an overlay is that everyone can keep his current number(s).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: JREwing78 on January 04, 2023, 10:50:07 PM
As much as people get an identity from their area code, that identity has become increasingly irrelevant.

In my experience, that isn't really a thing for most people these days.

Quote from: davewiecking on January 04, 2023, 09:15:18 PM
10 digit dialing became mandatory with the 1991 split-formerly I could also call DC or NoVa using 7 digits.

Heh.  I was using 4-digit dialing in 1991.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Hampshire Rd. in Methuen MA and Salem NH, which crosses several times, has multiple businesses. Extend this to the nearby businesses on Route 28. The area code is an identifier for which state the business is in, which doesn't always match the side of the street. Of course, being across a state line, split/overlay is irrelevant here, but the area code is definitely useful.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

1995hoo

Quote from: davewiecking on January 04, 2023, 09:15:18 PM
.... 10 digit dialing became mandatory with the 1991 split-formerly I could also call DC or NoVa using 7 digits. Much prefer overlays (added in 1991 and 2012), especially since 10 digit dialing was ingrained by then.

The requirement that you dial the area code to call DC or Virginia was a different issue not directly related to area code splits. That happened in 1990, about a year prior to the 301/410 split. The problem was that allowing local calls between 703, 202, and 301 without using the area code meant that an exchanged used in one area code could not be used in one of the others unless it were restricted to a long-distance location. For example, a 202-633-#### exchange meant that if there were a 703-633-####, it couldn't be in the DC area and would have to be assigned to someplace further away. Eliminating the ability to 7-digit dial across local area codes freed up the exchanges for local use, but it turned out to be a short-term solution because there was so much demand for new numbers and that's where further area code splits and overlays became necessary.

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 10:19:16 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on January 04, 2023, 10:50:07 PM
As much as people get an identity from their area code, that identity has become increasingly irrelevant.

In my experience, that isn't really a thing for most people these days.

Within the last few years the DC government has been running ad campaigns referring to the city as "the 202," which was kind of odd timing given that the city just got an overlay area code (771) in April 2021.

Apparently in southeast Virginia it's popular among certain demographics to call the area "the 757."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 05, 2023, 10:22:24 AM
Hampshire Rd. in Methuen MA and Salem NH, which crosses several times, has multiple businesses. Extend this to the nearby businesses on Route 28. The area code is an identifier for which state the business is in, which doesn't always match the side of the street. Of course, being across a state line, split/overlay is irrelevant here, but the area code is definitely useful.

Why does it important to determine what state each business is in when looking up its phone number?
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

Unless they force everyone back to rotary phones, I don't care

hobsini2

In my 40+ years of living in my humble suburb of Chicago, we have had 312, 708, and 630 as splits. 331 was added as an overlay.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 11:10:50 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 05, 2023, 10:22:24 AM

Why does it important to determine what state each business is in when looking up its phone number?
Depends on business. Pizza shop has to be nearby, plumber or electrician has to be nearby and maybe required to be licensed...

bing101

Overlay works out for me

369/707

415/628
916/279 are ones near my house.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.