News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Layoffs at Tesla

Started by bing101, April 16, 2024, 01:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Apparently 10% of Tesla is cut from their operations. Also the issue here is that Elon Musk is the CEO of multiple companies at the same time how does he manage all of his operations from SpaceX, Tesla, and X.  Also he comes off as overrated depending on which companies the news is talking about at that time.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/teslas-senior-battery-executive-exits-company-2024-04-15/

https://apnews.com/article/tesla-layoff-workforce-sales-decline-ee35abc216b5aeb222068500b916ef14

jeffandnicole

It appears there's about 140k employees with Tesla. They did a round of layoff in 2022 also. At the end of 2021 Tesla employed about 100k, and quickly grew after that, including after those layoffs.

It should be noted that other large US car manufacturers have announced layoffs recently also.

SEWIGuy

Layoffs aren't always an indication of a company's poor health. Companies are often over-staffed in certain areas, and laying people off allows them to hire in others - like Tesla did a couple years ago.

But EVs are slowing down. Interest rates are high which means cars cost more for people who borrow. This really isn't surprising.

As for Musk, he has always been more of a visionary than an operational leader. (Twitter aside - that was just a bad idea that has been executed poorly.)

1995hoo

Regarding Musk, I'm 36 percent of the way through Walter Isaacson's biography of him. It's a very interesting read. Worth getting a copy if you're interested in Tesla, SpaceX, or Musk generally. I had previously read Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs and I found it worthwhile, so when I saw he had written one about Musk I decided to read that as well.

(Back in 2017 or so I read an earlier Musk biography by Ashlee Vance. It was a good read as well, but Isaacson's is far more up-to-date given the whole Twitter saga of the last few years, Tesla's rollout of additional vehicle models, SpaceX's manned missions, and the Boring Company. The line in that one that stands out to me was when he talked about Musk's penchant for setting unrealistic deadlines and not recognizing that people cannot simply work nonstop without breaks. A colleague told Mush something along the lines of, "Look, Elon, sometimes a person just has to take a really big dump.")

Anyone who is considering buying a Tesla ought to consider renting one from Hertz for a couple of days before taking the plunge. The driving experience is very different from a conventional car, and not just because of the electrification and the "one-pedal driving." Just about everything, and I do mean everything, runs through the touchscreen. I think I read that in the newest vehicles (including the newest iterations of existing models) they're even trying to eliminate the two stalks on the steering column that you use to shift gears, activate the turn signals, and operate the windshield wipers.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

This isn't particularly surprising as a) the EV market gets more saturated and b) Elon continues to alienate his core demographic through some of his random outbursts and political stances.

bing101

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 16, 2024, 09:35:53 AMRegarding Musk, I'm 36 percent of the way through Walter Isaacson's biography of him. It's a very interesting read. Worth getting a copy if you're interested in Tesla, SpaceX, or Musk generally. I had previously read Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs and I found it worthwhile, so when I saw he had written one about Musk I decided to read that as well.
(Back in 2017 or so I read an earlier Musk biography by Ashlee Vance. It was a good read as well, but Isaacson's is far more up-to-date given the whole Twitter saga of the last few years, Tesla's rollout of additional vehicle models, SpaceX's manned missions, and the Boring Company. The line in that one that stands out to me was when he talked about Musk's penchant for setting unrealistic deadlines and not recognizing that people cannot simply work nonstop without breaks. A colleague told Mush something along the lines of, "Look, Elon, sometimes a person just has to take a really big dump.")
Anyone who is considering buying a Tesla ought to consider renting one from Hertz for a couple of days before taking the plunge. The driving experience is very different from a conventional car, and not just because of the electrification and the "one-pedal driving." Just about everything, and I do mean everything, runs through the touchscreen. I think I read that in the newest vehicles (including the newest iterations of existing models) they're even trying to eliminate the two stalks on the steering column that you use to shift gears, activate the turn signals, and operate the windshield wipers.

The Musk Industrial Complex- Reuters

You gotta read this one by Reuters in  a series of reports on all of Musk related companies and yes some include toxic work environment at Tesla and Space X. Plus this article showed how his companies lawsuits are like outside of Twitter. 

mgk920

Gee, who could nave seen THAT coming in the market for battery-electric vehicles . . .

Mike

bing101

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2024, 02:02:24 AMIt appears there's about 140k employees with Tesla. They did a round of layoff in 2022 also. At the end of 2021 Tesla employed about 100k, and quickly grew after that, including after those layoffs.

It should be noted that other large US car manufacturers have announced layoffs recently also.
Agreed too. Only difference here is that Elon Musk hogs the spotlight. 

vdeane

Quote from: bing101 on April 16, 2024, 01:33:44 AMAlso the issue here is that Elon Musk is the CEO of multiple companies at the same time how does he manage all of his operations from SpaceX, Tesla, and X.
It's worth noting that these are companies that he bought, not founded.  And given the debacle that the Twitter/X thing has been, I question whether these companies are successful because of him, or in spite of him.

Basically, he's successful because he has an army of Zhu Lis under him who do the thing.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 16, 2024, 11:43:35 AMThis isn't particularly surprising as a) the EV market gets more saturated and b) Elon continues to alienate his core demographic through some of his random outbursts and political stances.

Tech bros love the guy and seem to make up the bulk of the Tesla buyer demographic nowadays.

Scott5114

Quote from: bing101 on April 16, 2024, 01:33:44 AMAlso the issue here is that Elon Musk is the CEO of multiple companies at the same time how does he manage all of his operations from SpaceX, Tesla, and X.

Easy! He doesn't.

Which is probably good for the companies he isn't trying to manage at any given time...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2024, 09:28:51 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 16, 2024, 11:43:35 AMThis isn't particularly surprising as a) the EV market gets more saturated and b) Elon continues to alienate his core demographic through some of his random outbursts and political stances.

Tech bros love the guy and seem to make up the bulk of the Tesla buyer demographic nowadays.

bing101

https://apnews.com/article/musk-pay-compensation-corporate-registration-ef5e30f6b56f7d936f8c882fc1c96875   

Tesla asks shareholders to restore $56B Elon Musk pay package that was voided by Delaware judge

bing101

Here is another story on Musk and the Hyperloop.

bing101

And now the cyber truck gets a recall.

Scott5114

Other reading I've done on the subject indicates that this failure occurred because the plastic bezel that goes over the pedal is small enough that when the adhesive is added to secure it in place, it becomes too snug to easily put into place. So to work around that they decided to put soap on it as lube. Which ends up breaking down the adhesive.

Total amateur hour at Tesla.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

CtrlAltDel

Well, one former manager at Tesla described Musk as a pigeon CEO, that is, "he comes, shits all over us, and goes." A bit biased, but a bit funny as well.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.