News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New area codes: Split, overlay, or meh?

Started by hbelkins, January 04, 2023, 07:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When a new area code is created, which method do you prefer?

A split -- all numbers within a certain geographical area change area codes
16 (27.6%)
An overlay -- existing numbers keep the same area code but new numbers get the new area code
32 (55.2%)
Matters not to me
10 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on March 14, 2023, 12:00:04 PM
Old number can be kept to cell line in many cases, but new numbers would be new. That will eventually dilute area code identity without too much drama - or what else can you do? Collecting crumbs of non-assigned numbers across the area is only that efficient. So spreading out impact over time is the best bet IMHO.

Can you even collect them by the crumb?  At least, the way it used to be is that numbers were assigned to carriers in blocks.  That is to say, XYZ Phone Company can't just be assigned 123-555-2010, 123-555-6116, and 123-555-9924 from LMNO Phone Company.  Rather, they can be assigned 123-555-2010 through 123-555-2210, minus whatever numbers are already in use somewhere.  If a customer drops a number, then that number stays assigned to the same provider until it gets assigned to a new customer with the same provider later.  With increased portability, it's possible things have changed, but I'm not sure.

But anyway, I agree that 'area code identity' should be no basis for making area code changes, and that overlays are probably the best system to use.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2023, 12:10:41 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 14, 2023, 12:00:04 PM
Old number can be kept to cell line in many cases, but new numbers would be new. That will eventually dilute area code identity without too much drama - or what else can you do? Collecting crumbs of non-assigned numbers across the area is only that efficient. So spreading out impact over time is the best bet IMHO.

Can you even collect them by the crumb?  At least, the way it used to be is that numbers were assigned to carriers in blocks.  That is to say, XYZ Phone Company can't just be assigned 123-555-2010, 123-555-6116, and 123-555-9924 from LMNO Phone Company.  Rather, they can be assigned 123-555-2010 through 123-555-2210, minus whatever numbers are already in use somewhere.  If a customer drops a number, then that number stays assigned to the same provider until it gets assigned to a new customer with the same provider later.  With increased portability, it's possible things have changed, but I'm not sure.

But anyway, I agree that 'area code identity' should be no basis for making area code changes, and that overlays are probably the best system to use.
There may be defunct companies who didn't release their blocks properly, there may be subblocks within assigned block  company will be willing to release. Minimum assignment block was also reduced, AFAIK, so technically at least something is possible  Is it cost efficient? 
I don't know, I suspect not really worth it.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kalvado on March 14, 2023, 10:35:29 AM
Charging a bit for  THE number may be a good way for phone companies to make some money, if that is legal. To some extent this is similar to vanity license plates - those who want can pay a bit more, but things work  for everyone else as well.
I thought charges could be applied to get mostly unavailable numbers, like a 212 (original Manhattan area code, which was out of numbers 20 years ago). Could have sworn I read there is a way to " buy"  a 212 number

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on March 14, 2023, 12:14:37 PM
There may be defunct companies who didn't release their blocks properly, there may be subblocks within assigned block  company will be willing to release. Minimum assignment block was also reduced, AFAIK, so technically at least something is possible  Is it cost efficient? 
I don't know, I suspect not really worth it.

You mean that a block of numbers from a defunct company aren't automatically dropped back into the pool?  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

As for sub-blocks, I'm sure there are some that providers would be willing to release.  But then that gets at your cost-efficiency question.  While the man-hours required to release a number from one provider back into the pool and out again is theoretically small, who would be ones to identify which sub-blocks those are?  And how often would they do that scrubbing?  And do we really assume the release would go seamlessly every time?  The cost-efficiency just seems to drop further and further the more I think about it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

golden eagle

Overlay, due to no real disruption to active phone numbers.

abefroman329

Between cell phones and VOIP, overlay seems to make a lot more sense.

mrsman

How many people even dial numbers anymore?  My most frequent calls are on my phone's contact list.  Many people use cell phones and even many of my neighbors do not have "local" phones, since they acquired their phones when they were living in another city. 

It seems best to just overlay, so that nobody has to change their phone numbers.

Bruce

Most of my calls are to businesses and services, often found through Google listings. They might offer an online option, but the experience is usually so terrible that it's faster to go through the phone tree (especially with the neat tricks my phone can do, like auto-hold and displaying the menu in text form).

If I need to contact friends and family, I'm using an instant messaging service (or their call feature) rather than a normal phone call, which would be ignored for spam.

JayhawkCO

I didn't see a thread specifically about new area codes, but the 970 area code which covers northern and western Colorado is getting an overlay in 2026 - 748. It will be Colorado's sixth area code after 303, 719, 970, 720, and the yet to implemented (to my knowledge) 983.

1995hoo

Quote from: mrsman on July 11, 2023, 05:46:32 PM
How many people even dial numbers anymore?  My most frequent calls are on my phone's contact list.  Many people use cell phones and even many of my neighbors do not have "local" phones, since they acquired their phones when they were living in another city. 

It seems best to just overlay, so that nobody has to change their phone numbers.

I dial phone numbers fairly regularly when I use my office phone.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 20, 2023, 03:00:17 PM

Your office still has rotary phones? :bigass:

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on December 20, 2023, 03:14:47 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 20, 2023, 03:00:17 PM

Your office still has rotary phones? :bigass:

Heh. Nice one. What reasonably concise alternative expression would you use to describe the process of punching the number buttons on a touch-tone phone?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

geek11111

Early 1990s is the best chance to upgrade to 8 digit under populous area codes. It's the time when enough splits had been done, and before the cellphone comes out.
If NYC expands 212 and 718 into 8 digits at the time 917 came out, then they only need these two until foreseeable future.
Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Dlaoooooooooooooooooooooo

Ted$8roadFan

Road Hog

The 327 overlay just went into effect in the 870 in Arkansas. That'll be confusing for me because 327 was one of the exchange codes for Conway.

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on March 03, 2024, 12:25:34 AM
The 327 overlay just went into effect in the 870 in Arkansas. That'll be confusing for me because 327 was one of the exchange codes for Conway.

If it like 430 over 903, it will be decades before any significant amount of people have phones with that AC.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.