News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Overweight Truck Collapses ND bridge

Started by SteveG1988, July 24, 2019, 02:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

42 Tons, 2 tons over the federal max weight limit went across a ND bridge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/too-heavy-big-rig-collapses-100-year-old-bridge-north-n1032676

It looks to be the 3rd Ave NE bridge outside town over the Goose River.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mrsman

The article goes into more details, but what is interesting to point out is that not only was the truck 2 tons over the general limit, the limit for the bridge in qn was only 14 tons.

I can't imagine anyone going over a rickety wooden bridge with a big truck would say, yeah I can handle it.

jeffandnicole

QuoteThe Northwood Bridge, also known as the Goose River Bridge, was called historic in application documents to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 because it is the oldest documented bridge in Grand Forks County.

The Northwood Bridge is a pin-connected Pratt half-hip pony truss, and the Pratt design saw widespread use in North Dakota and across the nation in the early 20th century, according to the application documents.

If it had widespread use, why was it placed on the National Register of Historic Places?  Artifical boundaries, such as county lines, shouldn't be used as a determining factor for the register.  If there was already one or two on the register, then this one doesn't need to be there.  Some people/governments/organizations use the register to protect things they don't want replaced or taken for other projects, which isn't supposed to be the intention of the register.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.